[Suggestion] Discord as a Possible Replacement for Mumble

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by OmarWrongChat, Dec 17, 2016.

?

What do you think?

+1 10 vote(s) 76.9%
I don't use Mumble 3 vote(s) 23.1%
-1 (Tell me why!) 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. Hello!

I recently discovered a software called Discord which is essentially a voice chat/text chat software that can be used as a general text chat and a voice chat as a replacement for mumble. It is completely free to host a server which would reduce the cost for the EMC owners by that much possibly helping save money to spend on other parts of the server that need it more.

This application has a great interface and is much more elegant (in my opinion) compared to Mumble. It is easy to admin the server and you can install bots to keep track of certain things (play music, moderate chat channels, etc.) or just have fun. In addition, this application is really easy to download and can even be used in the browser if certain people don't want to do all the work to download the software (you know who you are ;)). It is designed for games and has minimal impact on the machine it's running and is all around a great software.

Check it out yourself and let me know what you think! (Discord features and Website)

Thanks for reading this far! :)
    Galantisizer, Sachrock and 607 like this.
  2. Discord seems great. I really like it so far.
    However, I can't say for sure it'll be better, as I haven't used either Mumble or Discord very intensively.
    I think it'd be good to look into it, though. It might be a very good change.
    Although I hope Discord activity won't take away forum activity, which it might.
    AlexC__ and OmarWrongChat like this.
  3. The issue is many people use Mumble and hate to get on one day to find they dont use Mumble and have to go with a Program they never used before.

I think Mumble also allows them to have certain features that Discord may not offer. Then there is the Hosting Fact. If they can host it from their servers or have to pay for someone else to host it.
  4. I believe that this was already suggested as Aikar and I did an analysis for the benefits of Mumble vs Discord for our use 2 months or so ago. The final result was that we will be staying with mumble.
    Galantisizer, 607 and finch_rocks_1 like this.
  5. we recently evaluated discord just a few weeks ago and decided against a move at this time.

channel names being even more limited in formatting than mumble, no tree style channel management, and no temporary channels, would remove features and things we want.

the only benefit discord has is the simplicity to join, which does not weigh enough over the things we want, that we would lose.

Anyone who's truly going to be apart of the voice chat community will put forth the effort to install the program if they don't already have it.

If they aren't even willing to install software to join the community, then they aren't likely to even stay anyways.
    Galantisizer, Tuqueque and 607 like this.
  6. Ahh ok. That makes total sense. Thanks for explaining!
    ShelLuser, 607 and Tuqueque like this.