Wild base protection

Discussion in 'Frontier and Player Outposts' started by dresden72, Mar 28, 2014.

1. a portal on top of a portal in the nether i think makes that the linked portal its usually better to build a small rail system to get away from the myriad of portals around nether spawn others will probly know better then me tho
    dresden72 likes this.
  2. thanks for your insite. I will look into them and see about setting up the portal system prior to dismantling. finding a area way out in the wild is what also needs to happen prior to doing anything. About two weeks ago i was on and had started scaning the live map and noticed several outpost have been generated on the outlying area's of the wild. This might be our best bet and our only hope to ever stop this from happening. Like you said who did this griefer tell, who else knows about this area. Yes we put a ton of time into it and its very very nice but if we can't stop ppl from destroying it, whats the point in trying to maintain it
    dresden72 likes this.
  3. This is a nether portal:
    http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Nether_Portal

The reason people use them to move farther out is because distance is different in the nether vs the Wild. So if you go out 10k blocks in the Nether then it's something like 30k in the Wild. So basically you go to the nether, build a portal and go through it, dig way out, then build another portal and go through it and you're back in the wild.

What bitemenow is referencing is that portals can become linked if they're too close together so to avoid that you usually have to go further out into the Wild before building a nether portal so it's not linked to someone else's portal. It usually takes a few tries before this works out for you. You can test this by building a portal, go through it, then go back through it again and if you aren't at the same portal in the Wild you built then you've done a linked portal.

Hopefully that makes sense. Depending on where your current wild base is you may be able to make some changes there and then hide your nether portal there.
    dresden72 likes this.
  4. Thanks Wkramer79, Yes i understood what he was talking about with "linked" portals. I've ran into this situation a few times. We will probably do just that and find a good location. We appreciate all the support from everyone who has given thoughts, concerns and idea's how to beat this situation. Much much appreication. For me, all this support has honestly prevented me from quiting. I have a better outlook and I'm sure my friends will agree that we see a lot more great EMCer's out there helping then ever before. Thanks again everyone for your support.
    dresden72 and wkramer79 like this.
  5. I have built nether roads and proper portal systems for several wild communities on several of the EMC smp servers.

The scale factor of the frontier wild is 1 block nether = 8 blocks wild. In the wastelands the scale is 1=1 (just in case you were wondering) That means you need to go 1200-1500 blocks out in the nether to get to your required minimum overworld distance from spawn. This way you can easily calculate where you will arrive when traveling thru portals from either end. It's not exact due to how minecraft determines where is a good place to spawn the portal, but it gets you close.

You will want to start at one of the outposts rather than center spawn, and most outposts already have portals nearby and nether roads going in several directions. You will need to do some exploring before you just go plowing through someones existing builds and break their existing portals. The live map is pretty good for this purpose because explored areas show more lighting and man made roads. This is a good place to start.

If you locate a place that you like for your new base, I would be happy to get the portals working smoothly while you focus on other elements of your build, I have gotten pretty good at it.

Perhaps we can help everyone by documenting the process. I have done it several times, so I often forget that not everyone knows how. Not sure how best to balance between teaching players what to do, vs, teaching greifers. Most greifers don't waste time reading tutorials, and if they want it that bad, they will figure it out eventually anyway.

It's also something to consider, to join an existing outpost and use their road/rail, but extend far enough away to have your own borders. This can have it's pitfalls, but so does going it alone.
  6. So I was correct, the thief was logged out in the outpost. He had to break out to get out, that happened in the last 12 hours, 2 crafting tables here: x -10197, z 781. If that helps.
  7. Try using this tool to see who has been around your base.
    http://empireminecraft.com/threads/anti-griefing-tool.17155/
    dresden72 likes this.
  8. Searching....
    dresden72 likes this.
  9. Still Searching... Yes, this whole time
    jkjkjk182 and dresden72 like this.
  10. Actually, using the EMC investigator, and these coordanites, there is 1 person you did not mention in the original post who has been within 10 blocks of that location.
    If you want their name, PM me. I would not give it away publicly.
    Edit:
    It was between 5:36 and 5:42 that they were there.

Edit number 2:
    If you want, I could dig you a nether tunnel that goes as far as 10000 blocks out. All I need are some speed 2 potions, 2-3 EFF2 UNBREAK3 picks and 20 minutes or so. ;)
    dresden72 and britbrit3197 like this.
  11. What server is your base on? I might be able to help.
  12. I believe it to be smp6

Dresden is on there now in the wild
    Dallas was last seen there

And I found a person in close proximity to those coordanites.
    dresden72 likes this.
  13. Ahh. Pffffttt 6 :3 Smp7 is the way to go :D
  14. please PM me and the other mods involved the name so that we can follow up.
    dresden72 likes this.
  15. I am sorry to hear about your case and I am willing to donate both rupees and an extra hand if needed. Also, I just want to say that that was a well-written story.
    dresden72 likes this.
  16. I feel the banhammer is about to come down.
    dresden72 and PandasEatRamen like this.
  17. I can smell the forum apologies lingering
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  18. Those are my favorite lol.
  19. i thought dallas was a part of that wildbase
  20. Killeddallos is the majority builder here. The dude is a total building machine! :D
    bitemenow15 likes this.