The Empire of the Future - My vision! (Updated: 7/13/18)

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Feb 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The idea of challenge tokens, a new currency, and the ability to teleport to your "Empire" whilst at town or going to town while at your "Empire" is a terrible idea. First off, why do we need a 2nd currency, what's wrong with what we have? And the use of challenge tokens will render buying supporter useless which would slowly kill the Empire if no one buys supporter and instead uses said challenge tokens to buy perks. Now think about the outcome of everyone getting the perk of TNT or multiple residences, widespread use of TNT will be a terrible thing to be giving away, and the multiple residences will fill up our servers faster than before. My next point is how you would add quests without involving mob killing/mining. Minecraft is based off of killing mobs and mining, I just don't really see how you could have a quest without one. Now on to the idea of the cross town "Empire" teleporting. It would completely destroy the economy if everyone can easily get to their farms without wasting any time. Now don't get me wrong, I don't like riding my nether track to my base, but at least I can't easily farm rare items and go back to town to store them away.
    kaja_the_pug likes this.
  2. Well you can. Just not by teleporting. :-p
  3. Would seem a bit foolish to focus on being DIFFERENT. If something is working for other servers - not saying we copy it, but no reason to declare it evil and never touch it.
    Cchiarell6914 likes this.
  4. As much as I agree with the fact that it works for other servers and such, I think EMC is losing touch with it's roots, in all due respect. I thought that we wanted to be different from other servers, because if we are just falling to the same things as every other server does, what makes EMC so special and worthy of outsiders joining?
  5. We've been saying how we're a different server from the rest for years. We still are, and even with the update we still will be, but why plagiarize? It may sound foolish, but it doesn't seem as cowardish. I know there's a better way to word that, and that it's not getting my point across, but even though integrating small parts of another server seems very small, our main selling point is that we are different. That's what I paid for with my supportership for a while. We're just progressively losing that difference.
  6. Credits =/= Challenge Tokens. Challenge Tokens will be redeemable for items and such, and Credits will go towards perks (I think?). If someone has a 150 day voting streak, that is pretty awesome and I think they totally deserve getting Credits for their contribution. Same for other ways of indirectly supporting EMC without using money.
    607 likes this.
  7. Then you should reward them with rupees or exclusive items, which EMC is already doing. A second currency just isn't needed
  8. As JK said, you have it mixed up.

The general gist is:

Rupee = Economy Currency
    Tokens = Reward for challenging task - something that one has to earn
    Credits = Helped the Empire Grow (Supporting/Referring/Voting)

And for "Now on to the idea of the cross town "Empire" teleporting. It would completely destroy the economy if everyone can easily get to their farms without wasting any time."

Nothing new here, see: http://empireminecraft.com/threads/...-for-what-is-to-come.35977/page-2#post-686871
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  9. They already are rewarded with that, but why is a second currency so bad? Why force them to get preset rewards when a separate currency system can be used so that the player being rewarded can choose from a variety of items? The overall feature may look like a feature from other servers, but EMC is going to put its own unique twist on it.

Edit: My wording is weird, Aikar did a better job of it up there ^^^:p
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  10. I was not talking about any potential feature in particular. Are we losing with it's roots? I think that is purely an opinionated question that means something different to almost everyone. In my opinion EMC does exactly what it has always been doing; focus on creating a quality minecraft experience, not simply downloading generic plugins that every other server uses.

No part of that means we don't share some aspects with other servers. What about our Town? We aren't the first ones (certainly not the last), but we feel that our setup is optimal.

Plagiarize? really? there are only so many words that make sense for currency/credits/whatever. Creating a completely new/different name for this does not make any sense as no one will know what the heck it is for. Credits is pretty straightforward. Besides, will credits be used for exactly the same thing as other servers? No, they will be used for EMC things.

Again this stuff is just my opinion - not wanting to argue about anything; just using my words to explain that I disagree ;)
    607, Cchiarell6914 and PandasEatRamen like this.
  11. I respect your opinion but rupees simply will not fit with the plans.

Tokens will not be transferable, and will be a representation of ones accomplishments on the server. There's no way to represent that with rupees.
  12. How is adding fun things "losing a difference"? We are not copying any server. How would we even copy them? I don't play on any of them to even see what they have!

I can assure you no other server will have what we will have. Why? Because I'm designing it and writing it =P

If its similar, oh well, at least our system is designed to be integrated together and everything is a piece of the puzzle that fits together.
  13. Ya know what, all I have to say anymore is Flying Creeper MiniBoss. That's it I just give up :U
  14. 1. No, I would hate being able to teleport 50,000 blocks out. It would ruin the economy (which is already a pile of ashes for all I care) and I would much rather have to sit in a minecart in the nether for a half hour.
    2. Yeah, everyone getting TNT would be hectic. However, you stil have to pay to get it. It you have to vote for 18 trillion years to be able to. Both would prove you are a loyal member of the community and won't go grief someone's city (which will be able to be protected).
  15. "EMC's Roots", well to be honest, we are still very strong on our roots.

EMC was never a "Best Town Server", or "Best Plot Server", and originally surely was never the "Best Wild Server", nor the "Best Economy Server".

EMC's strong point has always been simply providing a fun Minecraft experience that doesn't go too far out like FTB/Tekkit etc.

EMC has added things that the base game should add.

Now, we also do have to keep with the times, so we should push on that line a little where it makes sense to provide fun and new things.

In the perfect world, one we can push to get to, is a "One Stop Shop" for Minecraft, but letting everything be optional.

Like, Do you feel the recent PvP addition "ruined EMC"? I've heard no-one say such a thing. We can pull things off with style and quality, and fill peoples needs.

We will not 'directly copy' other servers, but if we can find a way to make a concept/play style fit into EMC quality, then we will do it.

Mini games for example, we have them, but they aren't exactly the same as other servers. PvP, we have it now but not the same as other servers.

We shouldn't rule something out just because its different or "Change", we should focus on giving the players a great time here, and give them no reason to play on other servers.
    607 likes this.
  16. I have not had any plans to make the Creeper Miniboss flying, but I won't rule out the idea since it was player suggested =P
    607, mba2012, jkjkjk182 and 1 other person like this.
  17. So not only a second, but a third currency? That is just confusing to a lot of players. "How do I know how much money I have?" "Rupees, Tokens or Credits?" "Well.. the one I can buy things with" "Rupees or Tokens?"

As for the empire teleporting idea, I think it's a bit off as well. Just because someone spent time mining resources, that shouldn't mean that they get a free ride home? As you said, "Frontier Empire Outpost teleporting will not change anything compared to whats already possible with the wastelands," that doesn't make much sense.. you can't "teleport" from any spot in the wastelands in the first place. Also, on a more personal note, I don't see why anybody would be needing to go to town to sell their resources from the wild anyways, because they already have the wastelands available?
    ->Guy #1 from wild grinder teleports into town, sells his objects, returns to base.
    ->Guy #1 continues using grinder, teleporting to the town, selling his items, and repeating.
    ->Guy #2 from wastelands grinder teleports into town through the outpost, sells his objects, returns to mine.
    ->Guy's #2 grinder gets reset. Can still teleport to town, but doesn't have a 24/7 grinder to teleport to.

See the difference?
  18. If you like player suggested ideas then you should also take in it spawning in ignited TNT, spontaneous explosions, and random Enraged Creeper spawns. That's all I have to say about my new future pet
  19. Again: http://empireminecraft.com/threads/...-for-what-is-to-come.35977/page-2#post-686871

Distance and the Economy are no longer related any more. Outposts will be teleportable to so you can have visitors come see your creation easily.

It will be about making the Frontier beautiful, and players finally being able to show off what they've built.

In town, it's so easy to see each others creations, Empire's in the wild has to be the same way.

The economy will be not be affected any more than it is today with the Wastelands.
  20. Perhaps plagiarize isn't the correct term, but there are so many servers that use more than one currency, and it is confusing as magnets. On other servers, you can earn credits. Those credits are used to gain your popularity/item receiving/getting things (in general). The point of this is that we are planning to make a second (or third?) currency that is not meant for trading. It is not meant as an actual currency, but it is meant for giving players things for doing things. That doesn't really help the economy, because there are certain players that will go to hell and back just to get tokens/whatever currency there is, then there are other players who casually enjoy the game not for the competition. Only lately has EMC become extremely competitive, and it is fairly disappointing. The addition of these new coins or WHATEVER the heck they are, will alienate a bunch of players that play for the experience, not the money or the fame.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.