Three Things you Wish you Knew Before going to College

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cTJx, Jul 10, 2017.

1. I saw this YouTube video the other day and it inspired me to create this thread. In a few years, I'll (hopefully) be going off to university, so all the responses to this will be put to good use :)

College is a big thing for many students. Whether they're in grade school or actually already in college, it matters a lot. Some describe it as a program that determines your future.

As a child of two CEOs and two Harvard graduates, I get a lot of pressure of getting into a good university and being able to do well in life. My parents both want me to be successful when I grow older, but it's not easy.

I asked them the question: What are three things that you wish you knew before going to college?

They responded the following.

1) Grades aren't as important as they seem. Though they might be crucial to getting into a good school, if you put too much pressure on yourself about them, you'll end up overwhelming yourself and becoming overly stressed and too focused.

2) Schoolwork is important in college, but you should focus on also building a good network of people surrounding you. When you go to college or university, you'll be surrounded by some people with the same likings as you. Building connections to these people are important for when you grow older.

3) Make sure that you eat out of the ice cream container or your roommate will steal it all. :p

If you're a college/uni graduate, it would be lovely if you leave the three things you wish you knew. If you're in grade school, you can ask the people around you! Some of them might have gone to college and can definitely give you tips on prep. And, if you're in college/university right now, be sure to leave what you've learned from a social and preparation standpoint. It'll not only help me, but will also help other people that are expecting college or university in their future.

EDIT: ty to Synth_Apparaition for helping me fix this :)
  2. I had to check I wasn't on Buzzfeed with that title.

Can confirm, am not on Buzzfeed. Source: Couldn't find the thread called '21 reasons why men need to be put in concentration camps'.

nice tips unfortunately they don't do me any good because I live in a different country where university works differently but im very sure it'll help some people
  3. Where I live... we have College and University. College is easy and hands one. The classes also have 30 students to 10 students.

University is harder and just theory with large classes of 100 to 300 students. There is also a huge price difference...

I would suggest only buying books as needed. Try to get them from other students. It will say books are required but some classes you spend 400 on a book you use once.

Also make sure you have a scholarship lined up to help pay. I had a small one but helped pay for a semesters books.

~Finch
    FadedMartian likes this.
  4. Here it works like:
    College - Free. Done by 16 - 18 year olds. Lasts 2 years. Provides qualifications needed to get into university. Classes consist of 3 - 20 people.

University - Costs anywhere between (sometimes above) £9,000 - £25,000 ($11,578 - $32,161 USD, €10,170 - €28,252 EUR) for a single degree, and that doesn't even include the living costs. Lasts for 1 - 5 years per each degree you do. Usually only 100 students admitted into a university per year, so classes would be extremely small (probably less than 10 people, idk though because I haven't been yet - still got another year of college and a gap year after that to do).
  5. Masters degree checking in. Here's my submission for the buzzfeed article.

1. You're not that special. I'll just throw a Dwayne Johnson quote here. "Be humble, be hungry and always be the hardest worker in the room"

2. Actions have consequences. You'll learn a lot about yourself in college, make sure to put that to good use. For instance, I'm not great at straight memorization. So I learned I needed to spend more time than my peers for the same grade.

3. Sacrifices will be made. Sometimes you can't hangout with friends because you've gotta study. It's okay to tell people no. On the flip side, sometimes you've gotta skip a class because EMC just dropped an update. :p

4. Talk to people different than you. You speak of networking with people with the same interests, but it's also important to talk to people that differ in interests, views, nationality etc.
    cTJx and TomvanWijnen like this.