Suicide

Discussion in 'Writers' Corner' started by Jenna3404, Jan 2, 2015.

?

Have you ever attempted/though to commit suicide?

Yes 31 vote(s) 33.3%
No 62 vote(s) 66.7%
  1. I've never wanted to kill myself, but many times wished I could make the pain stop. In my younger years I try to ease the pain with alcohol and drugs but it never did solve the problem. About a year and a half ago I was diagnosed with depression and being bipolar. The meds that they gave me have helped but I still feel that we have some fiddling around with them that needs to happen. I do believe medicines can help some people. I just would encourage those that are having problems to seek medical and/or spiritual assistance. In my option death and self medicating aren't the way. I'm 53 and I believe that I've had these issues sense childhood. I wounder how much different life would have been if I had received help back then.

With love Mark.
    krysyyjane9191 and Todd_Vinton like this.
  2. 21 of the people who have voted in the poll say they have attempted to commit suicide.

Twenty-one.

I grieve for every one of them.
    607, Rainbowpony1000 and DeadlyAdmin like this.
  3. Ah, this topic comes up every once in a while.
    I've tried to commit suicide and threatened I would do it multiple times in the past, but my mother always saved me, thankfully.
    I don't think I'll ever try it again though, especially since my dad died last week, and if my mother would have to miss me too... it probably wouldn't end too well.
    I'm happy I still live, because even though this life here is tough, it's compensated for greatly in heaven.

Edit: I would like to mention my father definitely did not commit suicide, his heart stopped working while he was about to surprise his wife by working in the garden, my mum found him in the garage with his boots on.
    FDNY21 and Marktanion like this.
  4. I'm definitely not a qualified physician, but I do have real world experience and a whole lot of hell has passed before me in the 23 years I have been alive. Suicide is never the correct answer.

Before you just shrug that off as another person saying don't do it, I can tell you I have seen and been around enough trauma in my short time on Earth that has shown me this to be true. My family has never been the typical sub-urban family. My father who worked way too much to sustain our large family has been through 2 divorces, one having ended on the basis of insanity and the other because, well she wasn't a nice person...the second one happened while I was at the most impressionable age of my high school years and I will admit I had thoughts that it couldn't ever get any better. My family was torn apart and I couldn't trust anyone because I had trusted this lady and thought of her as my mother for more than 10 years and she didn't think I was good enough so why would anyone else. Among other things like calling my father abusive in the middle of the school's front office, my half-sister had her mother call the cops on me on grounds of abuse (i spanked her while babysitting with my cousin as a witness) and when my older ex-stepsister (who I looked up to when we grew up together) showed up to take the younger one to her mother's house, she told me she hoped I got a felony on my record so I could never get a job. Out of a family of six, three of them wanted nothing to do with me and just disappeared from my life, seemingly overnight. I was left with my brother and my dad, both of whom worked hard together to ensure we wouldn't need to worry about anything. And because they worked so hard, I'd likely only see them at dinner time.

My father then had this secretary who got a bit too enamored with him and he publicly turned her away. Well her daughter was in my grade and took it upon herself to spread a series of rumors around the school that basically led to the loss of every single one of my high school friends. I remember writing poems with suicidal thoughts floating through my head. I remember fantasizing multiple times about if I drove my car into this one wall and died instantly, would anyone grieve or would they all just shrug it off and think I was just another lost case. I think one time I almost got up the guts to do it, but I thought of my dad and stopped myself. My biological mother is bipolar and based on what I've been through with her, at that time I knew I needed to get help but was too scared to ask for it. Thankfully, my math teacher at the time could tell things were off and took me aside. He became my mentor throughout high school. I probably made his ears bleed with the amount of venting I did during lunch break, but he never turned me away or told me to stop complaining. In the end, he likely saved me from falling too far.

Today it almost feels surreal to type all that ^ out because I can't believe I was ever at that point in my life.

If anyone ever wants to talk and doesn't want to contact a professional because they are scared to, please message me. An open ear can be someone's saving grace and my inbox is always open. Or if you find it more comfortable to simply talk, you can get me on mumble most days. (Instructions at mumble.emc.gs)
    PenguinDJ, cadenman2002, 607 and 6 others like this.
  5. Keep in mind it does say 'thought/attemped'. I can't imagine all of those people having attempted suicide...
    607 likes this.
  6. Very touching thread.
    607 likes this.
  7. Nobody should be in a position where they consider ending their own life.

It is the collective responsibility of humanity to ensure that life is worth living for everyone.
    Galantisizer and fishmeal like this.
  8. This thread really hit me hard. Almost brings me to tears.

I have never attempted suicide, but I have gone through very rough times in my life, mainly concerning schools and being social. When I was very young, just less than 8, I realized that I didn't have any friends, my best friend at the time was my computer. I didn't have much contact with the "outside world", and I didn't really intend to any time soon. Then, in grade 4, I applied on a bursary to a expensive private schools and got accepted. Taking into consideration that we were just a middle class, regular, suburban family, to be accepted into such a highly regarded school was a hell of a surprise to me.

I loved the school, and I still go there to this day, but at first, I had a bit of a hard time fitting in. I stood out like a sore thumb in the crowd of rich people, and the workload took away most of my computer time and therefore also taking away my best friend at the time. I had to learn to socialize. I didn't like it, and at multiple times thought of purposely failing so that they would take back my scholarship and send me back to the easy school system, but no, I tried and tried and here I am today. I am now a popular kid at his school and am also an official bæ.

So what this boils down to is the following: keep trying. To take your own life is like getting a 70% on your finals then quitting school and never getting a job, ever. It's not worth it. You are amazing no matter who you are, I'm sure of it.

Wow, this is one of the first walls of text I've ever posted (achievement get!)
    Marktanion likes this.