Wanted: Ideas For Large Scale Mining Operation

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bitfed, Jan 13, 2012.

1. I have input to share, but alas I am heading to bed. Consider this a self reminder for myself...Forgive my poor wording. I am tired, lol.

Tomorrow I shall share. As for now...I let sleep take me.
  2. Okay, as promised. My input. Please forgive my potential ignorance, I've been out of the game awhile now. And I haven't played MC MP very much at all. My only experience is a privately owned server with three other friends in the same room.

Surveying:
    Small teams, 2-3 workers. They scout a potential dig site and call in the rest of us to set up shop.

Site setup:
    I'd assume there would be a particular layout in mind. Maybe you had one, but I think it should be a general, or common thing amongst the group. Or at the very least certain people designated to set it up when the time needs. I can suggest a facility or two. A storage area, in which contains many chests, furnaces and some crafting tables. Perhaps lava for disposal purposes(Though I am led to believe we cannot drop things, but I am new, I could be wrong). The area can be guarded, though with no PVP, it would be hard to actually do something other than watch as the valuables are pilfered. But to fix that, perhaps a locked door? Or chest? Either containing special permissions?

Training:
    Assuming the server goers are forum users, we could use it to educate the new workers. Or do it in game. As to what they would be trained in, is dependent on things.

Worker compensation:
    This seems easy, but I know it won't be. A simple method would be a cut, or percentage of what is mined. Should this grow larger, into something more, maybe the items that are gathered, are sold in shops for rupees, which are then used as pay for workers.
    As an added note, hazards are sure to be present. Should death ensue, and loss follow, workers can be reimbursed to a degree. From either "company" goods, or more friendly workers who managed to nab their stuff and willing to return it.

Large scale mining methods:
    I can't come up with any, but if there are many numbers, it wouldn't matter which way a hole gets dug. More people means it gets done faster. Maybe simply just dig a very large space out. But I do see everyone running around mining how they see fit being disastrous. Organization will be required.

Transportation of mined materials:
    Designated people running back and forth from chest to chest? Maybe there are "relay stations" throughout the mine shaft, which a worker with travel between periodically, taking all the goods, returning them and cataloging them in a designated storage area in the "home base" area. Locks could work, but it would be hard for everyone to access the chest to put things in as only certain people have access.

Providing tools/food:
    Perhaps the worker(s) tasked with transporting goods, from the "relay stations", can drop off food rations and replacement tools. At the "main base", in the storage area, could also be a window in which a worker will pass out supplies to workers from inside. Could also be used for nearby workers to deposit goods to be stored away.

Loss prevention:
    Guards for mobs, though I think the majority of workers would be able to handle themselves with a pickaxe alone. As for protection of goods, no PVP to fend off thieves. So either traps, or lock protected storage area(s).
    bitfed likes this.
  3. this is good! why dont we all have locked chests (paid by yourself) and at the end, transfer SOME goods towards the base and keep the rest?

and for loss prevention, i can donate multiple sets of iron armour, and we can brew some fire-resistance potions.

:EDIT: to prevent PVP, why dont we all branch mine with 5 blocks in-between each tunnel (3 should be good) and after making a long tunnel, start more for yourself!

the reason i said 5 blocks is when people find diamonds, they say "I FOUND IT FIRST!" and when you mine it in the tunnel between them, they both get angry :(

:EDIT2: i can also help start the mine, i may be able to donate more iron towards rails for transportation, then we can make tunnels that are 3 blocks in-between them, then after making tunnels we remove the 3 blocks and put a minecart and tracks in the middle of the 5 spaces?
    bitfed likes this.
  4. oh, i am also the CEO and President of "The Minecraft Council" and i was planning to do a project like this, mind if we help?
  5. I completely forgot about mine carts...lol

But I'm not sure what the council of as of yet. Personally I would accept the aide, but I am not the person in charge. Up the them.
  6. Nice :)
    This maybe called as
    "Joint Task Force : Minecraft"
    LoL :D
  7. Couldn't you Silk touch the ore blocks, then take them home and use a fortune pick on them for mining?
    DarkOogaBloop likes this.
  8. Viable, but a bit off the topic of group mining.

To be more specific, I'll refer you to this post in the topic.
  9. I'd be really happy to sit down and talk to you and whoever else is involved about something like this. I'd also like to be clear: I want a for-profit venture.

I live on SMP3.
  10. But I think that wouldn't leave enough incentive for people to come out to the sites to work. I would prefer, and think it makes more sense to pay people on a cash basis.

This leads me to the next point. Everything you put under Loss Prevention is important and I hadn't thought too much about mobs. Many players HATE mobs while mining, and that might be an incentive to keep them coming back. However. I wouldn't cover peoples loss of EXP/Level. I would say that people could leave their stuff in a safe-box before mining, that way if they die, they can just come back and get their stuff.

That way if they're being paid on a time basis...if they die I'm actually the one taking the loss, because the diamonds/etc that fall into the lava are gone, but they will still get paid for their time.

I'm currently trying to work out a good site that I can reinforce a safe path into the wild to. IE: Easy and safe for workers to get to. I'm going to build an obsidian tunnel through the nether to get us farther out.

The type of Loss Prevention that I was referring to, was people being dishonest. If revenue will be running through the business, then people stealing jewels means that they will be a drain on funds and the success of the company.
  11. Yeah. I agree it might be difficult for group.
    But it might work if everyone is trained to place block when they hit a lava and always carry water and others thing as well.
    They must also work as a "group" and put everything they mined in "group chest" then split equally among member and stop saying "I FOUND THIS FIRST" they must work as a group and that everything that mined up is what the 'group' has found. Not a thing that "I found" or "he/she found"
    Food should be provided equally. (though this is hard. As everything have to be extremely systematic. And there are many people that dont do exactly as planned. Example: I mined up 5 diamond. I only say I found 3 and hide the 2 for my own.)

And if the training time is for example 2 hrs. 3 man is 1+2 hours working for 1 hours and getting 3 work hours.
    But if we mine like 4 hours. then it start to become profitable.
    like 2 hours training plus 4 hours working yield 12 hours-worth of digging.

If we select people carefully it might be possible ( Like the supporter-city project )
  12. Excuse me if my idea seem a little "idealism" or "utopianism" :)
  13. It sounds like tons of fun, but I think it would need a mod to keep track of work, it's probably hard to keep track of everyone as they come off and online, we can only have so many managers, and trying to make sure someone is always online would be just as hard as moderating a whole server
  14. ZCarmichael
    SMP3
    Eastern Standard Time
    Anything
  15. Your in-game username: honam1021
    Your main 'home' server. (SMP1, SMP2, etc):smp2
    Your time zone:GMT +8
    Times of day you are generally available:Sundays
    You mainly interested in (Choose one): Profits / Mining / Group Work : Group Work
  16. when i get out of school today (2:00 P.M. American Eastern) i could help prepare more if we are leaving soon
  17. thats fine with me. my mine is pretty much drained of all resources :(

i cant wait till we go, then we could make a great mining trip!
  18. Hey bitfed, I have an idea for this group mining thing. It's not completely finished and I'd appreciated your feedback and anyone else's feedback on this.

Jobs

-tool maker/smelter: makes diamond tools from some of the materials acquired from mining in wilderness and wood, and smelts materials collected from wilderness

-tree chopper/grower/food maker: chops down trees and gives wood planks to tool maker, plants saplings, collects apples, and makes golden apples

-runner: gets materials from wilderness and brings them back to chests in town and gets tools and food back from town and brings them to wilderness

-miner: mines in wilderness for materials, puts materials in chests when inventory is full, and runner takes materials from chests to town

Rules

-any player who doesn’t do their job properly (ex. Keeps materials for themselves) will be banned from this mining group permanently

-

Mining Techniques

-Quarry: Dig a cube-like hole (say 20 by 20 blocks) and collect all materials while making a staircase that leads to bottom of quarry

-Level 12: Dig straight down (or build a staircase leading down) to level 12 and create horizontal pathways

-
  19. me likey!
  20. what server are we doing this on again?