Working Android Game free and growing

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by just_five_fun, Aug 1, 2014.

?

Would you be willing to try this game?

Poll closed Aug 8, 2014.
Yes, I will try it right now. 13 vote(s) 43.3%
Yes, I will try it some other time. 3 vote(s) 10.0%
Yes, but I am having a problem 2 vote(s) 6.7%
No, I don't care if you fail at your attempts enough to try. 0 vote(s) 0.0%
No, I don't have an android device 13 vote(s) 43.3%
No, My device won't let me install from the google play store 1 vote(s) 3.3%
I'll think about it, but never take any action 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tried it out, I at first thought I was gonna have to get a stylus, but glad I read that I can zoom on my phone :). I'm not big on dying and having to restart and losing everything, but I'm willing to give this a go. Are you planning on a save option or is this going to be the way the game plays permanently?
    just_five_fun likes this.
  2. Ha ha, love Android :) Always had one and will never get an iPhone. I'm downloading it now and I'll leave feedback :)
  3. The game was updated this morning if anyone wants to update to the newest release. The version that is currently going into testing will be available next week and it will be a HUGE improvement including lots of new content rather than just fixing bugs or adjusting controls like some of the earlier releases.

I can't say thanks enough to the people who have tried this out and responded with positive and constructive feedback. You guys are great.:D
  4. I like the idea of a save option. The game design is flexible, so it will depend on what people want. I'm thinking that the difficulty levels will eventually include unlimited, fixed number of lives, and hardcore, with adjustments to score based on what you select. The rapid changes in the game would have broken saved games with many of the updates, so it's been on the back burner. Drink some of your health potions so you will be strong and ready to fight.
    607 and PandasEatRamen like this.
  5. I'm getting the error message this app does not support my android version :/
    I've an Samsung Galaxy S Advance which runs on 2.3.6 and will not get any update as its to old
  6. How much do you work on this every week? :)
  7. A ton of work has gone into this each week for the past 2-3 months so that it would be playable and of good enough quality to distribute. Hopefully in the future, adding game content won't be quite so much work. My brother has been working nearly full time because he knew java, but had to learn android along the way.

As for the issue with older versions, I will look into what breaks in the earlier versions, It might not even be possible to make it work because so many changes were made to the android system in such a short time. A device that is 3 to 4 years old is very old in terms of android. In contrast, the computer I am building the android code on is 10 years old.
  8. Your device is android api 10 and our minimum compatible version is currently 11. The minimum is a soft limit, I'm not sure what the issue would be and since you asked so nicely, I will try to recompile on api 10 and see if I can cut a release just for you. I can't promise to do it with every release, but if you are willing to test and rate it, I'll see what I can do. Same applies for anyone else having this problem.

When developing, android forces you to pick a minimum version. The information that we looked at showed that less than 10% of android users are on pre api 11 deices. The people who sell android stuff would rather we force you to buy a new device.
    Lukas3226 likes this.
  9. It would be really nice of you if you try to do so :)
    If it takes too much work and time, you needn't to do it just for me or the <10%, than you could better invest the time in working on other planed features ;)
    just_five_fun and 607 like this.
  10. I was able to build with the 2.3.3 compiler, so that should allow you to run it as far as I know. If you are willing to give it a try, I would email you an apk file. You would then use the apk to install rather than downloading from the google play store. You would get a strongly worded warning about installing unofficial and not recognized signed applications to your android. If you choose to accept anyway, I expect it will install just like any other app. This is how we had to test before we got accepted by google play so that is how I know what it does.

So send me your email in a private message and I will get it out to you asap.
    607 likes this.
  11. For smaller phones,it is somewhat of a hassle to zoom in everytime. I would like to see a option where the game automatically zooms in for you. Oherwise, it's decent.
  12. I'm not happy with the zoom at the moment either, but there are issues with memory allocation that are being a real hassle. I've been looking into alternatives, but I'm also working on other features. I am sure the zoom will get fixed, but maybe not for a little while so that the inventory system and a lot of other items and game elements can get introduced first.
    607 likes this.