[SUGGESTION?] Invisibility potion, fire charges, and name tags

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by fishmeal, Oct 26, 2014.

1. -Invisibility potions still allow griefers to get away with some things and would allow hackers to speed by undetected. Some things still rely on staff vision. Invisibility will not be included on EMC.
    -TNT is controlled by permissions in town. The problem with fire charges is the ability to shoot it at other residences.
    -Mobs are harmless to the environment maybe, but not to you.
    -Name tagging is only meant for non-hostiles. What would be the purpose of this on a hostile?
  2. It works on hostiles in vanilla Minecraft. I already conceded that mobs are not harmless, but they aren't made more harmful by name tags.
    It renames them and prevents them from despawn. Does anything in Minecraft have a purpose? I want a zoo.
    I guess it's only real useful purpose is protecting villager zombies from despawning while you heal them, but we have eggs for that. It's mostly a for-my-own enjoyment thing, and a bit of curiosity as to why it was removed anyway.
    I think tiny slimes are considered hostile, and they make really nice pets on a lead. There are some redstone machines out there that function with a renamed mob, too.

That sucks about invis potions though. I'd still love to see them make mobs ignore you while totally visible to players, but like I said that's actual work for people who already have lots. Obviously RainbowChin can't be having that in Mob Arena either.
    They can also be used to make mobs invisible, but there's not a lot of non-griefing uses for that.

Would fire charges outside of town be a problem? :p
    607 likes this.
  3. Abuse of a game mechanic of mobs not despawning is one of the reasons it hasn't been re-implemented. If you can't egg them, you don't need to name them.

Allowing firecharges would disable our ability to track griefers by coordinates because firecharges can be fired a distance away from the player. Our coordinate tracking system is very effective at the moment.
  4. What does this mean?
    What abuse is there?

Now wither bosses don't even despawn without name tags. I can't imagine a more dangerous mob than that. Well, Aikar imagined some... I think they only show up at death parties though. I hope.

Egging is not vanilla. Name tags are.

Ever seen a TNT cannon? :p
    I'll accept them as a loss, I guess [Edit: It's not like me to give up. What about only disabling them in the dispenser? They're just really wasteful flint & steel in my hand, right?]. I'd still love to see name tags working.

Thanks for actually responding.
    kevdudeman likes this.
  5. That is what I was thinking the whole time...
    fishmeal likes this.
  6. bump for name tags...