Welcome new Developers!

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Aikar, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Cool. more developers, more stuff done less time. :) And Aikar can start sleeping more.
  2. woohoo!! Congrats and welcome to the EMC staff!!
  3. Yay, more developers.. It makes me wish my knowledge in C++ was actually worth something now-a-days.. Even though it is a precursor of Java.. I have only ever done good with java using Blockly.. :oops:
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  4. If you ever have some time, I would suggest trying out codeacademy.com it's free and teaches you pretty well.
    Cchiarell6914 and MrUnknownian like this.
  5. >.>
    I'll just be saving that link lol..
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  6. >.>
    It's a pretty good website.
  7. Note, codeacademy is great but it doesn't actually have a Java course (at least last time I checked). Javascript is actually different from Java, and Java is what minecraft uses not javascript.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  8. First step of learning any programming language is understanding generic programming fundamentals, which codecademy will teach you.
  9. Java syntax isn't complicated at all once you've been exposed to it and tried writing simple programs on your own.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  10. Ahh I see. I just used it to start, as Aikar said :)
    cddm95ace and Cchiarell6914 like this.
  11. Yeah, I made that mistake :/

To anyone wanting to learn how to program, I'd recommend learning C/C++ and then learning Java if you want to as well. C/C++ is basically what everything uses except Minecraft and websites(other than Facebook).

Refer to the above. C/C++ is still worth heaps. Java is still only being used because it isn't such a big and complex language as C/C++.
  12. Thats a broad/dangerous statement =P

Realistically C/C++ is a dying language that is only used by people with intense performance needs: Games, Drivers, Computing applications, Embedded applications, etc.

The world is moving into modern fast-paced development, and tons of companies use Java for everything (Hince why Java Developers are paid so well)

Python, Java, JavaScript, PHP, Bash and Ruby are where your going to find more *MODERN* Enterprise apps (Of course their will be many legacy C++ apps), but you will be hard pressed these days to start a new project and justify using C++ in a modern technology company.

Everything is moving to SaaS, so that means web tailored languages. C++ def isn't a good goal to have your mind set on becoming a career.

Java on the other hand... you'll be set in life.
    _Stads_ likes this.
  13. My computer science teacher told me years ago that C++ is a precursor to Java, and that the languages are not really identical but the syntax is similar and easier to learn if you know C++.. :oops:
  14. Well, MANY languages are "C Style", so its more so learn any C Style language and then be good for writing the syntax on others.

Knowing the syntax of C is not going to help you anymore or any less than knowing the syntax of Java.

They are both extremely different in usage, and only have 'similarities', but similarities many languages share.
    autumnrain26 likes this.
  15. Well, C/C++ and languages like that are the things I'd be more likely to use in the fields I'd like to get into.
  16. Big steps! Pirate and just five have dived head first, and now we finally got Pirate set up with his own test server (Which he will be trying to help just five get his running soon too!)

They've been trying to contribute already, but was impossible to test w/o a test server.. so this is a big next step for them.

(Hatori was easier to get running as he uses linux like me and was at my house so i could copy my entire folders :p)
    wisepsn, mba2012, cddm95ace and 3 others like this.
  17. 0100010