What is your favourite album of all time?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Otus_NigRum, Jul 31, 2018.

1. For me, I would have to go with The Dark Side of The Moon.

The album is one of the greatest, and the greatest of Pink Floyd's. The album brings so much emotion and the music itself is so captivating and totally transforms your world.
    The meaning of Dark Side is one of the deepest and most important meanings to ever come out of an album. The whole album talks about our humanity as a whole, with songs such as 'Money' and 'Time' which speak of our obsession and greed with money, and our waste with time. This whole album ponders on life and ourselves and makes you think.

Not only that, but the album basically pioneered the idea of the concept album, and if you listen to the whole album from start to finish, you can hear that it's all connected, it all blends, the end of one song connects into the intro of another, and so on. These guys were total geniuses

The music itself was so exhilarating and emotional, the guitar on Money, the keyboard and organ on The Great Gig In The Sky, and the bass and drums which push through such a strong structure and relaxed motive which give this album such a punch. Seriously, the drums on this album gave this whole piece of art a life, it was the heartbeat of the album, through the rhythmic groove and steady beat, it created a soul within itself.

Amazing work on part of Nick Mason's talented drumming which gave this whole album a steady heart which pumped soulful life into it, Richard Wright which gave an atmospherically progressive sound with his keyboard and organ, which gave so much emotion, David Gilmour's talented guitar playing which ripped through the whole album with keen timing and memorable riffs, and finally, Roger Water's groovy and steady bass which fueled this album, and most importantly, the lyrics that he presented, total madmen!

JParsonsX likes this.
  2. I have 2 fav albums by Twenty One Pilots:

Blurryface and Vessel: talks about insecurities, has very deep, but also funny lyrics, and has phenomenal musicality and variety of music styles. Some will want to make you dance, others just jam out, and some will make you cry. They are also extremely relatable.

What really stands out to me on these albums is that it’s been over 3 years since I’ve found twenty one pilots and I’ve never ever gotten tired of one song. :)
    Otus_NigRum likes this.
  3. I should listen to it sometime
    JParsonsX likes this.
  4. Loveless by My Bloody Valentine. From a production standpoint, that album is insane. It cost almost £300,000 to make, involved 20 studios, and the wall of noise thing was almost guaranteed to not be a success - and yet it was and changed the face of rock music forever. It was so draining the band hasn't released another album since, even almost 30 years on.

Listening to the entire thing is like being transported to a new world. It's not for everyone, but for those who connect with it, it's amazing.
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  5. Can you explain how it changed the face of rock forever? I still do not understand this album, I understand the talent and thoughtful genius and production, although the fact that they almost went bankrupt with this makes no sense
  6. Previously the intense distortion had only been used to make angry music, while Loveless seeks to capture calmness at most points and the sound tries to explain what being in love feels like. And at that point, the 80s were still coughing and trying to keep their place as the sound of pop, despite having already hit their creative peak and now hitting a point where they had to end and everything sounded the same. Loveless came along and injected something new into the music industry that gave other artists the confidence to do new things, it characterised shoegaze (a rock subgenre) that then became the second biggest genre of the 90s in the UK, and eventually you have most of the major rock bands of the 2000s and 2010s citing influence from that album.
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  7. Must be different in North America then
  8. Not neccesarrily, Black Sabbath already did this even in 1971 with After forever: https://youtu.be/Uzmf8X56gWU

It's not exactly happy, although the lyrics are hopeful, and a lot of the guitar parts sound uplifting and happy, far different from other Sabbath songs. The distortion is not as heavy as MBV, although Black Sabbath was one of the first bands to fully use disortion and create a whole genre from it which still lasts on as one of the greatest and most unique with a huge variety of subgenres.
  9. I'm 19 years old, I'm going to be a freshman in college in the fall, and I still have to say that Ocean Eyes by Owl City is my favorite album of all time, only because it's what got me through 8th grade and high school.

It's not my favorite album so much because the music is good, it just has sentimental value to it. I transferred to a new school for the first time in 8th grade (from a tiny parochial school to a relatively large public school), and as you can imagine it was scary for my 13-year-old self. The school was close to my house, so I listened to this album while I walked to the beat of the music to and from school every single day.

High school took a huge toll on me and I'm still recovering, that's why I took a gap year after graduation. At the time I was experimenting with music, I always found myself going back to Ocean Eyes just for comfort. I was hospitalized for mental health issues in the middle of sophomore year and I remember singing one of the unofficial songs of that album to myself in the shower. I was exhausted, I just wanted to go home.

My music taste has been warped so much since then that I'm not really sure what it is now. It seems like I'm into neo-folk but also punk and some 70s/80s + whatever genre Christina Perri is. (I listen to her mostly because her songs are so fun to sing).
  10. Yeah America had grunge and everything and the people over here hated it and responded by making Britpop. As a general rule, what's popular in the US will not be popular in the UK and we'll develop our own alternative.
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  11. well thank you "UK'ers" for the british invasion in the 60s and 70s :p
  12. Not that it's a album (rather a single), but Wrecking Ball by Miley Cyrus... great song:cool: