The Temptation to Leave EMC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mogrimoogle, Jun 28, 2012.

1. When I see people greedily asking for rupees or scavenging everywhere to make a few, I think of myself playing Oot and rolling into every tree to see if I could get a rupees for that one heart piece I needed, or slashing all the bushes (or what looked vaguely like bushes) to get another rupee. Seriously though, out of all the servers I have played, EMC has the most friendly people and the least greedy people out of all of them. Sure now and again there are annoying people, and rupee greedy people, but overall, most people are very nice.
  2. We try the best we can to keep it this way. Of course we're not fortune tellers and there always will be those that aren't up to par with the rest of the community that slip though, but overall we like to think we keep it under control overall. Good to know there are those that see that. :)
    IamSaj, BobTheTomato9798 and _Stads_ like this.
  3. I for one completely agree and sincerely hope that you do find yourself staying here on EMC! Let's get through this together, let's rescue EMC for everyone!
    xI_LIKE_A_PIGx likes this.
  4. I cannot count how many times I've seen people join EMC and within half an hour start whining that they're out of rupees. "Oh no I'm out of money, how am I going to get resources now?". It frustrates me to no end when rupees are considered the pivotal commodity of EMC and the true nature of Minecraft is ignored.

Rupees were never intended to provide you with everything, only those luxuries that you might not otherwise be able to obtain. Personally, almost everything I have owned I gathered or produced myself (excepting the lost lighthouse which I made in creative and a bunch of stuff I bought when I returned). All the sandstone and glass I used in my old sphere came from dozens of trips to gather sand.

For me, and I know for many others, the fun comes from going out into the wild and gathering resources, not buying materials to make some trite structure. Sometimes I will collect a full inventory worth of valuables and then complacently hurdle into a pool of lava or try to shake hands with a creeper. If that happens and I actually need some of what I lost, I just buy it back because I have rupees saved up. I don't lose my mind because I lost some imaginary objects, that was part of the fun.

People need to learn that rupees aren't everything, but frankly if they can't understand that then I have no sympathy for them if they leave.
    IamSaj likes this.
  5. Whether or not people care about rupees or not should be their decision and it should be respected. Like many have said, there are many ways to play the game and playing the rupee game is one of them. Some people make rupees so they can sell things they don't need and buy others. Some just like to have it. I did not make this thread to target people who wanted to make rupees. Why would I do that when I, myself, fall into that category?

I made this thread to target disrespect and to help alleviate it by calling out to the community. I apologize if I made myself unclear.
    Greed was a thought I had when trying to think of a reason for the increasing amount of disrespect within the community. It is possible that this may only be true of some SMPs. Personally, I have seen this behavior mostly on 7 as it is my home server. My issue is with the decline of the community. It seems that people's mindsets have changed.

"I will make my residence better than yours and say yours sucks." instead of "I will make the best residence that I can and ask others if they want to come see it."

"You have more rupees than me and I want to beat you/take you down." instead of "I want to make as many rupees as possible to reach my own personal goal."

You get the idea. I respect how people choose to play the game whether it is in the wild, town, or economy. People keep saying there's a wrong or right way(most people are saying earning rupees is wrong), but the only wrong way is if you are seeking to harm others. There's a difference between friendly competition and being malicious towards others. I'm not saying everyone is like this, but I am saying that I am seeing more of it.
    IamSaj and ignoramoose like this.
  6. It's funny, the game was made to where you have to get your own things, I'm sure most played single player first. But apparently when we go on a server its not possible... You apparently HAVE to buy from stores instead...
    Or at least that's what some people seem to think.
    I agree with ISMOOCH...
  7. Im at 2,6 mill rupees, and i sure as hell aint greedy... I buy tons and i donate too much...

Having rupees aint ruining this server imo.
  8. hey man, if its really this serious just shut down ur shop. thats what i did and im much happier now :D.and if you need help restocking you can always talk to me man. i may not know you much, but i know ur a nice guy. i remember when my spleef arena set on fire and you were one of the first ones to help rebuild. so i hope you stay, because this is a fun server and im sure you would be missed.
  9. I do not see EMC as a survival server. Why, you ask? Becuase, of a "safe" town, really takes away from a survival aspect, alot of the danger. And this is what most SUCESSFUL survival relove around, is the danger. And in EMC, adding the town aspect, takes away from making me considering a real survival server. Dont get me wrong, I love the feature. I just dont really use it as a survival server, since it takes away from the overall dangerous expeirance. And someone is gonna say, " What about living in the wild? " I have thought of this. And what I came up with, is that why play on EMC, if it revolves around the aspect of the town, and safe lots? If you wanted a true survival server, which I am guessing what many EMC members do, is they have a serperate server they use for survival, to have the ever so slight supense, the risk involed. I think of EMC as a economy server. Considering it has safe lots, a customized money plugin, and now even making it better, it seems most of the server is centered around rupees. Now, feel free to point out all of the flaws in my wall of text, and argue about my views. But this is honestly what I feel, and I doubt anyone will be able to change that.
  10. Oh, and I am not saying it is ruining EMC. I am just stating that I find it invalid to say the formost function of EMC is a survival server, not an economy server.
  11. mogrimoogle: This game, like all other MMO's I've played, are a microcosm of real life. Just like in real life, this game has it's share of douchebags (can I say that on the forum???) I am a grown woman, and a mother of two. I have played my fair share of MMO's. What I have found that you HAVE to do is find a group of friends to play with that are NOT like those people. People that you can trust in-game to have your back. Then you have to make the concerted effort to ignore all the idiots, and there are many. I believe this is the only way you will enjoy your experience on this, or any, MMO. I am on smp7 and would happy to be friends with you if you are wanting to meet more mature players. I greatly enjoy the convenience of the private shops in town, though I am honestly only in town maybe once or twice a week. Zeke's shop has helped me many times quickly finish a project. If your shop was still there, I am sure I would be shopping there as well. I say let not your heart be troubled by these people! Find some really fun people to play with and just concentrate on that! Many of these people don't have any social skills in real life, so you really can see how they would be such a mess virtually as well!