What temperatures would you consider very hot, hot, OK, perfect, cold, and very cold?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by We3_MPO, Apr 7, 2018.

1. It's interesting how the lower bounds of some people's 'perfect's are inside my 'hot' range. :p
    We3_MPO likes this.
  2. Are you sure about that? I know the plains (apart from Texas) tend to have extreme weather in every way you can possibly imagine, but 110 is dangerously hot even if it's dry and -10 is dangerously cold even if it's not windy. You could suffer heatstroke eventually at 110 or hypothermia/frostbite in minutes at -10, regardless of the other conditions. I've never been hypo- or hyperthermic, but I know from others' stories that it's awful and can even be life-threatening.

EDIT: But I'm not telling you how to live or when/how you should die. If you really want to take the risks, you're completely free to do so, as long as it's not hurting others in the process.
  3. Very Cold: below 25
    Cold: 26-40
    Ok: 41-50
    Perfect: 51-70
    Hot: 71-85
    Very Hot: 86+
    We3_MPO likes this.
  4. Very Cold - <7 ˚C
    Cold - 7-15 ˚C
    Fresh/Decent- 15-19 ˚C
    Perfect - 20-20.5 ˚C
    OK - 21-22 ˚C
    Hot - 22-26 ˚C
    Very Hot - >27 ˚C
    We3_MPO likes this.
  5. Very cold ≤ -10°C
    Cold ≤ 2°C
    Decent ≤ 10°C
    Perfect = 19°C
    OK ≥ 25°C
    Hot ≥ 34°C
    Very Hot ≥ 41°C
    We3_MPO likes this.
  6. Yeah, I'm pretty sure. Kansas gets to 110 with decent humidity in the summers, and I used to run to work at about 1pm, and work inside a warehouse without climate control. Hydration keeps you alive. Ran home at 2am, when it would get down to -10 in the winter. The old "show yourself" page, maybe 2016 or 2017, has a pic somewhere of me with icicles on my eyelashes from my breath freezing, and I was sweating when I got home. Got to love thermal clothing.

People who work in climate controlled jobs or kids who are in school don't acclimate like those who work outside. Besides, it's always hotter in bunker gear.
    Xx_Hunter2002_xX and We3_MPO like this.
  7. The record high temperature in the plains is 121F (both Kansas and North Dakota) and the coldest recorded in the plains was -60F (also in ND).
    Xx_Hunter2002_xX likes this.
  8. These are wonderful facts.
    Xx_Hunter2002_xX and We3_MPO like this.
  9. Google "kansas heat wave" and see how many years autocomplete. I lived in Texas, they've got more mild summers than here.
    We3_MPO likes this.
  10. I know, right?! Crazy for such a hot place like Texas that's still in the plains. Maybe it's just that they're warmer on average and in the winter. But if you're looking to avoid heat and humidity, don't look anywhere in the Southeast, either; here in Tennessee, every month except December and January (the time with most of our real "winter weather" outside of mid-March snowy frosts, and even then it's scattered and mild) has had a hot day recorded at some point, and early May through early October average high temperatures and humidity. Early June through late August is like a super summer (which is also experienced in the Mid-Atlantic, the plains, and the rest of the Southeast) where it can easily get well into the 90s on many days, and into the 100s at times in some years. Such 90s/100s temperatures also can (and do) happen any time during those three months, and 90s temperatures can occasionally happen in some other months too.

Pretty much, I'm adapted to the subtropical climate here, and would hate living somewhere as harsh as the plains or anywhere that gets very cold. I kind of even think I'd be BETTER off in a desert, since although it would be hotter, it wouldn't be so humid like the "Mediterranean" and "Humid Subtropical" climate types are.
  11. I consulted Encyclopedia Aphaeaica (wifey-Chan), she said it hit 116 last year. I'm pretty sure it was higher than phoenix for a few days.
    We3_MPO likes this.
  12. Nice thread, We3! It's been interesting to see the answers =).

Very Cold - Anything below -17 degrees (don't go outside without a jacket on in that weather, kids! I can say from experience you don't feel good after o.o)
    Cold - 10 degrees
    Perfect - 50 Degrees - 60 Degrees
    OK - 61-80
    Hot - Anything above 85
    Very Hot - 110 Up (typical summer weather here ;p)

I generally prefer cooler weather, but I sadly don't live in an area with weather like that. I will go for any ice-skating opportunity given to me though ;)
    Prairie_Fire and We3_MPO like this.
  13. While the subtropical deserts are notorious for hot, dry days, they tend to have cool (but not cold) nights that can be, depending on the area and time of year, either clear or foggy. But it seems like your "perfect" is only slightly below mine, and that you are more tolerant of temperature variations, because although it's like a super humid sauna here for about half of the year, the deserts are so dry that they "feel" and "pretend to be" a little cooler than they actually are, but don't feel as bad if it's cool either.

So if you're like me and stay up all night, and you prefer cooler weather like you said, you could go out at night sometimes. Just watch out for all those snakes and tarantulas that may be out hunting at night!
    MoreMoople likes this.
  14. **All in Fahrenheit**
    Very Cold: below 10
    Cold: 10-50
    Ok: 51-67
    Perfect: 67-77
    Hot: 78-99
    Very Hot: 100+
    We3_MPO likes this.
  15. Very Hot is above 100 degrees in freedom units. (Sorry, Fahrenheit.)
    Hot is 80-100 degrees.
    Perfect is 60-80 degrees.
    Ok is 40-60 degrees.
    Cold is below 30 degrees.
    Very cold is below 20 degrees.
    We3_MPO likes this.
  16. It's pretty interesting (and also understandable) how many people have their preferred temperature range not in the middle of their acceptable temperature range, but at the upper or even lower end of it. Apparently, I'm not alone in this regard... :cool::confused:
  17. Very Cold: Anything below 25 degrees. This is where I would put on a heavier coat and maybe gloves. Below 10 would be a heavy coat and gloves if I was going to be outside for an extended period.
    Cold: 40 Degrees, around this temp is when I would put on a light coat.
    Perfect: 67 Degrees - 69 Degrees
    OK: 70-74
    Hot: Anything above 77-81~ (AC would normally be turned on at the upper end here)
    Very Hot: 82~+
    We3_MPO likes this.
  18. Very hot 120°F
    Hot 100°F
    Warm 85°F-90°F
    Perfect 65°F-70°F
    Cold 50°F
    Too cold <50°F

Gotta love the concrete jungle that is the Phoenix Metropolitan Area.
    We3_MPO likes this.
  19. Here is my opinion: (Measurements are all in degrees Fahrenheit)

Very Cold: Anything below 20 degrees. I usually avoid these conditions at all costs, but I have been known to be outside during winter nights if there are stars out. (With a coat, scarf, etc. on of course! :p) However, I don't mind the cold as much as I do hot temperatures.
    Cold: 20 - 35 degrees. The upper end of this range is somewhat tolerable, but as the temperature approaches 20 degrees, I prefer to just stay inside and relax (unless the sky is clear!)
    Perfect: 50 - 65 degrees. My ideal temperature range, preferably somewhere around 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
    Ok: 35 - 70 degrees. My "perfect" category is inside of this category, but this is the range of temperatures that I can tolerate. What really annoys me is the fact that the average temperature inside my house is around 70 degrees, which is right on the border between the "Ok" and "Hot" ranges.
    Hot: 70 - 80 degrees. In my opinion, anything in this temperature range is just plain annoying. As the temperature approaches the upper end of this range, I become more and more reluctant to go outside, even more than usual!
    Very Hot: Anything above 80 degrees. This is the main reason I am usually inside during the summer, with the blinds/curtains closed, a fan on, and tons of ice cream, while playing Minecraft. I don't handle heat very well...

If the sky is clear at night, I will be outside in pretty much any conditions :p
    Sydney4363 and We3_MPO like this.
  20. I actually plan to move to Pheonix when I grow up! Just be glad you don't have to deal with humidity like we do here in the Southeastern U.S., or extreme cold like what the Winters of the north have (of course, that doesn't count Seattle/Oregon or NYC/the Mid-Atlantic though, those places are milder)!