A mining story...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CoryLovesYou, Mar 10, 2015.

1. I have been mining Years, PC and Xbox, and well...Never died :p.
    Although, I think a long time ago (When i was a noob :rolleyes:) I died with 2 iron ore and was annoyed
  2. I love this thread already!

Well, worst experience... So far I got lucky and managed to get (most) my items back after death, but I do have an embarrassing story to share ;)

This happened a few weeks after I joined. Before that time I still had some doubts and concerns about EMC. Not so much EMC itself, but I did wonder if this was really the server I wanted to spend my time and efforts on. So one day I made up my mind and shifted all my attention to EMC (no more 'server experimenting', I only play on 1 MC server btw.).

What better way to celebrate than to go mining? With my trusty self-made gear: (dyed) leather boots, iron chest & leggings and a dia helmet.

All went decently well. I had set up a small base with a bed (and ender chest) but I got hopelessly lost in the huge caverns. Eventually I had to dig my way up (at that time I had also ran out of torches, so I had to place, dig, go back and recollect, go up and repeat). But I made it!

I even ended up in a nicely lit cave (!), which looked pretty cool in the night. So the sun comes up, and the combination of light from the cavern and the sun (so I assume) gave the mountains ahead of me a very peculiar look / color. So I slowly walked towards them, even mumbling that this game looked pretty awesome at times.

And that's when I fell / stumbled into lava :eek: I walked slowly, so instead of looking where I went I simply assumed I was crouching. Which I wasn't :rolleyes:

I did manage to make it out just in time, then I panicked a little and did the only "smart" thing to do: I ate some food and ran back to my base. After which a skellie sent me a nice surprise ;)

Spawned at the base, made a stone sword, ran back (wasn't too far away), found my items and then a creeper came along.

Not to worry though; I had a pretty powerful sword which could kill that creeper with 2 - 3 strokes (enough to come up close & kill a creeper without (too much) risk).

Just to bad that sword wasn't equipped at that time, and creepers don't really mind stone all that much.... :D

Eventually I got most of my spoils safe, but... That wasn't one of my brightest moments ;)

I can laugh about this now, but boy, I was annoyed / mad back then... :)
    607 likes this.
  3. well, there was this one time where i punched iron ore, and this other time where I made a hidey-hole out of sand. I have never died when doing proper mining on PC.
  4. When caveing, I used to get lost every single time. It came to the point I never went into caves again.
    I got my diamonds from strip-mining (using a stone pickaxe) which is exactly why I had very few. :rolleyes:
    My latest mining death was quite embarassing as well. ShelLuser will probably remember this. I found a pocket of lava, with some coal in the side of it. So I went to mine the coal, not sure what I was thinking. So, I mined a coal ore block, and the lava started flowing towards me. Instead of running from it, or blocking it with blocks, what did I do? I took a screenshot. >.<
    Now that's what I call a stupid death.
    PenguinDJ and ChickenDice like this.
  5. I was mining today, and then azoundria showed me the best way to get obsidian. The trick was working fine, until I forgot to move my water source and rather than flowing and turning the lava into obsidian, it pushed me into the lava. :mad: I had 3 diamond picks and loads of resources on me. :( I starved to half a heart running to get food :)rolleyes:), and then I went back into the mine with an iron pick. I finished off my mining tunnel, and got to level 30 in the process. Azoundria kindly gave me a diamond pick, and I got EFF. 3, UNB. 3, and FOR. 2 on it. Not too bad, but I could go for a FOR. 1 or 2 book now. Also an EFF. 2 or 3 book would be nice.
  6. Fortune I and Efficiency II books won't help you with that pick. In order to boost a level, you must match the current level of the enchantment.

For example, to boost the Efficiency III to IV, you'd need an Efficiency IV book.

If I were you, I'd just keep enchanting picks.
  7. I just was clearing out a nether fort, died, and now stew's got mah stuff :l
    AmusedStew likes this.
  8. The thing with that is I would waste picks if I got the wrong enchant. It would also be throwing away a hard-earned level 30 (well, I got it in 15 mins, but still...).