Wasteland's Experiment

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Roslyn, Feb 17, 2016.

1. You can also gather these items and get in with someone who is buying for a build. Like samsimx and his diamond pyramid.

You can also gather other items like wood, quartz, the new 1.8 blocks.
    samsimx likes this.
  2. I think what people fail to keep in mind is the purpose of this experiment. Roslyn is trying to show that there are plenty of resources/rupee sources right there in the Wastelands for those that's aren't lazy and go out to mine it. Sure, some numbers may be a smidgen off due to randomness of enchantments, etc, but that doesn't detract from the overall display of what you CAN achieve if you put forth the manual labor.
  3. This is pretty neat! I'm trying to earn 1M rupees ts year, so this is very helpful. Now I just need to get myself a silk touch UNB 3 pick and I'll be good to go.
  4. Hour 1 of Nether Mining

Equipment Used
    Fire Prot. IV, Aqua Affinity, Unbreaking III Diamond Helmet
    Prot. IV, Unbreaking III Diamond Chestplate
    Prot IV, Unbreaking III Diamond Leggings
    Fire Prot. IV, Feather Falling IV, Unbreaking III Diamond Boots

Silk Touch I, Eff IV, Unbreaking III Diamond Pickaxe
    Eff V, Unbreaking III Diamond Pickaxe

Looting III, Sharp V, Fire Aspect II, Knockback II, Unbreaking III Diamond Sword

16 Enderpearls, 64 Steak, 1 Enderchest, and 128 Netherrack

End Result - 1,590 Quartz Ore Mined
    Price Calculated - 34,980 Rupees (Ore Alone and at 22r per ore)
  5. What method of mining did you use to get all this quartz ore?
  6. possibly patience
  7. I believe it's now known as Xray? Don't quote me on that though :p But in all seriousness the fastest ways that I know is to run around looking for surface quarts such as on the floor/walls/ceiling :) When all else fails just strip mine but don't forget your fire res potions if you are able to obtain then :)
  8. This, as you can see I use Voxel map which tracks where I've been in that world, so I just go where I haven't been mine it all up and then retrace my steps. Like Krysyy said above, all it takes is a little bit of hard work and dedication, I did this for an hour straight without doing anything else (which is boring) but I needed the quartz so I went and got the quartz. Enderpearls also help, and I don't use potions or bows. I bat the ghast balls back at ghasts when they shoot and have fun doing so. :p I'm actually heading out again to get another SC. Hour start!
    ShrinkingMatt likes this.
  9. Hour's over, here's the rest of it and all of it in it's naturally mined glory. :p

Same equipment as before, same time frame, I've beaten my record. GG I promise I won't spam this thread any longer.
    Roslyn and Dufne like this.
  10. nuu its okay, I like for others to see proof that its possible to still not have farm and get rich
  11. Yeah but I feel like it looks like I'm gloating and I'm not trying to. :p
  12. Ok, so I ran my own experiment, but more newbie-fied. I went into the SMP5 Waste with nothing whatsoever. No armor, no tools, no food. I used the first outpost that I was teleported to and headed in a random direction. I did not use pre-existing tunnels from the surface. Instead, I dug a fresh staircase, two blocks wide from level 83 to level 11, then a 2x2 tunnel. When it came to selling the items from my excursion, I used "/v +shop" and sold to 3 shops in total, on a first-found basis, without consideration to whether the prices were good or fair.

Total time spent mining was 2.5 hours. The time to find shops that would buy the items I found was an additional hour. I died 6 times. The only food I procured was killing 4 chickens one time on the way back to Spawn. Total profit was 4,146 rupees, an average of 1,185 rupees per hour.

I know this is rather poor results but considering I started with nothing and mined with stone and iron picks devoid of enchantments, crafted from a few trees I chopped down prior to tunneling down and the stone/iron I mined, this illustrates that you can earn a decent amount of rupees in a fairly short timeframe even if you have no gear and have no idea where there are good shops to sell your items.
  13. There are a few on smp2 and elsewhere u just gotta look around some servers are really bad.
  14. Ok, so here's another way for you to make easy rupees. Just mine stone. You can even do it in the safety of town. On SMP5, visit +stone and you will find the giant stone generator (wall of stone). Right across the road you can sell what you just mined, both cobble and stone. There are probably large stone generators like this on other SMPs as well.

Hour 1
    I had a little bit of iron and XP left over from the last adventure, so I made a few iron picks and enchanted one of them with I think 10 levels for Efficiency II. Once those picks were depleted I had some rupees so I bought a couple of diamond picks.
    Cash = 3,404r

Hour 2
    I wasted some time hunting around for shops that would sell enchanted picks because I didn't really want to go earn XP, but wasn't successful. I finally settled on buying books (Unbreaking III, Efficiency V) and another diamond pick.
    Cash = 2,094 r

Hour 3
    Deciding I didn't want to go hunting, I figure a lazy plan to earn some XP. I go to the waste and find the nearest sparse outcrop of trees, chop, replant, chop and gather some saplings. Heading back to town, I make some charcoal out of the wood, make some torches, and plant the saplings with torches to keep up the growth at night. Chop, plant, make charcoal for XP, repeat. I earn enough XP to enchant the diamond pick with Unbreaking III and go back to mining for the remaining 15 mins.
    Cash = 3,318 r

Hour 4
    I decide to buy XP potions to speed up putting other enchants on my pick. I buy a Silk Touch book, another diamond pick, repair my pick and add Eff. V / Silk Touch. Back to mining. Like an idiot I don't pay close enough attention and break my pick.
    Cash = 13,464 r

Hour 5
    I buy a new pick, Silk Touch, Unbreaking III, Efficiency V, and XP potions. Back to mining. I repair twice, ending with my pick at full durability.
    Cash = 18,578r
    Avg. per Hr = 3,716 r

As you can see, I did not approach everything I did in the most efficient manner. I also made a costly mistake. I still ended up with a substantial amount of rupees in a handful of hours. If I hadn't wasted so much time and hadn't broken my pick, I could have easily netted 30,000 rupees (6k per Hr) in the same amount of time. Now you might not be able to do that indefinitely, depending on how often the shop owner empties the chests that buy stone. However, stone is usually in constant demand, so at that point you could just start auctioning off DCs.
    God_Of_Gods likes this.
  15. I assume all the cash you are showing is net of any investment you made in books, picks, etc...
  16. Yes, those figures are net cash on hand after purchasing items, and only includes rupees gained from the venture (not my other personal funds on hand).
    Gawadrolt likes this.