1.12.2 update

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by Vortixin, Sep 28, 2017.

1. wait so y we have to use 1.12.2?
    did emc not expect this?
    is this a force change by mojang?
  2. Awww I miss all the fun stuff ;).
  3. EMC is updating to the latest minecraft version, as it always has
  4. Aikar wanted to update EMC to 1.12.2 (to keep the server up-to-date, of course) before he went to bed, and he overlooked some things that needed to be changed.
    I recorded a video of some of the bugs!

(BugsInAction) :p
  5. well on the 1.12.2 stuff, It actually wasn't an overlook.

There was 2 sets of problems tonight.

1) Command bugs - caused by work I did a month ago to our command framework that I forgot wasn't already deployed and had more impact than I expected
    2) Client Support - caused by one of the bungee servers failing to update. The bungee servers (The thing that lets you switch servers without disconnecting) give you a random one each time you connect, and if you got unlucky and got the unupdated one, you had issues. Caches would then tend to keep you on that bugged one for a while.
  6. 1.12.2 Blows. Mojang dropped the ball on this patch.
    Tbird1128 and FadedMartian like this.
  7. Go back to 1.8
    PenguinDJ, FadedMartian and deathconn like this.
  8. *suppressed laughter*
    JohnKid and FadedMartian like this.
  9. The best update is the 2010 Halloween Update, Alpha 1.2.0 is where it is at.
  10. Being one of the (many) people who keeps the official Minecraft wiki up to date I'd appreciate it if you could tell me why you dislike it so much (maybe in a PM)?.

See, as far as we know all 1.12.2 did was change the logo and fix some bugs. If it's the logo change you dislike so much then yeah... I tend to agree a little bit. But if there are any in-game changes which you're aware off then I'd love to hear about those for a possible addition to that page.
    Baradar67 likes this.
  11. I wouldn't blame Mojang, seems everything went downhill when Microsoft bought Minecraft.
  12. That might be a discussion better held elsewhere (like the General minecraft forum or Controversial forum).

Don't forget that the staff are monitoring this forum for problems, and right now we're generating 'false positives'. Not a huge issue, but it might be easier on them if we continued this topic somewhere else.
    Tbird1128 likes this.
  13. Couple of comments and an inquiry :

I just went to my parents house on Tuesday night and updated their computer and made sure I only updated Minecraft to 1.12 so my nephew could get back on the Empire :confused:

I am not trying to generate false positives :eek:

Why could we not continue to use the 1.12 version and allow the update to 1.12.1 or 1.12.2 if there were not significant changes made? I remember in the past that several versions were allowed to connect.

Guess I gotta update a lot more now, and my nephew is gonna arrive at his grandparents...they are going to think it is fixed and works...and nope...heh...bummer :(

Oh well... I am Happy that the Empire keeps progressing and growing :)

Regardless of the ironic setback I have run into, I applaud the fine work the Dev team does to support such an awesome server. Keep up the Good Work!

KnightZer0ne
    Tempered Outpost Founder

Still eagerly awaiting Empires :D
    ShelLuser likes this.
  14. love this post
  15. breaking the off topic stuff to a new thread.

Ultimately, we updated because I had pending server level changes that needed to go out based on the newer server version.

I am a core team member for our upstream project Paper (which is an improved version of Spigot/Bukkit), and it's important that we can keep up to date with our upstream.

A lot of my work is something that isn't unique to EMC, so it's put directly into Paper.

Find a bug in MC, or performance improvement? I put it in Paper.

I then update our baseline to the latest Paper version.

To not update Paper, requires me to do even more work to back port every change I want in our version.

This requires A LOT of extra effort maintaining our code. I actually did this for 1.12.1 to let us go longer without forcing it to give time for mods to update.

Again, I gave time for mods to update, and from what I've read, 1.12.1 mods on many cases still work for 1.12.2 because the update was rather small.

I also had a very important code change that needed to go out to help recover some lost data, so we NEEDED to update.

And finally, it was obviously very annoying to people who connected with 1.12.1+ and their recipe book didn't work.

TL;DR: It's more time and effort that I don't have to stay on older versions AND release changes (sure not even touching the code is the least work, but do you really want that for EMC?). We must keep up to date with upstream code changes.
    Sazukemono and ShelLuser like this.
  16. Well, Aikar explained the updating part, but to address your issues with having to go to your parents place to fix their Minecraft version: have you ever heard of TightVNC? It's a program that allows you to take over a remote desktop using the Internet, and it might be the perfect tool to help you keep your parents computer up to date without actually having to go there.

If you'd like I'd be more than happy to help you set this up, just drop me a PM and we can sort this out to see what setup might be best for you.
  17. I am familiar with Virtual Network Connection programs and do have one installed on their computer. I was not trying to complain in the least, just found the timing to be really wild. I probably haven't updated that minecraft since 1.10 or 1.11, and just found the timing very coincidental. I think it is awesome ALL that Aikar does to help further the Minecraft community at large, and it's impact on the Empire.

It could be something similar to dropping your keys as you get in your vehicle to go to work, and then you find your self just a couple seconds from making that red light, which then allows granny to get in front of you and you find that you are really getting delayed now, and due to leaving so late, which may cause you to arrive to work late.

Is that the granny's fault.

No.

Should have left sooner (Should have updated that minecraft long before 3 days ago) so as to give ample time to reach destination safely and on time. The thing is, sometimes things like this happen for a reason. I actually went back to my parents house a few hrs ago / last night to fix a toilet that I learned about from a couple nights ago. If I had not gone there to fix that minecraft and update their computer, I would not have learned of their other need.

So how does this tie in with version update? Well, I have also seen far too many times that I have left late, gotten frustrated due to my own seemingly self inflicted tardiness, only to get down the road and find that I somehow just missed a major wreck or maybe that state trooper already has someone pulled over which would have been me. As Aikar said, we NEEDED to update, and I am confident that is also working on our behalf as a community to prevent us from a catastrophe that we might have wound up in otherwise.

Thanks Aikar for always looking out for our Community and doing all the stuff we don't even know about.

I look forward to coming home from work tonight and investing some time updating and getting back in the game.

This also gives me a reason to visit my parents again this weekend. :)

Have a Blessed Day All,

KnightZer0ne
    Tempered Outpost Founder
    ShelLuser likes this.
  18. Thankfully most of my mods have already been updated, or I'd be doing a whole new level of complaining.
    PenguinDJ likes this.