The Hurricane Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by We3_MPO, Oct 29, 2017.

1. As Tropical Storm Philippe is on the rage around Cuba and Florida, we are about to enter the final month (hopefully! I don't want an extended season like in 2005) of the 2017 Hurricane Season.

So far, 2017 has had 17 storms:
    1. Tropical Storm Arlene
    2. Tropical Storm Bret
    3. Tropical Storm Cindy
    4. Tropical Depression Four
    5. Tropical Storm Don
    6. Tropical Storm Emily
    7. Hurricane Franklin
    8. Hurricane Gert
    9. Hurricane Harvey*
    10. Hurricane Irma**
    11. Hurricane Jose*
    12. Hurricane Katia
    13. Hurricane Lee*
    14. Hurricane Maria**
    15. Hurricane Nate
    16. Hurricane Ophelia*
    17. Tropical Storm Philippe
    18. Tropical Storm Rina
    * major hurricane
    ** Category 5 Hurricane

The season's cost is likely to be the highest in world history, and most of that is from just a few major hurricanes:
    • Hurricane Harvey had an estimated cost of $198,630,000,000.00, meaning it was the costliest natural disaster in all of U.S. history. Most of the damage is in Houston and various other areas of Texas and Louisiana, but the hurricane's remnants also set off two tornadoes in Alabama that injured 4 people severely enough to visit a hospital, and a lot of the remaining water in the system rained down on Tennessee causing flooding in various areas, resulting in a single death in Memphis and evacuations in portions of both Memphis and Nashville.
    • Hurricane Irma, damaged to the islands of Cape Verde, Barbuda, Saint Martin (divided into French and Dutch halves), Saint Barthelemy (overseas territory of France), U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico (overseas territory of the U.S), Hispaniola, Turks and Caicos Islands, The Bahamas, and Cuba, as well as the mainland Southeastern United States (Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina were more severely affected while the damage in North Carolina and Tennessee was light). Cost: > $66,770,000,000.00
    • Hurricane Jose caused damage to some of the Caribbean islands that Hurricane Irma impacted very shortly before, as well as the U.S. East Coast, which forced the nearly-destroyed Barbuda to be fully evacuated to Antigua.
    • Hurricane Maria once again struck the Leeward Islands and U.S. East Coast, and as a result of this, both Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands are now in a humanitarian crisis. Cost: > $103,450,000,000.00
    • Hurricane Nate, despite being only a Category 1 hurricane, caused severe damage in Louisiana. It also had the fastest recorded motion of any hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico, at 28 miles per hour. Cost: > $835,000,000.00
    • Hurricane Ophelia fanned forest fires in Spain and Portugal that arsonists had already lit, killing at least 49 people. It also damaged the British Isles as an extratropical cyclone after unexpectedly becoming a major hurricane. Cost: > $71,000,000.00
    What are your thoughts to this? I personally don't like how severe this hurricane season has been, but I have been able to learn more about some of the island countries that were affected after hearing about them and doing research. But in all seriousness, Poor Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, and everyone else who suffered a major hurricane. :(

(Last edited on December 14, 2017)
  2. It seems logical that hurricane seasons become more costly as time goes on. More and more buildings are built, and more dollars are spent per building too.
    We3_MPO likes this.
  3. That, and climate change makes hurricanes, cyclones, and typhoons worse over time the warmer it gets.
    607 likes this.
  4. For those of you in the path of Tropical Storm Alberto, stay safe! It looks like it's going to bring some devastating flooding! :(
  5. I hope our president does more than pray when it hits. :p
    607 and We3_MPO like this.
  6. Me too, but I seriously doubt it. They didn't do nearly enough when Hurricane Maria hit Puerto Rico... Poor them. And their electrical grid collapsed AGAIN last month. :(