[Suggestion] Loosen spawning rules for custom bosses

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by triphora, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Custom mobs and bosses appear to follow the same rules as the vanilla equivalent of their mob; that is to say, for example, bosses cannot spawn in daytime, nor can they spawn in the nether or end (with the exception of Eyender in the end).

My two suggestions are as follows:

1. Allow all bosses to spawn in the nether and end
    2. Allow bosses to spawn in daytime

Number 2 specifically would allow bosses to spawn in the Utopia wild/waste, which they are currently unable to do without a very very large area of darkness (and even then I'm not sure I've seen any spawn).

also please fix low risk detection kthxbai
  2. From my initial questions about this, I still think these are the requirements for a boss to spawn:
    • Light level of 7 or less
    • No blocks blocking access to sky
    • Takes the spot of a spawning mob and spawns it (that's why only Eyender can spawn in the End)
    So there is no way for the bosses to spawn in caves or anything due to the sky access thing. And due to eternal daytime, they never spawn in the wilderness/wastes due to light never dropping below 7 with access to sky.

I will gladly take a boss or two out in the sands of the Utopian Wilderness, and when I've had my fill I'll just turn them off ;)
    Tuqueque and wafflecoffee like this.
  3. As where the bosses stand, I think they are fine just being a overworld deal. I'd rather not run into a Marlix in the Nether and not be able to reach my spoils since of lava. I don't think that enraged mobs should be touched since they do spawn in dark areas as you said "like their counterpart".

What bosses should operate is based on difficulty and area of spawn, more frequent when difficulty rises. However, I think the current setup being only night time isn't hurting anyone. I guess as what others said, utopia has a issue with these bosses due to not having a night cycle. With my difficulty idea and with allowing bosses to spawn during the day would work well to settle this issue.
  4. Wait a minute here... When I suggested Momentus be able to spawn in the Nether everyone dumped on the idea saying things like there isn’t enough height and zombies don’t spawn down there...

I can see Marlix spawning down there now since Skeletons now spawn down on the sands.
    Ochres and 607 like this.
  5. I second this. It's awful.
  6. I don't think Momentus belongs in the nether. Maybe the other ones could be considered.

The issue with "spawn in daytime" is how custom mob spawning happens. Is that it replaces vanilla spawns... I would argue that under normal circumstances - one would not want monsters spawning in lit areas... we could look into that - if that is what people want though... But I think that this would be a severe deviation from vanilla.

As for risk detection. Would it help if I just hide the risk detection message? You are allowed to kill mobs even with low risk. It just affects the 'best' drops. fundamentally, it just says that you are killing the mob at low risk to yourself. Vast majority of reports about risk detection... they want it to not trigger when they are in fact at low risk of being harmed...
    Otherwise, I would need more information about what is broken that needs fixed. I have not recently been given any information on what needs "fixed".
    607 and wafflecoffee like this.
  7. It's especially noticeable with Momentus, usually it's that it is triggering when you're standing right next to the mob or attacking it directly, no obstacles or traps, but it can't be bothered to take 2 steps to the right or walk or do something, to fix its own situation. Usually it just feels like the mob "thinks" it can't reach or hit me whether or not that's actually true. Instead, it just triggers low risk detection and laughs in your face.

I've also noticed that Marlix will trigger it if you begin the encounter by shooting it with fireworks from a crossbow(which by the way make it way easier to start the Marlix fight, before it begins normal attack patterns and is just being annoying).

I think the best example is when I had to clear some witches out of my iron farm, I didn't want to release the other villagers, so I went into crawl mode and got right up next to them at eye level and started attacking. But they decided to trigger low risk detection, probably due to faulty AI thinking they couldn't hit me with potions. So I had to back out, grab ender pearls and crawl all the way in to kill them. But when I had some more villagers turn to witches, I decided to just shoot them with my bow through the hole. That time they died just like normal and even threw potions, even though they only hit themselves.

I mean, with my first Sorgina fight, she tp'd into a little paddock that was nearby and I made the foolish mistake of swinging at her over the fence and it triggered and I lost my extra rewards even though I was fighting her normal for the rest of the fight.

Really what I'm saying is that it's not our fault mobs have dumb AI and we shouldn't be punished for it.

Perhaps give several attacks without the mob being able to hit back before it triggers. I do feel that bosses have some decent counters to low risk attack methods, but maybe people have ways around it. My method to fighting bosses is to grab some potions and set up a Res II beacon and tank everything, so does that count as low risk? Kinda subjective if you think about it.

I feel like that may not be the best explanation but whatever.
    Burki, 607 and wafflecoffee like this.
  8. I have no opinion on the message being removed, as I can see both benefits and drawbacks to that.

There are two main discrepancies I've found with risk detection:
    - Passive mobs can still trigger risk detection, even when you're literally within the same block as it; risk detection doesn't go away as the mob cannot attack you
    - On difficulty 5+, bows always trigger risk detection, no matter what it seems; whether you let the mob attack you or not.
    Hope this helps :)
    607 and Cyberazaz101 like this.