[SUGGESTION/REQUEST] Pre 1.13 Adventure Map Contest

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Aliyaxoxo, Aug 5, 2017.

1. It's been awhile since we've had an adventure map contest (I think the last one was the Leprachaun) and the last build contest was 8 months ago. We should do another adventure map contest before 1.13 comes out, simply because ALL commands are being changed for 1.13, and invalidating the knowledge of anyone who used command blocks before now. Just a simple, theme-less contest where you design an adventure map around an either pre-made build you find online or a build you make yourself, and the theme is up to each individual entry.
  2. These contests are made and based on the amount of entries. The last one had less than 15 entries so i can see why they are not having too many of them.
    607 likes this.
  3. I already made a comment on the last one being 3 years ago in the OP
  4. B U M P
  5. I think this is a cool idea. But in my opinion, the part about pre-1.13 shouldn't matter too much in my opinion. There will need to be some conversions, but the core mechanics will all be the same. Just some different command syntaxes.
    Outside of my role to follow through with such a contest though. No time :(
    SUPERI0N and 607 like this.
  6. It would just become far too time consuming to relearn all of the tricks that have been in the game for so long now.
  7. Disagreed. It's not the syntax that matters, it's the way of thinking, and the creative process used to solve problems. That's why you can often learn new languages rather quickly, even if you haven't used them before, simply because you've got experience with another language in a similar style (talking about programming languages specifically here, but the same applies to spoken languages, to a degree).
    SUPERI0N likes this.
  8. 607 and SUPERI0N like this.
  9. Exactly

Disagreed. I'd like to think I'm a relatively creative person when it comes to problem solving and conceptualizing something along the lines of an adventure map, which I enjoy quite a bit, as was seen with my snow globe entry. It's a perfect time for me to be talking about this, because it happened today. I'm learning Python in one of my classes, and today we were introduced to the input(). So of course that led me to think "hey I could make a minimalistic game with this" and began trying. Long story short, it didn't work. My creative process was there, but I couldn't do everything I wanted it to do"
  10. This is getting off topic. But I often lack the creative aspect. I can problem solve things. But creating an idea from scratch is not my forte. I want a problem to solve with certain parameters. Then I can come up with a solution. The less open ended, the better.
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  11. We'd make a great partnership for this event then :p
    chickeneer likes this.
  12. Well, then you're missing some important skills. :p One very important one is being able to look up information: for Python, you should definitely be able to find a lot of Q&A's around already, and for Minecraft, surely some guides will be written.
    SUPERI0N likes this.
  13. Considering how 1.13 isn't out yet, I doubt it
  14. Uh? Considering that 1.13 hasn't been released yet, it seems very logical that not a lot of guides have been published yet.