The Accent Thing

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by synth_apparition, Jul 2, 2014.

1. I've been watching a few 'accent tag' videos on YouTube lately and wanted to know how those of us here on EMC say certain words, so I got the question list. Answer them and stuff. Remember to tell me what accent you have :p

I just want to know how you guys talk and stuff for fun :p
    Accent: Scouse. I'm from Liverpool and the accent spreads as far as North-Eastern Wales, but its 'thickness' varies. Mine is pretty light-ish.
    1. What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house? - Nothing, because that doesn't happen in England, or atleast where I live :p
    2. What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball? - Woodlouse.
    3. What is the bubbly carbonated drink called? - I call it by whatever I want :p If I want a Coca Cola, i'll call it a Coke. If I want a Pepsi, i'll call it a Pepsi, and so on.
    4. What do you call gym shoes? - Trainees, sometimes Trainers.
    5. What do you say to address a group of people? - I've never done that before. But if I did, i'd probably just say "Alright?"
    6. What do you call the kind of spider (or spider-like creature) that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs? - We don't get them in the UK so I don't call them anything :D
    7. What do you call your grandparents? - Nan and Grandad.
    8. What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket? - A trolley :D
    9. What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? - I don't even know what this is supposed to be mean, but... a rainbow?
    10. What is the thing you change the TV channel with? - A remote or controller.

FOR SCIENCE!
  2. New york, guess I talk like a regular american though? :p

1. What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house? - TP'ed
    2. What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball? - Doodlebug
    3. What is the bubbly carbonated drink called? - Soda
    4. What do you call gym shoes? - Trainers
    5. What do you say to address a group of people? - You guys or You all
    6. What do you call the kind of spider (or spider-like creature) that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs? - Daddy Long legs
    7. What do you call your grandparents? - Gran and Pa
    8. What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket? - Shopping Cart
    9. What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? - Sun Shower
    10. What is the thing you change the TV channel with? - A remote or Switch.
  3. 1. What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house? - T.P.
    2. What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball? - Pillbug
    3. What is the bubbly carbonated drink called? - Soda, though some people in my family call it "Soda Pop" or just "Pop"
    4. What do you call gym shoes? - Sneakers or sneaks
    5. What do you say to address a group of people? - Y'all (i'm Texan afterall)
    6. What do you call the kind of spider (or spider-like creature) that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs? - Daddy Long Legs or in Moose's case, KRYSYY! COME SAVE ME!!!
    7. What do you call your grandparents? - Depends which ones. I'm gonna sound real southern her for a sec, so deal with it. My dad's side is Grandma and PawPaw. My mom's side is Granny and Grandpa. Moose's mother's side is MaMaw, while that's what I call my great grandma...it's a confusing life i lead...
    8. What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket? - Shopping Cart
    9. What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? - A Texas Spring
    10. What is the thing you change the TV channel with? - Remote Control (if I can find it)
  4. 1. What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house? - Throwing toilet paper on a house
    2. What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball? - No clue
    3. What is the bubbly carbonated drink called? - Depends on which one
    4. What do you call gym shoes? - Why would I need to make the distinction that certain shoes are 'gym shoes' when I only own one pair?
    5. What do you say to address a group of people? - Ladies and gentlemen...
    6. What do you call the kind of spider (or spider-like creature) that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs? - Daddy long-legs?
    7. What do you call your grandparents? - Granny.
    8. What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket? - A trolley
    9. What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? - A rainbow
    10. What is the thing you change the TV channel with? - A remote
  5. I really don't even know what my accent is, to me I don't even have an accent but I guess you could say it's a tiny bit welsh and then a even tiny-er bit scouse. (or just british to any foreigner)

1. What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house? - Nothing, because that doesn't happen in England Wales, or at least where I live. Also, what a stupid thing to do, as far as pranks go it's pretty lame.
    2. What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball? - eh? idek
    3. What is the bubbly carbonated drink called? - Pop or just the brand name?
    4. What do you call gym shoes? - Trainers.
    5. What do you say to address a group of people? - Depends who it is. Normally 'alright' or 'you okay' 'how you doing' etc.
    6. What do you call the kind of spider (or spider-like creature) that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs? - idk
    7. What do you call your grandparents? - Nan and Grandad.
    8. What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket? - A trolley
    9. What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? - I don't even know what this is supposed to be mean, but... a rainbow?
    10. What is the thing you change the TV channel with? - A remote.
  6. 1. What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house? T.P.
    2. What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball?ladybug? not sure lol
    3. What is the bubbly carbonated drink called? soda
    4. What do you call gym shoes? sneakers
    5. What do you say to address a group of people? Ladies and Gentlemen
    6. What do you call the kind of spider (or spider-like creature) that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs? daddy long legs
    7. What do you call your grandparents? grandma and grandpa
    8. What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket? grocery cart
    9. What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? a rainbow?
    10. What is the thing you change the TV channel with? a remote
  7. 1. What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house? TPing the House
    2. What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball? Rolly-polly
    3. What is the bubbly carbonated drink called? Drank
    4. What do you call gym shoes? Tennis Shoes
    5. What do you say to address a group of people? Yall
    6. What do you call the kind of spider (or spider-like creature) that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs? Daddy long-leg
    7. What do you call your grandparents? G-pa and G-ma
    8. What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket? Grocery cart
    9. What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? A miracle
    10. What is the thing you change the TV channel with? Flipper
  8. More that I made up that everyone can do if they want to :p (although I pretty much know what the answers are probably going to be...and I just realised this is only really a Britain vs US comparison really)
    1. A road with several lanes- Motorway/dual carriageway depending on no. of lanes (Americans are probably going to call it highway)
    2. Unwanted items- rubbish (American guess- garbage/trash)
    3. A padded long seat- Sofa (Brits who call it couch make we want to push my head through a wall. American guess- couch)
    4. Short word for your mother- Mum (British people who call it mom :mad:. Soul you know who I mean :p)
    5. Is it color or colour? COLOUR OF COURSE. (even if spell check tells me it's 'wrong')
    6. How does your date go? Is it dd/mm/yy or mm/dd/yy? THE ONLY LOGICAL WAY IS DD/MM/YY.
    7. What do you call a line you wait in? A queue (I recently learned that apparently Americans don't use the word queue :eek: I mean why would you not want to? It's a brilliant word..:rolleyes:)
    8. Realised or Realized? Realised and that goes for any other word that's supposed to be spelt with an s.
  9. 1. What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house? TPing
    2. What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball? - Rolly Polly
    3. What is the bubbly carbonated drink called? - Soda, or Pop
    4. What do you call gym shoes? - Gym shoes or Tennis shoes
    5. What do you say to address a group of people? - Everyone
    6. What do you call the kind of spider (or spider-like creature) that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs? - Daddy Long-leg spider
    7. What do you call your grandparents? - Grandma/Grandpa, usually followed by their first name
    8. What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket? - Cart
    9. What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? - Sunshower
    10. What is the thing you change the TV channel with? - A remote control
  10. 1. What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house? Nothing because Australia don't do cool stuff
    2. What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball? Roly-poly
    3. What is the bubbly carbonated drink called? Soft drink
    4. What do you call gym shoesRunners
    5. What do you say to address a group of people? "Aye" "Hey" "Hi" "Yes"
    6. What do you call the kind of spider (or spider-like creature) that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs? I don't know my insects...
    7. What do you call your grandparents? Grandma and Grandpa
    8. What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket? Trolley
    9. What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? Rainbow...what else is it called ._.
    10. What is the thing you change the TV channel with? Remote
    mba2012 likes this.
  11. 1. What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house? - TP'ing
    2. What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball? - Don't have a word for it
    3. What is the bubbly carbonated drink called? - Pop
    4. What do you call gym shoes? - Runners
    5. What do you say to address a group of people? - Listen up people
    6. What do you call the kind of spider (or spider-like creature) that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs? - Dandy Longlegs
    7. What do you call your grandparents? - Grandma and Grandpa
    8. What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket? - A cart
    9. What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? - Sunshower
    10. What is the thing you change the TV channel with? - A remote
    1. A road with several lanes- Motorway.
    2. Unwanted items- Rubbish
    3. A padded long seat- Couch
    4. Short word for your mother- Mum
    5. Is it color or colour? - Colour
    6. How does your date go? Is it dd/mm/yy or mm/dd/yy? - DD/MM/YY. I have no idea why mm/dd/yy was even invented in the first place >.>
    7. What do you call a line you wait in? A queue
    8. Realised or Realized? - Realised. But Google Chrome always marks it as wrong, so I change it to realized >.>
  12. 1. What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house? - Toilet papered lol
    2. What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball? - A bug
    3. What is the bubbly carbonated drink called? - Soft drink
    4. What do you call gym shoes? - Sandshoes
    5. What do you say to address a group of people? - Boofheads:D
    6. What do you call the kind of spider (or spider-like creature) that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs? - The offspring of the devil himself or huntsman
    7. What do you call your grandparents? - Nanna and Pop
    8. What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket? - Trolley
    9. What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? - A shower
    10. What is the thing you change the TV channel with? - Remote Wow, this thread has made me realize how much slang I use ._.
  13. I'm from Dayton, Ohio, so my accent doesn't have a name. We are a blend of Yankee/Southern. More Yank than Southern. The occasional draw on some words, and the use of "y'all", "warsh", etc.

First questions:
    1. What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house? - TP'n
    2. What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball? - Roly Poly
    3. What is the bubbly carbonated drink called? - Pop
    4. What do you call gym shoes? - Gym shoes.
    5. What do you say to address a group of people? - Depends on my mood. Usually more proper with "Hey, everyone!" Or I might say, "Hey, y'all!"
    6. What do you call the kind of spider (or spider-like creature) that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs? - Daddy Long Leg
    7. What do you call your grandparents? - Grama & Grampa
    8. What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket? - Cart
    9. What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? - A "WTF" moment.
    10. What is the thing you change the TV channel with? - Remote

Second questions:
    1. A road with several lanes- Expressway. (Highways are state routes like the famous Route 66)
    2. Unwanted items- Trash
    4. Short word for your mother- Mom
    5. Is it color or colour? Color. No need for a "U" in there
    6. How does your date go? Is it dd/mm/yy or mm/dd/yy? MM/DD/YY
    7. What do you call a line you wait in? A line
    8. Realised or Realized? Realized.
  14. First set of questions:
    1. What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house? - TPing a house
    2. What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball? - Roly-Poly
    3. What is the bubbly carbonated drink called? - Soda
    4. What do you call gym shoes? - Shoes
    5. What do you say to address a group of people? - I've never really thought about it.
    6. What do you call the kind of spider (or spider-like creature) that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs? - Daddy Long Legs
    8. What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket? - Shopping cart
    9. What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? - Average day in Alaska
    10. What is the thing you change the TV channel with? - Controller

Second set of questions:
    1. A road with several lanes- Highway
    2. Unwanted items- Garbage
    5. Is it color or colour?- Color
    6. How does your date go? Is it dd/mm/yy or mm/dd/yy?- MM/DD/YY
    7. What do you call a line you wait in?- Queue? Never really thought about it, but that's what I've heard it's called.
    8. Realised or Realized?- Realized
  15. 1. What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house? - Stupid
    2. What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball? - Uh...
    3. What is the bubbly carbonated drink called? - Soft drink
    4. What do you call gym shoes - Runners
    5. What do you say to address a group of people? - Hey?
    6. What do you call the kind of spider (or spider-like creature) that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs? - No idea.
    7. What do you call your grandparents? - Grandma and Grandad.
    9. What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? - A sun shower
    10. What is the thing you change the TV channel with? - A remote control

A road with several lanes- Motorway or Highway
    Unwanted items- rubbish
    A padded long seat- Sofa or couch
    Short word for your mother- mUm
    Is it color or colour? - coloUr
    How does your date go? Is it dd/mm/yy or mm/dd/yy? The proper way ;)
    What do you call a line you wait in? A queue
    Realised or Realized? Realised.

Also, now does this gauge an accent? An accent just changes the pronunciation of something...
    Pab10S likes this.
  16. Yeah, this is more of a dialect questionnaire.
    Pab10S likes this.
  17. Aw, I'm Dutch :p I won't be able to do this I think :rolleyes:
  18. 1. What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house? - TP'ing
    2. What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball? - Pillbug (sometimes "roly poly")
    3. What is the bubbly carbonated drink called? - Disgusting. I don't call it anything since I never make contact with it in any way. :p
    4. What do you call gym shoes? - Gym Shoes
    5. What do you say to address a group of people? - Good morning if it's morning, hello otherwise
    6. What do you call the kind of spider (or spider-like creature) that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs? - Daddy Long Legs
    8. What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket? - grocery cart
    9. What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? - sun-shower
    10. What is the thing you change the TV channel with? - remote control

2. Unwanted items- Garbage
    5. Is it color or colour?- Color
    6. How does your date go? Is it dd/mm/yy or mm/dd/yy?- MM/DD/YY
    7. What do you call a line you wait in?- I call it a line. XD
    8. Realised or Realized?- Realized

Definitely more of a dialect than an accent thing. :p
  19. Half my life in England, the next half in Australia can jumble things up for you...

1. What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house? - Throwing toilet paper on a house
    2. What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball? - I don't know
    3. What is the bubbly carbonated drink called? - Coke
    4. What do you call gym shoes? - Joggers
    5. What do you say to address a group of people? - Hey
    6. What do you call the kind of spider (or spider-like creature) that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs? - I don't know my spiders
    7. What do you call your grandparents? - Gran and Granddad
    9. What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? - Rainbow
    10. What is the thing you change the TV channel with? - The remote

And Hash's:
    2. Unwanted items- Rubbish
    3. A padded long seat- Settee
    4. Short word for your mother- Mum
    5. Is it color or colour?- Colour
    6. How does your date go? d/m
    7. What do you call a line you wait in?- A line
    8. Realised or Realized?- Realised
    mba2012 likes this.