[Suggestion Denied] /Loot command for Derelict Res

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by MeadMaker, Jun 22, 2014.

?

What do you think?

Yes! I want to pillage and burn! 4 vote(s) 13.8%
Boo! This will discourage players more than motivate them. 11 vote(s) 37.9%
You're mean! I would never suggest such a horrendous thing. 13 vote(s) 44.8%
I like the idea but probably wouldn't participate in looting. 1 vote(s) 3.4%
I'd rather chase squids.... Wait, what's this thread about? 10 vote(s) 34.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. if this were to be at all fair, heres my ideas for changes:
    first off the res is only set to loot for an hour and after then everything is gone for good (anyone who has been to a grief party knows this is enough time)
    secondly the loot is broadcast across all servers on the forums or something so that everyone knows
    third, only the destroy flag is given meaning no container or redstone or use, this will prevent shop owners from having to constantly worry about someone setting their res to loot.
    fourth, a pm is sent on forums an hour (or a day?) before the res is set to loot telling them this is their final warning before there derelict turns to open loot.
    fifth (and this is the most important one) to set the loot command a staff member has to approve to actually initialize the system. this would mean you type the command and a message is sent on square to all staff saying "bitemenow11 has initialised loot on res 11111" and they can accept or deny it.

with these proposed changes the idea becomes more of a group event, prevents people from spite looting because staff can look and see who the person being set to loot is and if they have a chance of coming back
  2. It is bad enough seeing the occasional player who is upset that all of their items were deleted and that they lost their residence . If this were implemented they would also be hurt knowing that someone has their stuff.

On the other side this would create a class of players who do nothing but monitor residences for their status in order to harvest their contents.

It is destructive. I don't see anything healthy in doing it for anyone.
  3. This would affect the kind of community we have....are we cooperative trying to help each other and rooting for each other to succeed. Or are we a pvp community, every person only caring about themselves, having no respect for what others have built only looking for the chance to destroy it for personal gain.

If a res is destroyed to make room for a new player that is understandable. If a res is destroyed out of callous greed, that is pvp. If this went into affect, I don't know if I would even want to build anything in town anymore. Why even bother, if I know that people are just waiting to tear it down the first chance they get. Might as well move far out into the wild and build. Your build would probably be safer.
  4. After explanation, I say NO to this suggestion. Builds are going to be in danger after 30 days, or 45 due to my choice. Most derelict residences don't get claimed for about a few months. With this suggestion active, builds will be destroyed the exact moment that a residence goes derelict. (Demarcation)
    joshmcf and MrsWishes like this.
  5. No.
    I feel like this would encouraging griefing in the waste/frontier, and make new players think that stealing/griefing is ok.
    joshmcf likes this.
  6. My res went derelict with 800k worth of supplies and emc promos. Just because it went derelict does not mean the res isn't valuable.
  7. What does horrendous mean? I think this is, but I'm not sure :3
    MrsWishes likes this.
  8. From Dictionary.com

(adjective) shockingly dreadful; horrible: a horrendous crime.
    Origin: 1650–60; Latin horrendus dreadful, to be feared
    607 likes this.
  9. I didn't say there were no valuable residences. I said that many of the derelict residences probably do not have a high value. Of course this is speculation just based on my personal experience. Actual data may prove me wrong in this regard.
  10. I totally get that in order to promote a feeling of community and spirit of sharing that it's easier to mandate that players just cannot profit from others misfortune. And it wouldn't be right to implement something like this if the general perception by players is that this would foster negative feelings in the EMC community (which it seems from the comments and poll results so far).

The flaw in this logic is that players are claiming derelict residences out of selfish desire in the first place (I want this plot) when in reality it seems that whenever I pull up a Town Live Map, there are lots of open residences. So it isn't necessary to claim derelict residences for new players to have someplace to live.

This could change in the future but from reading Aikar's plans, he actually wants to expand Town servers and make larger plots available, so it doesn't seem likely that there will be a shortage of open town plots.

So, under your line of reasoning all claiming of derelict residences should be eliminated, unless there are issues with running out of available spaces in Town.
  11. you can pm the staff when something like that happens and they'll give you more days
  12. You make some good points and have sparked a lively discussion today. :) I see your point about the force claiming already being in place and in effect allowing players to take a plot location from another player who is derelict being similar to taking their stuff. I also can see the value in items not just disappearing from the game. I have had lots of fun at grief parties hosted by res owners who were leaving or just wanted a fresh start, so I can understand the appeal. I also can see value in those items being used as prizes in contests by moderators.

While I agree with some of your points, I still have the feeling, as stated above, that it would make more people unhappy than happy. That is just my opinion and I respect your point of view and value it.
    Pab10S and MeadMaker like this.
  13. I like it
  14. To the Op you prolly took some time out to think about this idea but this suggestion is Denied by Emc staff. /Loot feature would cause a lot of arguments between members in-game. Also when derelict res comes up in may stay there for awhile until A. The system makes room for open reses on Smp or B. A Players uses /force claim resetting the res for own personal reasons. The Items on the res at the point are voided and are deleted forever.
    Bro_im_infinite likes this.
  15. This pretty much sums up why this can't/will not happen.
    cadgamer101, 607 and MrsWishes like this.
  16. So, first of all I know this has already been denied.
    But, I'm curious. Is it more because:
    1. Players would be hurt knowing someone else has their stuff.
    2. Some players would just love to monitor residences to harvest their contents.

If 1: Personally I disagree. I felt more offended when I was away for an extended period of time and I knew all my stuff from my residence had been deleted rather than going to benefit other players in some way.

If 2: I totally get this. Some of these players might not otherwise play EMC, and their only objective is to prey on others or to hurt others, and these we do not need to attract.
  17. 2 is my reason, but 1 is going to happen to some people.

but this idea essentially promotes the concept of stealing: Taking from others items that do not belong to you.

So encouraging this behavior would create a group of people as you said in 2), just as we've had people target new players to get their promo items cheap.

People like to take every advantage they get to make money and we don't want to encourage people doing it through questionable moral methods.
    607, LadBlo and MrsWishes like this.