[Suggestion] EMC 'reform'

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by synth_apparition, May 7, 2015.

1. I definitely respect you for having the guts to say this.

However, I do not agree with you on the dragon tombs point. I feel that EMC, within the past few years, has been working and focusing mostly on small, nice little things instead of large updates, which I like. Personal player settings, custom mobs, more focus on staff community interaction; EMC is focusing on the smaller, sweeter things in MC life.

Regarding the logo, the first version for may was atrocious, but this is acceptable. However, I cannot think how the logo relates to may entirely.

AS far as the website goes, I agree. Aikar, while if it ain't broke don't fix it always applies, there are issues that go beyond looking outdated. The forums do mean a lot to new players, and a more modern look, mobile site, and other features are a necessity nowadays. I am not saying you do not do a lot of work, nor am I saying that the website should be a number 1 priority, but it seems to have been neglected long enough. The site should role out with minor changes over a few weeks or months (maybe that is not how it works, so correct me if I am wrong), until the site is fully updates.
  2. We don't have to change the actual theme. There is an updated & responsive version of EMC's current theme. The only thing that may need updating is the extra CSS that was added for other things such as the leaderboards.
    sambish20 likes this.
  3. A new theme would be cool though.. :p
  4. Bro_im_infinite likes this.
  5. due to the nature of the problem, its not possible at all to release it in stages. It's a "Stop what I'm doing, focus on the website for 2 weeks, have a 1+ hr downtime on the forums and perform the upgrade".

And as I said above I have it on my soon to do list.

Also a Modern look is an opinion. Remember EMC isn't trying to be "like every other server", we are our own entity and rather stand out from the others. While this style is what people really know for EMC, we are intending to change themes though on the upgrade. Still going for a dark feel, but will be a refreshed look.
  6. also krysyy made this logo for a reason... give her time and it will be made clear. She's got a lot going on IRL atm.
  7. TigerstarMC and Bro_im_infinite like this.
  8. Well my original plans got a little shot due to the storm knocking out my internet, so I went ahead and adjusted the logo since it doesn't need to match anything anymore, but I kept the water theme. Other than Mother's Day, there wasn't a very clear holiday to use for the Month of May.
    And yes, there are some other plans for the water bit =P

The May Newsletter IS coming out this weekend. There were a few things that I wanted included in it that took a little longer than I wanted to finalize, but having the May newsletter come out, then making a separate post for it would e redundant. The people involved know who they are.

On a side note with regards to the OP,
    Dragon Tombs were revealed when they were a fleeting concept at most. The community pushed for more transparency and that is what happened. The idea, however great it is, DOES take time to work on and takes effort to design all the small mechanics that will make it amazing. I've said before that revealing the final goal probably should have waited until we had more under our belt, but we've done the best we can while working around more important updates, major bugs, real life work, etc.

Aikar works his butt off on EMC almost every day. There hasn't been a time when I've been unable to reach him within an hour if the servers went down, etc. He's constantly fixing and tweaking things as they are reported to him and releasing small updates here and there when he sees something that can easily be changed to make the server better. The development team IS doing a fantastic job considering the obstacles that are in place in the Minecraft server world. It's not just the code that is difficult, it's the idea generations not being feasible, knowing if something is or isn't going to work, bug fixing when stuff breaks (because it will), etc. I've been on other servers every now and again to see if I can narrow down changes we should enact and I'm proud of the Empire as it is today.

So no, we don't have a fancy complicated logo. We don't have updated forum software with fancy gimmicks in place YET. However, we DO have a fantastic community with Staff and Community Teams that put in effort to make this place freaking amazing compared to anywhere else.

Moderators: Thank you for fighting the fires and helping the players with all their problems, no matter how small (and for not hating me when I nitpick at your actions in my Staff reviews)
    Senior Staff: Thank you for being there to fix what needs fixing and handle what the Mods cannot.
    Aikar: Thank you for always putting 150% into EMC and being open to discussions, even when you should probably be asleep.
    Maxarias: Thank you for handling the billing stuff in the crazy hours of the night. It's always comforting to hear those telltale pings from my phone at 3 am =P
    Developers: Thank you for handling the crazy code that I can only understand 5% of (if that). Some of the stuff that comes out of y'alls minds is magic.

Not staff, but deserve recognition:
    Contributor Team Members: Thank you for keeping the wiki for the Empire up to date, putting up with ItsMeMatheus, and being walking Empire wikipedias to players online. Also thank you for your awesome blogs, even when Google SEO is a pain.
    Youtuber Team Members: Thank you for the videos that you create to showcase and help the Empire. Also thank you for not wanting to kill me or Alex when we're harsh on you. We do it because we care, I promise.
    Build Team Members: Thank you for not murdering Simon. I know he's a handful when he wants a project done NOW and while he doesn't sleep, you definitely should =P
  9. I think I get the reason behind the logo... is it because it always rains in May or is that just a British thing?

Also; thanks for updating it from the fishing one, it just didn't look right. I definitely prefer this one <3
    Perry_Stahlsis and SoulPunisher like this.
  10. Texas has been in rainy mode for 4 days straight now and it doesn't look to be stopping.
    hashhog3000 likes this.
  11. April showers bring May flowers.

It rained in Florida for about a week straight.
    hashhog3000 likes this.
  12. April showers bring May showers, May showers bring June showers and June showers bring July showers, and July showers bring August flowers. August flowers bring September heatwaves, and September heatwaves bring October showers... :p
  13. California dreams of these quotes.
  14. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say no thanks needed - we do it because we enjoy playing out part in the community :)

Staff review...AGAIN???? *hides* :p
  15. The staff members are pedaling as fast as they can trying to update EMC and making it look better. There's no other way to disrespect them except this. Maybe, when they aren't as busy you can suggest this, but I think EMC site and logo is fine. Aikar still has to update name changes! I know you members who have been here for around 3 years are getting a bit bored, but there's no reason to gripe about an item that hasn't been finished. Y'all need to be patient; Aikar is just one person :p
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  16. It's always staff review time =P
    kevmeup and weeh666 like this.
  17. Suddenly, blackknight finally finds out where the rules are.
    Gawadrolt, jkjkjk182 and hashhog3000 like this.
  18. Your thanks is much appreciated, but it will take a thousand pounds of gold to compensate putting up with that frightening feathered fiend! :p

Just kidding, of course. We love you, Matheus. <3