Vrakroth's Guide to Mythical Beasts and Monsters

Discussion in 'Writers' Corner' started by Ritunn, Nov 9, 2016.

1. No picture.
  2. Try posting part of it then edit the rest in.
  3. Name: Wraith
    Myths: Scottish
    Description: Wraiths are dead Sanguimancers who became this way after a failed ritual. They are typically garbed in dark clothing and almost always have their faces covered by a hood. These creatures are the embodiment of terror and associated with death itself many times, simply intensifying the terror they embody.

As mentioned before, wraiths are dead Sanguimancers. They become this way after attempting the ritual that allows them to become a lich. They, however, fail. When the magic is performed wrong, it rips the soul from the body and drives it insane, causing intense pain. The ritual also causes deformities in the soul, making it look terrifying.

Though wraiths were first found in Scotland, they are not only there. Wraiths are seen wherever these foul mages can be found, causing terror to unsuspecting travelers and isolated villages. This simply shows that even in death, hate lives on.

End of Page 38
    _Rem__ and Eviltoade like this.
  4. Name: Satyr
    Myths: Greek
    Description: Satyrs are a race of creatures that are not entirely human in appearance. They range from being either half-goat, with their entire lower body being that of a goat's to simply having a horse's tail and being naked. However, they do all share one trait in common, their love for wine. Thus, they travel with the god of it himself, Dionysus.

Though the satyrs travel with Dionysus, they have a chief by the name of Silenus, he acts as a fertility idol, he's no god however. Silenus is the one who taught Dionysus the secrets of wine making, for this, Dionysus took quite the liking to the wise fool, which is, to my understanding, why the satyrs travel with the God.

Lastly, one thing the satyrs enjoy more than their wine, is their woman. They often chased the woodland nymphs around, as well as Dionysus' fanatic female followers, the maenads. I can assure you that the nymphs certainly never enjoyed being chased, the satyrs were never really ones to say no sadly.

End of Page 39
    _Rem__ and Eviltoade like this.
  5. God I love this thread... :) So many mythical creatures I now know of
  6. Name: Redcap
    Myths: European
    Description: Vile creatures redcaps are. They're fairly similar to leprechauns in terms of size and appearance with some differences. Redcaps have pale skin and wear red caps unsurprisingly, there is however a dark secret to these red caps that they wear, they are stained with the blood of their victims. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if you were to know that they are incredibly vicious after being told that.

Redcaps typically live around ruins, carrying pikes and scythes with them which they use to murder their victims. The victims are typically loan travelers, the last thing they see I hear, are the murderous red eyes of those awful creatures. After the victims are killed, the redcap soaks their cap in their blood. However, if the blood in their cap dries out before the next victim, the redcap will die.

I did once have an encounter with one of these haunting creatures, I was traveling home, appearing as I typically do when using my illusion, when it charged me from the woods. It stabbed me in the ribs, but I was able to behead it with my claws. The thing withered into the ground after I killed it, an interesting thing to note, I was more concerned with healing that scratch from his charge at the time however.

End of Page 40
    _Rem__ likes this.
  7. Cool cool. I mentioned this in the story that we made together. (Thread: Story from EMC for EMC) Some new details about this that I didn't learn about when I first looked at it
    Shadow_Dcord likes this.
  8. Well I did intend to write about them earlier, thought this would be a good time for it.
  9. Name: Gashadokuro
    Myths: Japanese
    Description: If there is a creature you should always fear when travelling at night in Japan, it's the gashadokuro. A skeletal colossus made from the bones of those who have died without a proper burial. It stalks the darkness of the countryside, searching for the unwary to bite off their heads and drink their blood, fueling the energy that lets the foul creature live.

You might expect a giant skeleton to be fairly noticeable. Wouldn't you? However, the yokai is extremely silent, you could even say invisible. It does however make a sound that goes "gachi gachi", while chattering its teeth. This still often fails to give it away.

Protection against the creature is common. The use of Shinto charms wards off the creatures to a certain extent, they are plentiful enough too. The other fashion to make an attempt to protect yourself is the only thing that gives it away. Ringing. When the gashadokuro is close by, a ringing sound will be heard in your ear. All you must do now is run for your life.

End of Page 41
    _Rem__ likes this.
  10. I hear ringing in my ear all the time xD *runs for life even though is not in Japan but mentally is*
    Shadow_Dcord likes this.
  11. Name: Leshy
    Description: The leshy is likely one of the most oddly terrifying creatures I've studied from various regions in Russia. Leshiye are dwellers of the woods who torment or trick any who may enter their forest. Though they are powerful shape-shifters, they typically appear as a giant within their woods and are shorter than the grass we tread on outside of it. They are also accompanied by grey wolves and bears commonly.

The leshy easily leads travelers astray by imitating the voices of loved ones, whistling, and singing out of the sight of their victim's eyes. They lead them deeper and deeper into the woods, until he takes them to his cavern home. Here, he will tickle the victim to death, this is not always the case with every leshy however. Some leshy simply wish to keep the forest safe by tricking those who may seek to harm it.

If you're afraid a leshy may tickle you to death, then there are some odd and extreme measures you can take. The simplest measure is dressing as badly as they do. Simply wear your shirt backwards and put your left shoe on your right foot. If you wish to take a drastic measure, you can burn the forest down. The leshy will be concerned with putting the fire out and you can escape, yet you'll be forever an enemy of Gaia for the harm you've done.

End of Page 42
  12. Name: Black Dogs
    Description: Black dogs are a variety of hellhounds, demonic canines, that bear a symbol of death wherever they go. Appearing as large black dogs with ethereal, glowing red eyes. They are a disturbing sight to see for travelers of old roads, crossroads, and abandoned paths on dark and dreary nights.

These creatures are found all around the Isles, but the most frightening lives in England. It's a creature named the Black Shuck, a name that translates to "black demon", it haunts the roads and forests of East Anglia. It shares many similarities with many of the other black dogs, except it sometimes is seen floating on a dark mist or even headless. Though many black dogs bring death where they go, those who see the Black Shuck shall die before the year ends.

Not all black dogs are purely evil, even with all that you've now learned. Black dogs are sometimes known to warn people of danger and protect those who call for their aid. Like any dog, they are still loyal to those who deserve it.

End of Page 43
  13. Name: Banshee
    Myths: Irish
    Description: The banshee is a fairy that foretells the death of humans. Clad in a grey cloak, a red dress, and with pale white hair, they can be beautiful young woman, or old ugly crones. Though they could be disturbing or alluring, they are never the cause of death.

The way banshees foretell death varies. Commonly, it will keen. Keening is an old Irish tradition where a woman weeps for someone at their funeral. Some take a grimmer approach and can be found by the person who is to die near fords. Here the banshee can be found washing the doomed person's clothes, these clothes are soaked in blood.

Many Irish families have their own banshees who will be the first warning that a family member has died. This can be very useful if the said person is far away from home, however, this may reap much sorrow among the family for the unexpected loss.

End of Page 44
  14. Name: Thunderbird
    Myths: Native
    Description: The thunderbird is a giant and miraculous bird. With every flap of its wings, a powerful clap of thunder can be heard. It was a powerful and sometimes dangerous force, but it was typically praised and held in very high regard for its power.

Along with the great thunder the creature could create, it was known to throw lightning at the creatures that inhabited the seas around its home. Many thunderbirds inhabit the mountains, controlling the rain around the area, causing dangerous storms with the rest of their god-like powers.

As mentioned before, thuderbirds strike down sea creatures with lightning. The reason for this is said that they were created for the purpose of stopping these spirits from doing who knows what.

End of Page 45
    Tbird1128 likes this.
  15. I've been busy with school and another story lately, but there will be a new page next week. I also plan on changing the myth tag up. If you want any specific creature, feel free to suggest one too.
  16. Name: Baykok
    Myths: Native
    Description: The Baykok is a malevolent spirit native to the Great Lakes area and is often heard of through the tales of the Ojibwe tribe. It appears as an emaciated skeletal warrior whose eyes burn the red of blood. However, they are not born of rage, but rather shame.

I discovered that Baykoks are created after a warrior or hunterhas died a shameful death. Such shame can be brought on upon by committing a terrible crime or another awful activity, thus preventing them from being able to reach the afterlife. The Baykok will then go off hunting warriors specifically.

The hunting strategies of the Baykok share similarities with other vile creatures. It typically stalks a target, letting off a terrible shriek to frighten the warrior as to offer a better chance at killing the target. Its hunting expertise then comes into play as it shoots the target with invisible arrows from the shadows. To include with all these skills, the ability of flight and invisibility gives them the utmost advantage in any fight.

End of Page 46
  17. Would you mind if I took most of these entries and put them into an in-game book? I'd love to have a copy for whenever I need to do... stuff....
    :p EDIT: I noticed the offer up there to suggest a creature. If you haven't already done it, I'd love to see an entry on eidolons, possessive spirits from Greek mythology.
    (there's more where that came from; if you need some entries, hmu :))
  18. What kinda stuff? Also, I totally forgot about eidolons! They'd be a great thing to talk about if I can get enough information.
  19. I already have a residence I've dedicated to mythical creatures. It'd be useful to have a copy of Vrakroth's Guide for reference :)
  20. Go ahead. Just let you know, this is copyrighted in my name, so at least put my in-game name in there.