Storage Wars!!

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Bravo_Zulu, Apr 21, 2018.

1. When residences are scheduled for a reset (deletion due to Derelict status or Ban or whatever), instead, have an auction to buy the rights to the residence for a number of days, maybe 1 day. After that time expires then reset the residence.

Of course this would exclude any 'Voter' items. Maybe those can be removed prior to the 'rights' being granted to the winner of the auction.

Maybe the winner of the auction could use the new residence as their own giving up their previous residence. Depending how many plots the winner can simultaneously own.

Might be fun to see a Mad Dash to clear out a res. :)
    Thanks
    -BZ-
    slo_tatornator likes this.
  2. Hmm... to be perfectly honest I don't really see the advantage here.

See, the thing is that if the residence was up for a reset it would already have been derelict. Which means that anyone could have (force) claimed it (see: /res forceclaim) which only costs them 5k. So why the auction if the res. had already been available for a long time?

Unless you mean that players would get a chance to buy the residence with all its contents. In that case I'd have to go with a firmly -1 here. Because that would basically mean that you'd be somewhat stealing from the original player. I also don't think such auctions could ever be done in a fair way (there is a reason why residences may not be auctioned off right now).

Such a setup could only incite drama I think. What if the player comes back 1 week later, only to find their full residence (all their work!) suddenly being owned by someone else? What if they then ask to get it back and the other player refuses? I don't think that's going to end well...

It's sad if you suddenly find your residence to have been reset. But I think it gets even worse if someone else suddenly owns it "because".

Most of all I can't help worry that this ignores one important thing: those resets happen because the server is running out of free space. An auction would seriously postpone the reset, which could increase the risk of actually running fully out of space.
    607 and ChespinLover77 like this.
  3. Yes. With all its contents.

After all other already accepted ways have been tried/expired. Which is why I started the suggestion with "When residences are scheduled for reset".

-BZ-
  4. -1 the derelict system is setup so if a pmayer comes back, they have a chance to get their stuff back...
    ChespinLover77 likes this.
  5. I like it :) at least everything does not go to waist
    FadedMartian and Bravo_Zulu like this.
  6. Various forms of this idea have come and gone in the past, and they have been denied every time. -1 from me.
    ChespinLover77 likes this.
  7. I have read messages where returning players stated they have to start over because their residence was reset. Point being, apparently residences are not kept indefinitely. So, should the time come to reset a residence, again, after all currently accepted methods have been exhausted . . . Auction it off to be stripped.

-BZ-
  8. So what is the difference from a player coming back to see their res was reset or auctioned off ? The only difference is a peeved off player who knows who has their stuff vs A peeved off player that can't blame, hound and harass another player to give them their stuff back. They can hound staff but there is nothing that can be done.. I don't know about you but I wouldn't want to come back and find someone else has my dragon egg. I'd much rather see it deleted than another player profiting off my hard work gaining such an item.
    FadedMartian, 607 and ChespinLover77 like this.
  9. . . . I guess we are opposites in that regard.