Wanted: Ideas For Large Scale Mining Operation

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bitfed, Jan 13, 2012.

1. I think that it's the third server (smp3)
  2. Hey bifted, I just want to let you know something. I just got gold upgrade (yay!), and I am mostly on Utopia now. My eagerness for this mining trip, however, has not changed, and nor my willingness to work cheap :cool:
    bitfed likes this.
  3. Sorry it took me a couple days, been busy.

Staffing is truly a whole different ballgame. Definitely would be nice to have enough work getting done to require dedicated tool makers, but we're going to need Fortune picks of the highest levels if we're really going to make a profit at this.

Decent and appropriate combination of jobs I think

I think we have enough going back and forth that we probably wont need a dedicated person for this.. Though having one person as a designated fallback gofer would be nice in a pinch.. but that seems like a responsibility that we'd have to pay someone to do, and that we could probably manage ourselves.

Here's where I think that, while a good idea, it's not quite what I had in mind with a big operation. Basically, I want to employ people, including newbs, as miners and only miners. The logistics of the business (ie: toolmaker, cook, etc) will be staff of the company rather than having to deal with the HR nightmare that will be the revolving door of the general workforce.

This is definitely going to require a lot of thought. We're going to need a basic contract we take out with every worker, as well as rules for conduct on site, as well as rules for what may shape up to be a wild colony.

I've actually thought from time to time here, that we need to bring in a mod (sort of like as a law consultant) just so we can ask what sort of rules/laws are already in place in Empire that we could benefit from or protect ourselves with while carrying out legitimate business. Needless to say, I think that if this venture is successful, I would like to make it a permanent fixture on Empire in an effort to add value to our worlds, so some collaboration might be necessary for this to even be possible.

These are strategies for individual miners. If you review up, I've elucidated at points on what I am looking for and think that we need to be successful due to the nature of Minecraft.

We can't just do what any individual can do, because it lacks appeal and also incentive to get and keep others involved. Anyone can Mine in Minecraft, but not everyone knows how to make a little cash, or maybe they don't want to worry about mobs... Or maybe they want to work in a social atmosphere... either way, things like that are what will keep us in business in a world full of Miners.
  4. The site will be on SMP3, but we pay in cash, and people from any server are welcome.

We will offer housing as well, and since it's in the wild, any citizen can have a second home with us. :-D
  5. what is the paying?
  6. NO Diamonds that way. :O
  7. Agreed.

8. We're not sure yet. Enough to make sure any regular non-supporting earner can grow their bank accounts at the same rate supporters do.
    DarkOogaBloop likes this.
  9. Your in-game username: Terr
    Your main 'home' server. (SMP1, SMP2, etc): SMP1
    Your time zone: Central Standard Time
    Times of day you are generally available: Usually night
    You mainly interested in (Choose one): Profits / Mining / Group Work Profits and Mining
  10. Hey Bifted! I would like to be in the staffing, too. I am really good at making cakes, and I have access to 60x60 wheat farm. And I have a chest of wood.
  11. hay i got it at same time but when i go on utopia it laggs so much :(
  12. Staffing applications will be announced at some point.
    DarkOogaBloop likes this.
  13. Hey Bitfed, I thought of some new ideas for this operation.

It would be nice if there was a mod that showed what items other players had in the inventory. That way we could ask each player to turn in their mining finds. There could also be another mod (or we could just use flags, maybe) to make boundaries for the mine so workers can't run away with things like diamonds.

I think that to join this big mining operation, people should have to do an application and go through a tutorial on what mining methods we use or what that person's job is. We might open up a tutorial server for new members where they learn the techniques/jobs we have/use.

On a different note, I think that we should start our mine really far away from town, deep in the wilderness where no one has been before. I was mining yesterday and I discovered a huge cave system and abandoned mine through an underwater cave. It looked like maybe one person had been there before who put up torches but other
  14. That type of modding would require server mods, which are unlikely at best to be installed on Empire even if they existed.

We've got some logistics worked out for stop loss and a spot has been scouted, more coming soon, I've been hard at work. Watch this space and keep the suggestions coming. :)
  15. This has now been sorted, due to the new "TEXP" Update.
    bitfed likes this.