12221 (+mm): What should we do next?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by triphora, Jul 4, 2021.

1. 5 months ago yesterday, I, GreenMeanie, and TheFryedmans set our eyes on an ambitious goal: rebuild the entirety of 12221, formerly known as Miner's Discount (+mm). With an absolutely overwhelming amount of community support, donations, and hours of work put in, we got a massive amount of the build done, completing the bulk of it (only a little bit is actually left to build). Our plans were to set up temporary shop signs, allowing M4ster_M1ner to set his shop signs back up once he returned. However, it appears that M4ster is not returning any time soon. After finding this out, we got quite discouraged. Maintaining a mall is not something that any of us were cut out for, let alone something we planned to do for months or years. Only a tiny bit of work has been done between then and now, unfortunately, and it's been bothering me quite a lot recently. We set out for a goal of a few weeks, and here we are 5 months later, not doing anything.

We've taken from the community to rebuild this mall, and we haven't yet given anything back to show for it.

Our question to you: what should we do next? There's no "just set up the shop signs"; we simply can't run a mall long-term. Please give your suggestions as for what we could do to help open this mall and give back to the community like we intended to do almost half a year ago.

Thank you.
  2. As someone who has lived on SMP6 for most of my time on EMC (until mid 2019), I'll throw my thoughts on this out there:

Personally, I'm really glad to see that you guys took time out of your life to preserve a very integral of SMP6. Back when I joined EMC in 2015, SMP6 used to have a lot of players. Most of which would either visit +GG or +MM for their items/goods. I recall going back there on multiple occasions just to get more diamonds, or to empty my pockets of nether quartz. It was truly an integral part of SMP6.

Unfortunately, I do not believe that you guys should dump much effort into recreating his shop so you can "bring it back online". MasterMiner has long since lost interest in EMC, and SMP6 is quite literally a ghost town these days. It's much worse than it was when I left SMP6 in mid 2019.

If anything, since you guys have put to much effort into it, why not turn his shop into a museum? It'll allow you guys to complete his shop, but preserve it by putting it on display for all to see! I'm very sure that some OG players of SMP6 (myself included) would love to stop by and see what the history of SMP6 was like, back in the server's heyday. :)

That's just my own thoughts, being one who has seen the progression of time on SMP6 from when I joined EMC in January 2015 to when I left SMP6 in mid-2019.
  3. Finish the build and then just keep it from going derelict. It doesn’t have to be open, in my opinion. Preserve history. :)

Or it would be Cyberpunk 2077 part 2
  4. what of the 10 million+ rupees in donations?
    ChespinLover77 likes this.
  5. It wasn't 10 million, but yes, we do need something to do with the rupees and stock donations if we are to make it a museum...
  6. Is there a way for others to help carry that burden? What is the ongoing cost and how can the community help?
  7. I personally was sad to see mm go and yes i haven't been here as long as the OG's but it was a very big part of me discovering emc and staying around(also mr.colt45). I say if someone's willing to make an alt, name it masters_legacy or something along those lines and funnel the donations in to that account and let the mall do its job and preserve history. The way the mall was set up was working far longer then master was playing. So as far as maintaing wont take much cause it'll allow people to buy and sell and that's what the economy needs is a reason to stick around and make ruppees and also have the buy option. You may say theirs a lot of malls out their that do the same thing and their is but theirs not alot that have that sell option anymore which in my opinion is the thing that keep diving into the economy. So i say someone rich enough that spends enough time on emc to restock a few things or that has a decent stock available take over in masters legacy. :)
  8. I would gladly offer my wallet and experience, however it's the constant keeping up with prices that I *really* wanted to avoid. (unless someone wanted to do that part for me and just tell me what to switch and when)
    Kryarias and ChespinLover77 like this.
  9. 12221 was one of my big sources of income. I used to restock the enchanted armor, ices, nether stars and more. It's by offering *both* buy and sell a lot of items take care of themselves (Like Todd's place, 2000? did as well). Most shops only sell, they don't buy or they buy at ridiculously low prices compared to what they sell it - that is short sighted for sure. One feature I really wish EMC had is "group rights", both for Outposts and stores, so the responsibility can be shared, reassigned, etc. I guess on a res you can "sort of" do that but I don't know much about that feature as I haven't really used it.

Are there any other stores that even come close??
    liamwill likes this.
  10. Also, I would assume MM had a significant balance of rupees - can someone ask him to donate those since he's leaving?
    NuclearBobomb and liamwill like this.
  11. Could it operate as a shared-ownership mall with different players taking responsibility for different "departments"?
  12. turn it into a museum of EMC Malls

Joy_the_Miner likes this.
  13. i never saw the point of rebuilding it in the first place, but whatever i guess

finish the build, leave it empty. there are plenty of other malls you can go to on emc, i dont see why this one would need to be reopened.
    UltiPig likes this.
  14. But what other stores are BUYING from other players? Any good ones?
    sonicol likes this.
  15. I buy from players. It helps, but doesn't take all of the burden off.

Turning the departments over to different players in a co-op situation makes sense, actually a lot of sense.

Keeping a major mall going with major funding is a good reason to finish it. Different folks like different shops for different reasons.
    liamwill and sonicol like this.
  16. katy's store, +Ssrc on smp2, cardinactions stores on smp8, 5 and 2, czarina_julie on 5, faded's store on 8

that is just off the top of my head

a store is only good to sell to if people actively buy from it, so why not bring attention to these others stores instead of being stuck on bringing this one back?
    Windylava and liamwill like this.
  17. Thanks, I'll definitely check these out.
  18. It’s been awhile since I’ve been out to the sw,se..etc… spots in the wilds. So when you go to those there are nether portals… if someone hasn’t yet. Go through them and create nether hubs there with portals back and all the bells and whistles.
    liamwill likes this.
  19. wait you can do that?
  20. Brain is fried, can’t tell if this is sarcasm or not. But if not I was thinking something that is public area like enchanting spot and has like an area to kill withers and furnaces and safe places to wait for friends to join.