Was this an overreaction?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by synth_apparition, Apr 29, 2013.

1. I can't find an "official" page but I found this and can vouch that:
    NORTH CAROLINA: Legal with restrictions.

Possession and use of self-defense sprays is lawful for non felons so long as the device does not exceed 150 cubic centimeters (150cc). Section 14-401.6.

My husband is an unarmed Security Guard and can't even use Pepper Spray on the job without certifications.
    cddm95ace likes this.
  2. UK Laws are extremely strict on 'weapons' used for self defense, So I doubt you would be able to carry pepper spray on you.
    mba2012 likes this.
  3. Which is why you have a lowish shooting rate.
  4. Yeah, and I think it's best kept that way. :)
    mba2012 likes this.
  5. Like they say, better safe than sorry. You can never be too careful these days.
  6. This is the safest place I can get, as it is right outside my house on the field we have there. Also, unless you're an SAS soldier or a woodland or city exterminator, guns are a no-no.
  7. Do you have any keys or anything you could carry? Here they tell people that if you're attacked in a parking garage or something to stab the person with their keys. This could come in handy since a lot of people usually carry their keys out of habit.
    battmeghs likes this.
  8. Yeah, I have a key, just for getting into the house myself if my mum isn't in after school.
    It also has the shed key on it...
    I don't know how far you'd get trying stabbing somebody with a key, but it would..err... be a worth a try, I guess? :p
    battmeghs likes this.
  9. Are you allowed to carry one of these around?, I think you would find it very helpful:
    images (1).jpg

Also another good tip, if they act strange and you feel uncomfortable, run and scream like you have practiced for it your whole life. If they teach Karate or Self Defense in the area you live in, I'd consider taking these classes as they could help you prepare for a situation in which you must defend yourself.
    EpicWeow4, battmeghs and Adderwolf71 like this.
  10. You did not overreact. Overreacting would be punching the man in the face when he smiled. Or kicking him, or calling the cops and telling them that he was going to kill you. You did fine. I wouldn't have been as brave as you were though
  11. In US you are allowed to carry a concealed pistol if you go through the month long course or so...Though you cannot have it in schools banks and hospitals
  12. He said he took martial arts lessons when he was little. I guess Self Defense is better, and also having it updated could help :p

Here in Spain, using martial arts knowledges to knock down an agressor is fineable. It's stupid, but that's how law is here, stupid.

The key thing is good, but simply carrying in your closed fist something hard that keeps your knuckles from breaking -like a short marker or a big lighter- is enough, you can punch the attacker nose from below, which not only hurts but also lowers his strenght by blinding and confusing him.

Still, screaming like mad just like Amused said is the best thing you can do there. Bad thing is that we usually get muted by the surprise and fear, I know by experience, but the second time it happens you don't hesitate >_<
  13. Well, it's intended to kinda catch them off guard and to make them let you go. There's also the kicking and screaming approach as well. >.>

I've heard it in movies and on tv but there's S.I.N.G. You hit the attacker in certain areas. I've never heard of anyone using it IRL,
    S-Solar-Plexus (Stomach/belly)
    I-Instep (the inside of the foot)
    N-Nose
    G-Groin
  14. This.......this is why i have a knife.......
    (Edit) And a 12 gauge. As well as boxing skills.
    ._.

But no, you didn't ovverreact,
    I would have though, i probably would have ended up killing someone o.o
  15. Creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepy.
  16. I'd get like a little switch blade, as a 12 year old you don't wanna engage anyone, they'll beat the living crap out of you knife or not.
  17. When this happens: Stare right back, then ask them what their dogs name is.
    Adderwolf71 and HylianNinja like this.
  18. What if you're quite tall for your age, like I am?
    I was almost the size of these two guys... I'm just very lanky and they were quite...well... I didn't examine them well enough to tell, but i'd say fat, so they'd take me down easily.
    I also own a pocket knife, i'm just not allowed to use it unless i'm using it for crafts or repairing something or doing homework.
    Whenever I get into fights IRL (it's been a year since I last had a physical fight with someone outside of my family, but i've had plenty of arguments) I usually push them away with my feet. If that doesn't work I usually just welly them in the groin and slam their neck with my fist.
    I could kill them doing that... but it's in self-defense...
    If I had slept properly last night, my joints wouldn't be stinging today. I had been running around before this, and my legs were sore. The fastest I could go was a fast walk with an occasional "break-into-jogging-" spur. On other days, with my adrenaline as high as it was when this happened, I would have ran, and if they caught up I probably would have just walked slower, but waited for a car to come, and then sprint (i'm quite a fast runner on most days...i've avoided being killed several times because of my speed) past it and catch the people off guard. Then i'd get into my porch and be safe :3

What I did today:
    I fast-walked, heard one of the guy's breathing, broke into a small jog, and then felt my leg's joints ache. Then the guy popped up next to me, then my side pains kicked in (usually happens when i'm scared or excited). I'm quite good at ignoring them, so I just fast-walked over the road onto the path near my house. I looked behind me and the two dudes were watching me from across the road. My side pains got to the point where they were unbearable, and my breathing almost ceased. They looked like they were considering moving across towards me again because I wasn't moving (I was bending over in pain and watching them), and then they decided they would try and cross the road. I just went into my porch and they left.
  19. Erm...no...That's asking for a royal-beating.
  20. That's not overreaction, that's punching some creepy guy who has no business walking next to you.