What does Autism feel like..?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by autumnrain26, Mar 2, 2014.

1. I read this entire post while playing pentatonix's cover of "Say something", and it almost made me cry. It is really easy just to give up on life, and end it all. But those who have autism have endured it.

When you hear of a suicide story, what do y'all hear the person had? Depression? Mental retardation (No offense made by that phrase)? ADHD? I don't know about y'all, but I've NEVER heard of a suicide story where the victim had autism.

If you have autism, you are the strongest person I have ever known. Hang in there :)
  2. I have tried to suicide a few times in the past. And that is only because I am autistic. It can be very hard to control yourself, especially when you don't have the medication you need.
  3. Hmm, been autistic for my whole life, never needed any medication :S
  4. Some cases are more severe than others...
  5. I am definitely not autistic, but i notice WAY more through my eyes than a lot of people that i know do. I have an awesome eye for photography. Check out Darkhorsephoto.tk to see some of my photos:D! I have a new better site coming out soon doe :D
    607 likes this.
  6. Laurence peek wasn't really an autistic individual, though. He was a savant ...which are individuals with an outstanding ability beyond what general people can do - he did however have a mental disability from a brain malformation, so he wasn't able to do general tasks by himself, like most severely autistic people. Savants -other than what their special ability can achieve, most (but not all) have brain damage and form autistic behaviors ...other people that receive savant-like traits, are perfectly fine - and can function on their own.
  7. Savantism, interestingly, manifests more often in people with autism and Asperger's.
    There are a couple theories on this, but I'm probably not the person to talk about it.
    607 likes this.
  8. This reminds me of the book I read to help understand why my brother was... "different" :/
    Don't know what to say ;3
    607 likes this.
  9. That video makes me want to punch my screen. I can't stand 400 noises at once, can't stand extremely loud noises. When I sleep, every single noise wakes me up. My neighbors yell, I wake up, they shut/slam doors and I wake up. Husband headed to work one day and turned the A/C and the TV off and I could hear EVERY.SINGLE.NOISE. And couldn't sleep. I had to have something drown it out like the TV or this site http://www.rainymood.com/

I'm also not really happy with the reading test. :/ I took it and they gave me a page from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and I scored a 3rd Grade reading level and slower than the average. I retook it and they gave me a page from War of The Worlds and it said I was 21% faster than average. The thing that stands out to me though, the Alice page has more words while War of The Worlds has a bunch of spacing. It gives me the same feeling as the too many sounds at once. >.>

I don't even know if I as ever tested for any kind of autism. Wouldn't surprise me since my mom is not winning any awards.