[SUGGESTION] Tri-Monthly EMC Sponsorship

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Aliyaxoxo, Nov 23, 2017.

?

1=1?

Poll closed Nov 28, 2017.
1 4 vote(s) 23.5%
2 6 vote(s) 35.3%
2.5 7 vote(s) 41.2%
  1. So I think that every 3 month period (so that could be January, April, July, and October - February, May, August, and November, or March, June, September, and December) EMC selects a submitted player event to sponsor. By sponsor, I simply mean provide prizes for the host to use. It's pretty self-explanatory, but I can elaborate if anyone wants me to.

EDIT : The poll has become invalidated due to a certain collection of alts all voting no.
    CDJS and NuclearBobomb like this.
  2. Interesting...
  3. Seems like an interesting idea indeed... I don't know what to think about it for now...
    But, I was just wondering: what would actually hhappen when thhey would sponsor something? does that mean thhere is an amount of money made (out of nothhing) for them to send to you or that the event is made an official EMC event, including front-page and everything. Bothh seem rather strange but interesting.
  4. Any limitations that you'd think should be out in place? Are all event types eligible? Is the selection process random? If random, is it based on event submission or do events that run weekly get entered more than once? What is the cut off for being included in the selection? Would the players need to submit their event before the next quarter or would this be looking back on the quarter before and simply paying the player back?

I'm interested in the idea, but the above questions would need to be sorted out.
    ShelLuser, Blondekid42 and padde73 like this.
  5. I can't tell if you're trying to be condescending with that first sentence, but yes. That happens everyday on EMC. Vote bonus and rupee bonus are both generated "out of nothing" and given to players, so yes that's what I'm proposing here. I'm also proposing the rest of these. It's designed to encourage players to make creative events (such as CDJS's Prize Pop) without spending lots of rupees to fund it. Most people only go to events with prizes worth working towards, so it would also mean those people's events would have a larger "playerbase".

So I think the questions can be answered in several different ways to make it work, but I'll explain how I think it would be best. Let's assume this is for Quarter 2 (April-June). So people must submit their event before April 1st with the date already selected for the event, which would need to be sometime between April - June. So submissions for the next quarter will take place in the quarter before them. I feel like that was very poorly explained, but I'm hoping that gets the idea off. The only limitation I could think of being appropriate would be to not copy another player's event. I think the selection process should be player vote. That could either mean whichever event was most voted for is the winner, or the top 4 are taken and given to a panel of staff to vote for.
    ShelLuser and CDJS like this.
  6. Sounds great, though probably make a rule that the player event would need to be completed and ready to go before submitting event for vote. That way a really neat idea that gets voted in doesn't become a nightmare the night before. For the player who is still getting things ready to host.
    Tuqueque and EmpireMall like this.
  7. -1
    I respectfully disagree with this suggestion. From past experiences I know you can't submit a event more than 2 ( maybe 3 ) months ahead of time.

Even if you worked out some more details I think if a player is going to host an event they shouldn't have need for emc to sponsor their event. Most players might ask for optional donations from the community should anyone want to donate and that's fine but I'm not really in favor of this whole sponsorship idea in my opinion it takes the fun out of it

Edit : also after thinking on it a bit more, player held events, and staff held events are already posted on the front page so if players wanted to attend said events they only have to look at the home page.
    While yes prizes are a noice bonus, events are not always about winning as I'm sure you've heard many times before. It's about having fun, being around the community, perhaps making a few friends? If certain players don't go just because the prizes are not worth it then it's their loss, they're missing out on the fun ;)
  8. I really like this (despite the logistical issues to work out).
    EmpireMall likes this.
  9. Where'd you get that idea from?
    So the fun is losing money and valuable items? I don't think so.

So tell me why (non-staff) events with no prizes have less attendance? Not everybody follows this idea (for good reason). And who the hell says you can't have fun if prizes are involved?
    Tuqueque likes this.
  10. As I said, past experience
    Most people when they decide to host events with prizes involved are not worried about losing valuables. In fact I've seen many people buy things just to give away as prizes in said events. If your not willing to put effort towards an event you want to host, simply don't host it?

First of all no where did I say having prizes involved made the event unfun. You're always set on winning everything so I don't think you grasp what I'm trying to say. Prizes ARE A NOICE BONUS but even without them the event is also made to have fun, and possibly meet new people.
    As for the low attendance for events with no prizes, all I can think of is Chin's server, and possibly some test events some people may not join because of the time they are held since not everyone is in one time zone mind you. And yes some events don't appeal to other players the way they do to another, they simply might not come say to uhc because they don't like that style of playing on Minecraft
    Non staff might have less attendance due to it being less easily seen, or people not being able to plan ahead of time to make it. Or as I said above maybe it does not appeal to them.

Anymore questions ?
    ShelLuser and Blondekid42 like this.
  11. Yah not sure what experience would lead you to believe that, but that sounds like a lack of planning on your part, because I've done that before without issue.

So this helps my previous point, because hosting an event requires actual effort. If you think the only effort an event requires would be prizes, then you're the one failing to successfully host an event.

No I understand what you're saying, I just also happen to understand that you saying that doesn't effect other player's opinions. Events with massive prizes or that are staff-led have higher attendance. That's just how it is, because contrary to what you think, I'm not the only person who has a desire for riches.

---
    yah why do you keep trying to talk crap about me but blocking my ability to respond?
  12. Both of you calm down please. This is a suggestion thread and the idea should be discussed, not argued about. If you have an issue with the suggestion, then you should focus on ways to improve it instead of shooting it down outright. The result of two heads thinking will likely surpass that of a single mind.
    ShelLuser, Tuqueque and DarkModFallen like this.
  13. As of right now, I'd disagree with this unless emc were to re-release promos but tag them as "party event" or something.. Or the possibility to nerf the item.
    ChespinLover77 likes this.
  14. I get where you're coming from with this one, and it'd definitely be better to stick to things like Iron Vouchers, Recently Released promos, or yearless promos (because we saw what happened to OreBusters)
    ttyler333 likes this.
  15. Good on you, just because everything always seems to work out for you doesn't mean it does for others. I was contacted via pm on forums due to me planning my event to far ahead of time.

I can't even rember you even talking about anything of an event except convincing emc to sponsor events via prizes and boosting, but yes a lot more goes into events than prizes which is why if you put enough effort in to make it organized and fun people will be intrigued and maybe come even without prizes being given out. And yes some peoples "desire to have riches" and other silly collectables are what convince them to come to certain events, but I'm also not the only one who isn't driven to go to events just for the prizes take for example one of my favorite events
    Friday Night Mining (more properly known as Miner Mania these days) loads of people gather every week together to have fun building, mining, and hunting together. Yes occasionally prizes are given out at this type of event but that's not what's it's really known for. Its known for how much fun people have at it weatherit be with friends, new friends, or just to mine in a group.
    That was only an example of a staff event which might be why it's more attended, but there's no limit to what regular ol players like us can do Foxyravenger even started his own FNM / MM type event and although I've not been to one in a while i know a lot of players love it!

I know very well what I say is no fact, I know it's an opinion so of course it's not going to affect anyone else's. I'm just sharing my point of view, I know your also not the only greedy player I know of many people who are. But as stated above I'm not the only one who isn't driven just by prizes to attend events

You know very well why, we've discussed this before. When yoh say your not able to respond If your are referring to my profile I've actually had it so only people I follow can respond for quiet a while so dont don't think Im out to get you. You're not the first person I have disagreed with.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  16. As for this response, sorry I have been working on my previous post before you had posted so it didn't update, I would not like to say I was arguing but more of sharing why think it's a bad suggestion. I'll stop now since criticism is not needed on a suggestion
    ShelLuser likes this.
  17. +1 from some irrelevant PvPer.
    EmpireMall likes this.
  18. I have made my decision and it is a +1 from me.

First, we have to ask ourselves, what increases or decreases the attendance of a regular-player hosted event. Main factors are: The marketing of the event (front page or not, popularity of host, if it is spammed to its regulatory limits in chat, etc...), timezone, and the motivation behind going

Marketing - the more people know the name of the event, the more likely people will come.
    Timezone- player activeness during the time of event
    Motivation- if the attendee sees that they get more resources out than in. Basically, if they see their time is not wasted
    Motivation can be experience or digital rewards

If we give the three factors equal value

Event with 3/3
    Most staff-hosted events get 3/3 (affiliated with EMC or not)
    Popular people/active-member hosted events that ask for donations or use own money to finance the event (to make it more attractive for players to attend)
    Regular player with good marketing, idea for event, and prizes/reward

Events with 2/3
    Popular people/active-member hosted events with good marketing- but is hosting prize based event, and has "satisfying prizes"
    Most people won't attend an hour drop party if the best reward is a "current promo" because a chance for a promo in an hour loses to /promo or just some rupees.

Regular players with good marketing and satisfying prizes

Events with 1/3
    Regular players with poor marketing

I believe that if EMC adopts this suggestion, it would benefit those events which get, theoretically, 1/3 or 2/3 of the possible attendees.

SO.... I suggest adding that during the staff evaluation if sponsoring an event or not, then staff the predetermined event success without the sponsor. You won't really add much to a 3/3 if you sponsor them...
    I believe this suggestion also incentivizes players' creativity because they know, that they won't have to work "extra hard"(I know that when hosted a trivia a couple of years ago, I lost focus of school work...) to accommodate an event, because it won't ruin their own personal progress in EMC by damaging their balance or IRL. This means that we will see more event ideas coming, that even if it is not sponsored, EMC players can still see the ideas, because (if players elect an event, then the pool of events will also gain support outside of EMC itself).
    not sure if I explained myself clearly on all points... hope I did, lol
    EmpireMall likes this.