[Suggestion] EMC 'reform'

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by synth_apparition, May 7, 2015.

1. I'm not attempting to shame them. Other members have already done that. I'm genuinely sick of this being shot down every time because it is all 'too custom'.
    CSS is irrelevant since there will be a new theme. Registration isn't any different, as per login. Rupees isn't different. Ranks isn't overly hard either. Billing I fail to see any point in mentioning as it merely is a button that links to PayPal. (Do correct me if I'm wrong, with evidence, I don't want just your word).

And none of you actually answered me as to why it is so hard. Sure you pointed out a lot of things that can be handled from addons and the rest is either externally processed or is just a matter of replacing code as it merely displays information.

And for whoever else wishes to tell me to calm down over this. PM me. Then you can tell me to calm down. Cause this is me calm.
  2. CSS is relevant. Even with a new theme, many custom parts of the sites will be missing their required CSS elements. Rupees obviously use a database. However, like Aikar has stated JustinGuy modified the core elements of Xenforo, the same applies to ranks. Billing is with syncing to the database and keeping everything updated.

It is hard because Aikar doesn't know what does what, and where things happen. Aikar was never involved in the site before, so that means it's more difficult for him to figure out where each part of the code is lying around.

Just because you have some basic experience with Xenforo doesn't mean you can apply it to EMC's situation. The site is practically a mess of code which isn't supposed to be where it is.
    Perry_Stahlsis likes this.
  3. i never meant to make it seem like i thought you couldnt or wouldnt update the site, i just feel like once 1.8 is stable those of us complaining about new things would be okay with a few weeks of silence while the site gets a little more flashy and mobile. like if you made a statement saying everything was going to be put on hold and a solid two months would be dedicated to improving the websites functionality and potentially updating i think the amount of complaints you would get would be limited at best
  4. Except those that want name changes finalized...and dragon tombs...Everyone has their own idea of what they want next, but first is fixing 1.8 issues.
  5. well, put it to vote then :) make a big important home page poll saying where should we go next.

stick with DT roadmap in focus,
    some small other changes and DT in background
    name changes then everything else,
    a few weeks of focus on a new improved site then back to the DT grind
    some healthy mixture of all of this
  6. Everything you talk will cost EMC more money, and no to mention time taken off to help EMC a better place.

There is no need for a site upgrade as there is no problems with it. I like the site, as i am not big on the new modern sites. I am able to load it fast, when there is animation all over it takes for ever to load on slower internet.

The Dragon Tombs was released 3 years ago, but has not been working on it the full 3 years, Aikar works on it when there is free time when he is not working on bug fixes, and small updates. Small updates include (PVP, Firefloor, Mobarena, EMC Games server, Special Events, and so much more).

Updating the logo there is no need as if we update, it wont be the same, Look at it this way, (Has Mc Donald's ever changed their logo?).

We should update the Empire ad, as imo it seems a bit outdated.
    Perry_Stahlsis and Gawadrolt like this.
  7. I could be completely wrong but I feel like overwhelmingly you would lose in this vote with dragon tombs(even by the people that don't understand that sitting in town all the time, it has no benefit to them) coming out leaps and bounds ahead of a website that half the player base has only seen because of /register and new updates generally seen as promos to the younger playerbase, where promos also have a selective fan base. DRAGONS, there you go, you don't have to say tombs, you don't have to say what it is about. If you send out a email in game to every person registered and asked them to vote: website, small updates or dragons, you lose unless you say dragons. I personally don't care about dragons, eggs or what kind of mechanic it goes through, just want to see the land claiming in the wild which will effectively make the wild more accessible to sooooo many more people.

Honestly everyone complaining about the website really baffles me. The only time I have any complaints about the website is when im on my phone, which isn't that often. Even then it is usable if not annoying. Also, the whole old, outdated, childish, naive things are pretty contradictory. "Seasoned" there you go a word that actually makes sense XD

Edit: ok... so there is one thing that is extremely annoying about the website that I have no clue if was even touched in any of the updates xenforo has released: the search feature being just more than completely useless. Especially in the age of search bars...
  8. nah i dont think seasoned is right, im trying to convey that the website is acceptable but ive gotten bored of it and think that some minor changes need to be made and maybe look less like an aol forum. ive grown world weary of the site. seasoned is a word to describe the site but not the one im looking for.
    there are things that people have complained about in the past that some to mind, like having a limit on how many people you can invite to a pm, not being able to leave a pm, spoilers being broken always, that sort of thing. minor things that aikar just cant fix because of this version of xenforo.
    also i named it dt so that the masses you are talking about who just flock to the next best thing may not know what it is. the vets who have spent time here and (mostly) think critically would weigh the options and choose whichever one fits their style best. i think most shopkeepers would probly choose the site
  9. The logo update might not cost anything. If it was done through a community contest (there are plenty of talented graphic artists on EMC :p), like I suggested, it would cost nothing.

I'm not talking about an animated flashy thing. Those things annoy me as much as they must do to you, maybe even more, as my computer might be considerably slower than your own. I'm talking about something that looks like an updated, more visually appealing, and responsive Flexile theme. The one EMC uses right now is God knows how old, and IMO looks kind of like something 2008 could start a lawsuit over :p
  10. Actually considering usually the database connection script is through a separate php file with the information ...

and all of the personal information is stored in a database as well...

You can just set it up through your web hosting provider to deny access to the file, and database, but you could make the variables global and just say the database, table's column names ... and someone 'can' do all of this...

I mean, yeh - all you'd have to do is type:

Code:
    <?php
    require('db/conn.php')
    dbconn($db_host, $db_name, $db_user, $db_pass);

$query = "SELECT * FROM $table";
    $result = mysqli_query($query);

while ($row = mysqli_fetch_array($result)){
    $name = $row['username'];
    $pass = $row['password'];

echo "<div>$name : $pass</div><br/>";
    }
    ?>

but*** even if someone types that for example (or something similar, using the information given out), there's no way it's harmful unless they have the ability to upload the file to the web server.

What you could do however, is copy the database tables to another database (remove all sensitive information with fake information) ... give out that information to whomever is working on it... and they can freely get a feel of how to work on the site without feeling like he/she is tiptoeing around doing something wrong.
    southpark347 and Bro_im_infinite like this.
  11. For my part, I like the website as-is. In past experience, it seems like every time a site feels the need to update, it gets worse in some way - ugly layout, more ads, slower load times, too much clutter, or some awful combination of these things. I'd much rather keep an old website with no issues than a new one that makes me (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Also:

Could not resist.
    New meme: "There's a Youtube for that."