Why are warm regions so common?

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by We3_MPO, Dec 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've noticed that in and around the MPO on SMP6 (which I am a part of), from repeated looks at the live map, that groups of warm biomes appear to be far more common in that part of the world than cold regions (but cold regions do still exist, of course). Are warm biome clusters more common than cold biome clusters almost everywhere, or are they around the same frequency on average but varying over tens to hundreds of kilometers?

Any answers are appreciated and thanked.

-We3

EDIT: To clarify, by "clusters" of cold and warm, I don't mean individual biomes, but groups of similar temperature biomes that often stretch for a few kilometers wide.

EDIT 2: Also to clarify, I consider cold to be anything snowy (Cold Taiga, Ice Plains Spikes, Ice Plains, Ice Mountains, FrozenRiver). Warm I think of as Jungle, Desert, Savanna, Mesa, Forest, and Plains (although Forest and Plains tend to spawn just about anywhere that isn't cold, even as islands in oceans and large, deep lakes).
  2. I'm 99% sure its randomized with a code
    We3_MPO likes this.
  3. Global warming
    Roslyn, We3_MPO, fBuilderS and 6 others like this.
  4. +4 respect
  5. If you look at sv outpost to the east of yours its all cold bioms with a few warm ones
    We3_MPO likes this.
  6. The game code chooses which biome needs to be placed with a lot of factors (none of those is actually randomization) one of those is what biome is next to it (as it generates from the center out) so, if you are in a big group of warm biomes, it is very likely that there are a lot of warm biomes around it. Usually groups like this are separated with oceans.(as oceans have temp. +/-0)
    Also, I wonder what you see as " warm" and what as "cold". As usually most biomes are the ones that have "0" temperature (forest, plains, etc.) only a few biomes have a biome temperature of +something or -something. (It isn't based on any scale, 0 is regular, + is hot, - is cold. I beleve there are a few more different biomes with a + as with a -, but I beleve the code is made in such a way it balances it evenly even though that is the way it is. I could look in to that if you really want to know it, but it would take me a hour I don't have. (On my IPad on hollydays currently)
    We3_MPO likes this.
  7. Adding onto what Jelle said, the biome generation was altered several updates ago to "make more sense", where biomes that should be similar temperatures are more likely to be grouped together

EDIT: The change happened in 1.7.2

EDIT 2: https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/1.7.2#World_Generation_2
    We3_MPO likes this.
  8. I consider cold to be anything snowy (Cold Taiga, Ice Plains Spikes, Ice Plains, Ice Mountains, FrozenRiver). Warm I think of as Jungle, Desert, Savanna, Mesa, Forest, and Plains (although Forest and Plains tend to spawn just about anywhere that isn't cold, even as islands in oceans and large, deep lakes).

I was aware of that. I meant that for some reason, warm clusters appear to be more common than cold ones. I was just asking if that was normal, or if my area is just unusually warm on average.
  9. I have explored a long distance (several kilometers) in a singleplayer world with the "Customized" world type, biome size set to one (meaning oceans and groups of biomes are also smaller), and I'm getting the same result. Warm clusters do, indeed, appear to be more common than cold ones. Not just the groups of common plains/desert/savanna and common ice plains/cold taiga/ice mountains, but there also appear to be more jungles and mesas than ice spikes. It seems like temperate regions are roughly half of the mainlands, warm regions roughly a third, and cold the remaining sixth, at least from my experience. However, ice plains, ice mountains, and cold taiga are still quite common biomes on a large scale, and the dominant (sometimes only) biomes on a medium scale in that one-sixth of places.

Due to me having tested this out for myself and gotten multiple responses, I now request closure of this thread.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.