2 doors acting as 1

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Astromath1959, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Is there a way (with/without redstone and without the use of command blocks) to connect 2 or more doors to act as a single piece hinged door.

I'm possibly looking to giantize a building in the frontier and need giant sized doors and trapdoors. That is, instead of 1 block equaling 1 meter (~3 feet), equate 1 block with 1 foot. This would produce a double-sized building. That means a normal 2x1 door would become a 4x2 door.

It would be great if the 4x2 door could act like a normal 2x1 door.

I could make the building smaller if there were vertical slabs as well as horizontal. But there doesn't seem to be any mod on the approved list that can do vertical slabs (at least that I could find). The walls of the building are not 1 block thck. (they're not even a half block thick).
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  2. You could perhaps utilize observers or something if you wanted to use trapdoors. But I would always recommend for large doors to go with a slime block / honey block piston door. Those are quick and the size can almost be infinite (given lag and chunks loaded).

As for vertical slabs, Mojang themselves have outright denied such an addition. While there are mods for them for your own personal use in Singleplayer, EMC will not add such mods to the server so EMC will sadly never see vertical slabs.
    607 and Equinox_Boss like this.
  3. That's the thing. I want the 4x2 door to act exactly like a 2x1 door. From what I can see, that's impossible.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  4. Well if that's the case, then you're out of luck sadly.
    607 and Equinox_Boss like this.
  5. ummmmm i think leaves might transmit the change signal? idk if it would carry tho
  6. Maybe with obsevers? Under the doors and when one opens, it powers them all and de-activates the observer inputs, and then after a brief delay closes them all again and the observers are ready to active again?
  7. The hinge of a door will always be the hinge of a door, you cannot open it with a different opening place.

You seem to want something like this, which isn’t even buildable in survival, to open as one:

An at least buildable structure would be something like this:

But that, still, would just be a bunch of trapdoors, not something that opens at one hinge.
    You could just go around that by doing something like this:

This looks decent when closed and can be opened, but doesn’t look good when opening or opened.

After this, your only options are piston doors or command blocks.
    With piston doors, there are plenty of fish in the sea, but if you want to get something that opens quickly whilst looking good I would suggest a SpaceWalker door:

He has made many that, like this one, use 0-ticks to open absurdly fast, whilst still remaining relatively small and useable. They are also usually quite robust, which is nice :p

As for command blocks, if you want a proper animation, you could go the Particle route:

This is something that is both really cool and paractically useless, because, at least to me, it just looks like particles and doesn’t feel at all like something that fits in the vanilla game, but I guess it could still be an option.

If you have the luxury of knowing other people run optifine, you could also re-model an entity in java, give it ai:0, and then give it, uhm, “door AI” by making a door.mcfunction file and adding the code for your door there.

There is one last better option, the only way I can think of in which you can actually 100% do what you want to do, which not only demands you use command blocks and a texture pack, but also Bedrock edition instead of Java. I wouldn’t actually use command blocks, though, just use some .mcfunction files in your behaviour pack.

Basically, you can add custom entities in bedrock. A guide on which you can find here:
    https://wiki.bedrock.dev/guide/custom-entity.html
    The only way I can see you can create an actual functioning 2*4 door in Minecraft is with Bedrock development: create a new entity that is your door, and give it the ability to be ridable by a player.
    Whenever you spawn it, spawn it being ridden by an invisible copy of itself. When the player then clicks it, the player cannot ride it (it is already ridden) but the player does activate the isRiding event, which you can detect in your .mcfunction.
    When it detects that, it changes a tag from “closed” to “opening” and runs another .mcfunction (that runs on all doors with that tag) to rotate it in the appropriate angle. Count down a number of ticks with a scoreboard and remove the tag “opening” and set it to “opened” when the rotation is finished. Now do the same with “closing” to “closed.” You’re also going to need to add a tag “clockwise” and “anticlockwise’ and make those be detected for in you .mcfunction as well.

That’s all the answers I have got for you. If none of this suits your needs at all, I guess you’re out of luck, I think of myself as knowing quite a lot about Minecraft :p
    607 likes this.
  8. Well, command blocks are not allowed in survival here on EMC.
  9. Most of Egeau's solutions were indeed not specific for EMC. I also read over you looking for an EMC solution at first.

Um, no, it would produce a triple-sized building, so a 2x1 door would become a 6x3 door.
    Egeau likes this.