[Suggestion] Liking Residences

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by azoundria, May 4, 2017.

1. Interesting thoughts! I'm glad we've got a community that can discuss things like this. :)

Another thing that came to mind: could it be beneficial to have ratings be private? Sure, some people seem to really like leaderboards, but comparing like that could also easily raise issues like envy.
    For a system that applies weights to residences based on ratings, those ratings don't have to be public.
    Of course, if you'd get rewards for positive ratings, you'd notice you were getting positive ratings. But that's no problem. But this way, if you would be getting negative ratings, you wouldn't necessarily notice.
    haastregt likes this.
  2. is actually even more complicated than what's discussed.
    Likes would also imbalance super malls. If 200 people vote a super mall a 10, it holds no more weight than the res that got 20 votes at a 10.

With likes, that is not true. With a like system, the entire premise of penalizing bad residences is no longer possible.

On the concept of receiving a 1/10 due to the person not liking you. I've already mentioned multiple anti abuse concepts on that regard. We can also even limit how many 1/10 scores you can give in a time period to stop people from just going and rating everything bad.

Abuse of the system can be easily thwarted. And additionally, unless every single person who rates your residence is someone who dislikes you... The dislikes will be balanced out by the real ratings.

This is easily solvable on a rating system too.
    This is too complicated. Also, "new" would be defined as a clean res reset, where you wouldn't have a creation. Not looking to add a "My Residence was completed on" date, as then we have to add abuse rules to that too.
    607 likes this.
  3. This is a very valid concern. Id have to think on it. maybe just use 2 pools?
  4. I agree that it would be too complicated. However I do not think a clean res reset should be the only determining factor of what is consider a "new' shop.

Overall I do like the idea of the rating system and how it rewards those that do get good ratings. However I've been to many stores that are just startups where they might have just a few items (logs, iron, etc.) and compared to other stores get a low rating.

So I would propose a grace period on the "50% lifetime" portion of your recommendation. Maybe 90 days (just an arbitrary number) until history/lifetime is computed for that res' that added the tag /shop. So if one tags their res with /shop the clock starts ticking. With the scoring occurring monthly, only the monthly like scores would be used to score the newly tagged /shop res' for the first three months. The fourth month would be the first "lifetime" month score.

To combat people from adding a /shop tag for three months then remove the tag only to immediately add the /shop tag back, only the first (original) /shop tag date is used. So either a clean res reset or the first date of tagging a res with /shop would be valid.

On another suggestion regarding the likes. How bout a simple breakdown of the rating system to an overall EMC Rating and an SMP# Rating? I could see where a shop could get a higher SMP# Rating than an EMC Rating (for many reasons). I'm going to support my fellow SMP'ers by "staying home" and the SMP# Rating would mean more [to me] than the EMC Rating.
    We3_MPO likes this.
  5. I think this would increase work for everyone. Everyone would want a better res, Increasing shop sales and forcing smaller shops to be searched out as the bigger ones would run out of certain Items. This would also increase the flow of rupies in the long run. Akiar said up there somewhere as tokens for rewards. +1 I am all for these ideas with all the tweaks mentioned.

+1 Azoundria Great Idea!!!
  6. I do like the idea. I didn't read everything, but with this system I do anticipate a lot of requesting (don't want to say begging) for ratings from other players. I still like the idea overall. Could end up being a bit of a popularity contest too. Maybe.
    We3_MPO likes this.