[Suggestion] Please make a way to turn off the rolling chat announcements spam

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by AdinD, Apr 30, 2017.

1. These are so annoying and you can turn off everything but them... Yes, I understand /event exists. I've been there and don't need to be reminded every 30 mins. Yes, if I plan an event I will let the staff know.

Please let us turn these off. It's very annoying that I can have everything in chat settings off and still get these spammed.

Thanks
  2. I forget how but there's a way to turn these off. Someone else will most likely answer your question soon.
  3. I checked all player settings. nothing.
  4. Ah that's why I didn't see it, it's spelled differently.

If EMC needs a plan to disable it here's my go.

Simply change announcements to their own channel so players can mute that channel. Include event announcements, livesteams (looking at you jack), etc. I don't want to see these sometimes and they get really bothersome.

Thanks.
    jossytheninja likes this.
  5. I thought this is what "/chat tips off" did? Removing stuff like the promotions and "/event" messages. I could be mistaken and it only does certain things but not the event stuff, though...
    PetezzaDawg likes this.
  6. And by that I mean I could be mistaken, it might only hide the promotions and whatnot, but I swore it turned off event messages too. Someone else may be able to give an input on this to either confirm or deny.
  7. Sadly not. My macro does this

Code:
    $${
        Echo(/chat hide town)
        wait(100ms)
        Echo(/chat hide local)
        wait(100ms)
        Echo(/chat hide residence)
        wait(100ms)
        Echo(/chat hide supporter)
        wait(100ms)
        Echo(/chat hide economy)
        wait(100ms)
        Echo(/chat hide group)
        wait(100ms)
        Echo(/chat status off)
        wait(100ms)
        Echo(/chat tips off)
        wait(100ms)
        Log(&4AFK CONFIGURATION ACTIVE)
        wait(100s)
        Echo(/away)
        wait(100ms)
        Config(AFK)
        wait(100ms)
        TITLE(,&4 AFK CONFIGURATION ACTIVE,0,40,0)
    }$$
    Still get them
  8. /tips off remove those messages such as you can use the /waste for materials, and all... not server events and promos...
  9. You can macro hide them with the chatfilter module if you REALLY want to.
  10. I don't know why everyone's fussing over this. There is nothing I love more than to have the left bottom of my screen fill up with words to read as I'm killing mobs. :eek:
    Czarina_Julie and TomvanWijnen like this.
  11. As stated you could use a chat filter macro to filter them.

Although we have no plans to make it so you can turn them off (these broadcasts are often important) we do have plans to change the system to a more intelligent rollout of the broadcasts and not just on a timed loop as it is now. Though this is lower on the priority list (Empires is the top todo) we will get there and make the broadcasts more user friendly.

As for event broadcasts. If you feel that an event is getting broadcast too much or too often then please PM Krysyy with the event name and approximate date/time. She is very good about looking into these things and if needed taking appropriate action. We all want for the best user experience. This include making sure everyone knows about upcoming and ongoing events and so sometime we get a bit overzealous with the broadcasts (I was guilty of this in the past) and if that happens we are sorry.
  12. The problem is that then I'd have only filter messages from mods and the risk of a mod message not coming through is too high. My script has an excessive amount of alerts to guarantee that I will be aware of messages from the staff to prove I'm not afk (which has worked so far; the only downside is that ive had to hit my reset button everytime the "onChat" variable is triggered).

It would just be nice to mute everything minus server restarts sometimes.
  13. We will never add the ability to turn these messages off as then players would miss important announcements.

We however are planning to redesign the backend code of it to prevent the same message being sent to the same player so often.

Just with how its implemented, its a global broadcast. For important events, we set it to low intervals to ensure the most people see it.

If we set it for 2 hour interval or more, someone who only plays for an hour may not see it at all...

It will be fixed eventually.

I've reduced the event to 90 instead of 30 mins now
    Sachrock, AdinD, PetezzaDawg and 2 others like this.
  14. Thanks so much! I really appreciate the help, I might be able to focus now!