The Empire's greatest threat!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SillyWhiteMage, Feb 12, 2012.

1. do you own a crystal ball or some sort of future prediction artifact?

DAYUM!
  2. I never once mentioned communism in this thread.Others did and I made a joke to one of them.I do admit my ideological goals of equality would never work, but as I stated.It won't stop me from attempting it.
  3. and nothing ever should. There is nothing better than someone fighting for their own belief. especially when it has good intentions. =)
    EdmundWayne likes this.
  4. "The road to hell... [and all that]," be damned!
  5. My intent isn't to take away what you earned.My intent is what most people call naive and silly.I just think there is a way to profit without harming the whole.I want people to be happy is all.
    ISMOOCH and EdmundWayne like this.
  6. I find many of the arguments in this thread quite odd.
    The focus of capitalism IS personal gain. It's about providing personal reward for personal effort.
    The best manifestation of capitalism we have is the stock market. The whole point of it is to buy low, and sell high. You're arguing against the entire premise of that institution.
  7. The only harm I see is the occasional scam.

I don't see the harm in buying lower-priced items to resell at a higher value. The seller is happy, because they sold what they wanted to sell, at the price they wanted to sell at. The buyer is happy, because they can profit from the investment.
  8. You feel the way you do because you care about people, and that is a true virtue. I, also, care about people and believe that the best way I can help others is to produce enough surplus so that I can afford to give some away to the people I decide should get it--the same thing that motivates more than a few EMC players to leave excess coal in a furnace in the middle of the wild or food in a chest somewhere. They don't get nearly as much press as the griefers and thieves, though.

I've learned that there are far more scammers on the receiving end of social welfare than on the production and trade end of capitalism.
    margaritte likes this.
  9. but the frustration should be understood. Someone has excess, wants to be helpful to those who do not have as much, so they make lower prices, only to bought out by someone who makes a small 3 or 4% profit.
  10. EMC doesn't have a stock market though.Just a disorganized group of traders.
    ISMOOCH likes this.
  11. If the seller is specifically trying to target new players, then the procedure wouldn't include just setting up a shop. It'd be a manual transaction. Setting up a shop allows everyone to buy from the shop, which in the referenced case isn't intended.
    ISMOOCH likes this.
  12. thats the ideal situation, however, you may want something that cant function without your presence, something that can not be done with manual transactions.
  13. It's an excellent example for the argument you posed though.
  14. I know for a fact that you exploit you supplier.So don't get me started with you. ;)
    KylieVonEngel likes this.
  15. Is the intended audience new players? They'll benefit far more if you help them learn how to be self-sufficient, than they will from items sold at a 3-4% discount.

Is the intended audience players whom are poor, but have been around a while? Why do they deserve the rupees and/or materials you've worked to get? Why don't they have rupees of their own? Have they been buying materials for a large project, without realizing the true scope of their ambitions? Have they simply bought whatever they needed, disregarding the price of the items?

If the case you find yourself facing is an over-ambitious project, I'm fine with funding those projects, though trying to get them to go to your shop probably isn't as effective as donating materials directly to their project, on their lot.

If it's a disregard for the price they buy materials at, I'd consider your donation a waste.
    EdmundWayne likes this.
  16. Go back to healing with your melee damage. In the kitchen.
    KylieVonEngel likes this.
  17. buying something cheap and selling it for a profit, i guess there's nothing wrong with it. I sell cheap enchanted items, and more often than not the people who buy them go and auction them for profit. it irks me a little, but i guess i got my rupees. i just missed out on someone who actually wanted the item feeling good because they got a good deal.

it really just boils down to greed. you're not going to get rid of that whatever you do.
  18. I know where you live in the wild.Don't make me burn your house down.
  19. Yep, buy a guy a fish feed him for a day, teach him to fish and feed him for the rest of his life.
    Or my preferred: build a man a fire and he stays warm for a day, set him on fire and he stays warm for the rest of his life. (Of course that's PVP and not allowed in the Empire!)

Seriously, though, when I started on EMC (not very long ago) I almost immediately lost everything when I died in the wild when I fell into all the damage right outside of the protected area. By the time I made it back, someone else had picked up all my dropped items. I kept playing and learned how to survive a little better in the wild. I never asked for help and didn't really need it. A few weeks later (still before I was a supporter), I gave more than 10,000 Rupees worth of rupees and other stuff to my son so he could play on his town lot and not have to go into the wild because he's scared of the wild and wants to play EMC like a single player creative mode game. But he's only 6, so that's understandable.

So many people want everything RIGHT NOW without wanting to put in the effort to earn it. This game isn't that hard, it's easy to survive a night on the surface if you're careful by digging a small cave at night or even standing on a newb tower (which I was such a newb when I started that I didn't even know how to build that). You collect a bit at a time and learn as you go so that you get more efficient at collecting. Just like real life.
  20. How would you like a pack of creepers in your house?