The Parkour Res 2.0

Discussion in 'Share Your EMC Creations' started by DaybreakerMC, Jul 8, 2023.

1. In 2019 I was asked to create a parkour course for an event, and so dawned The Parkour Res. I continued expanding, designing new courses and creating EMC's most versatile selection of parkour. Unfortunately, that res was lost to dereliction. For years EMC has been without a Slime Forest, a Grassland Mini, or a towering MAIN COURSE. That was, until I glanced at the EMC home page and saw it... "Mini Game Building Contest!" It called out to me. The Parkour Res had to return. But it couldn't just return, it needed something new...

18100 on SMP9

THE MAIN COURSE

The Main Course is made up of 1,000 total jumps split between four difficulties: Easy (300 jumps), Medium (250 jumps), Hard (225 jumps), and Nightmare (225 jumps). Each section also introduces different mechanics, such as ladders, panes, ice, honey, and more. Unlike the old Main Course, all sections (aside from Easy) have several established checkpoints that way players can jump into different areas to explore or recover some progress without needing a complete restart.

Newly introduced with the Main Course are shortcuts. These alternative paths are marked by cyan and exist in all four difficulties. Shortcuts can be used to skip a reasonable number of jumps, in some difficulties even avoiding the most challenging segments. However, this reward comes with risk, as all shortcut jumps are considerably harder than the difficulty they reside in. Will you choose to take the shortcut or will you play it safe?

There are two ways to play the Main Course. The first is CASUAL. Play at your own pace. Approach every jump the way you want. Casual gameplay is designed to be unrestricted. The blocks are there, players can approach them however they'd like. Whether it be doing the course how it was intended, or abandoning linearity to mix and max. This is designed to allow all players to enjoy the course the way they want to play it. Mechanics such as enderpearls, elytras, group teleports, block glitching, and others are not only allowed but encouraged. Have fun!

COMPETITIVE
    The second way to play the Main Course is competitive. Play for the best time in a given difficulty and get your name on the leaderboard. This option is for players looking to challenge their speed and precision. The three fastest times for each category will be displayed in the hub area at 18100. The five categories of competitive correspond to the four difficulties (Easy, Medium, Hard, and Nightmare) and the Sum Of All difficulties.

Unlike casual gameplay, enderpearls, elytras, group teleport, block glitching, and other mechanics like it are NOT allowed in eligible competitive runs. Established checkpoints are allowed and runs in those categories will be calculated as a combination of a player's best time PER checkpoint. Similarly, Sum Of All will be a combination of a player's best time in each of the difficulties. These can overlap.

Eligible runs must be recorded via video so they can be timed. The unlisted option on YouTube is the recommended way of sharing the runs but other media options are fine. Runs that aren't recorded cannot be accepted. If a player with the fastest time in a category chooses, the video of their run can be linked on the residence's leaderboard. Runs can be submitted to DaybreakerMC through in-game message, forums message, or Discord message. It is worth noting that there is not a prize for completing a run or gaining a top time.

The Main Course is something I consider to be a milestone in my years of parkour-building experience. An entirely new course that expands and reflects upon the course that got be started with building parkour back in 2019. It takes all the tricks and skills I learned from designing numerous courses and turns it into an evolving journey through the difficulties and mechanics Minecraft parkour offers. It was a ton of fun to get this course, and the entire res, operational in shortly over three weeks, and the new Main Course marks the beginning of a new chapter. This is only the beginning...

PRACTICE RANGE

Alongside the Main Course, I wanted to build an area where players could practice their parkour skills on various isolated jumps. The Practice Range is the accompaniment to the Main Course, taking various jumps from the Main Course and its difficulty sections and breaking them down. Stuck on a particular jump? Want to practice neos? Want to learn more about parkour terminology? The practice range features a variety of different jumps, sorted by difficulty and mechanic. Alongside that, each section has a lectern with a book breaking down and detailing each jump. It doesn't include all of the jumps or mechanics, but it's a great place for players to learn and practice the world of parkour.

More courses on the Parkour Res 2.0:
    The Parkour Res 2.0 brings back miniature 10-jump courses varying in difficulty and theme. From the easy Grasslands, to the medium Mineshaft, and the hard Stronghold, there's plenty of fun to be had in these short courses!

The Main Course isn't the only place to find a fully fleshed out parkour course.

Climb trees and bounce your way around The Slime Forest, a classic course where you navigate the woods and try to get from the ground to the sky!

Sneak your way through the Desert Hall, an ancient tomb filled with traps and tricky timed parkour jumps.

Feeling quick? Think you're incapable of making mistakes? Red is the ultimate test of precision. Press the button and run the course, even the slightest hesitation and time will run out!

Navigate the stars in the new Luminous course! The difficulty is easy, but the course is lengthy. Can you make it to the top?

After sitting in the vault for years, the Head Parkour course has finally been built! Every jump is a head, donate yours today to claim your spot.

The Trails & Tales course is the first of the update-themed courses, explore a collection of jumps in a 1.20-themed course. This is by far the easiest course added to the res yet, with multiple ways to approach it.

The Parkour Res 2.0 likes to thank the people who helped with the promotion or creation of the residence. There are currently two dedicated courses.

Be as quick as jewel_king in the Jewel's Head special course! Thank you to jewel_king for dedicating hours of your time to help get the old parkour courses approved. While that residence may have been lost to time, the countless hours you dedicated to getting Angelic approved will never be forgotten.

Need a fun and relaxing course? The Stream Team course offers just that! This course was designed back during DaybreakerMC's time as a member of Stream Team to be featured in various Stream Team projects. While the Stream Team may be a thing of the past, it would be wrong to abandon this piece of EMC history.

The Parkour Res 2.0 plans to continue expanding! There are plenty of courses planned, designed, or already built that are opening in the near future!

Caves & Cliffs - A course exploring the various blocks and parkour mechanics added in the various Caves & Cliffs updates (1.17-1.19).

Miscellaneous Feature Course - I have a few ideas for themes but haven't settled on anything yet. Nonetheless, there will be another feature course in the near future.

If you would like to host an event on The Parkour Res 2.0, PM DaybreakerMC in-game or on the forums. We will help you host your event free of charge! You can set up prizes, select checkpoints, and run the event however you'd like. **NOTE: none of the parkour on this residence has been approved/re-approved by staff as of writing.

Thank you to everyone who helped design, build, approve, promote, or participate in this or my previous parkour residences! There will be more fun, more courses, and maybe even more residences to come!
  2. Wow, this sounds and looks amazing!
    If only I still played Minecraft. :p

The head parkour sounds cool. I don't farm my head, but I had 2 heads left from when I played pvp with a friend about 9 years ago. I mailed one of them to you!
    Tuqueque and DaybreakerMC like this.
  3. wow i instant lost the minigame contest
  4. UPDATE 23.08.13
    This update marks my 11th year anniversary on Empire Minecraft! To celebrate I have added two new courses (just kidding they were always coming).

--------------------------------------

NEW COURSE - TRAILS & TALES
    People keep telling me I need to make an easy course, so here it is! Trails & Tales is my easiest course yet, themed entirely around the 1.20 update. It's a smaller course with a few ways to approach. It can be found far left down the main hall in the hub.

NEW COURSE - HEAD PARKOUR
    Rather than waiting to collect all 47 heads before building this course as I did in 2019, I made the decision to build the course with placeholder heads and replace as more are donated. Which, speaking of, if you want to donate your head to be eternalized as a jump in 18100's Head Parkour course, there's a dropper beside the teleport (or mail it to me). This course is a tricky one. Enjoy!

MISCELLANEOUS CHANGES
    - Nerfed the Mineshaft Mini to better reflect its difficulty. The fencepost on the fourth jump was a considerable difficulty spike and didn't make sense for a "medium" level course.
    - Nerfed the Desert Hall to better reflect its difficulty & pacing. The trapdoor section was too starkly different than the timed redstone theme of the other sections. Plus, lining up exact coordinates is tedious. The left side of the trapdoors has been made easier. Players can still experience the old jump if they go through the right side of the trapdoors.
    - The Slime Forest and Overworld Mini have been made easier due to the hitbox for slime blocks being increased with the 1.20 update. This makes slime block jumps much more enjoyable and far less precise.
    607, sonicol and MoreMoople like this.
  5. 10/10 would jump again
    DaybreakerMC likes this.