Status Update: EMC Lag

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Aikar, Jan 10, 2014.

1. They don't seem to be working for me.... Still getting way more regular mobs than witches.:( I'm a sad panda if witch huts are not going to be fixed also.
  2. No ? It doesnt work. Im standing right next to a previous working hut right now. Ive also tried new generated huts. So if they "found out it works" they must be playing some old singleplayer world :)
  3. What do you propose they do? Its not as simple as "fix it".
  4. An idea I had was to sell wood slabs in the /shop (if i recall there where slabs that have a different item id than normal ones) and limit spawning only witches on the slabs with that item id? If that's even possible.
  5. Didnt say it was easy. I simply asked if they had given up? So that some of us that had plans for huts can move on to other stuff
  6. To be honest, I'm not sure we can get them perfectly restored.

I was general thinking to increase spawn rates of witches in witch hut like areas, but trying to exclude other mobs too...

I have to be careful to not cause lag with this, which is why im hesistent on this. Worse thing we could do is cause lag for everyone else just to fix witch farms...

considering the risk here, I have pushed witch huts to be a little lower priority, and looking to get other bug fixes and features out first, and likely Dragon tombs out first.

Going to be very blunt here, but we need to keep the majority entertained before spending too much time on farms that people simply afk at.

So yes you should put new witch huts on hold for now.

As for NEW chunks problems... I can't think of any reason new 1.7 chunks aren't spawning with correct logic. You may want to check single player behavior... Mojang may have changed it so that its not 100% witches now.

With the level of rewrites 1.7 had, it is possible mobs will spawn in huts now.
    battmeghs and jkjkjk182 like this.
  7. And for a more technical reasoning: The Mob spawn code runs A LOT...

Doing checks on block types will add a lot of processing requirements (lag) on top of what the mob spawn system already does...

Ideally, I need to completely replace the mob spawn system with our own version (with the intent to match vanilla logic as close as possible) that will be more performant and better than Vanilla.

but were talking about a sizable update here... We don't want to push everything else back yet again simply for witch huts afk farms.

Also, 1.8 is going to sneak up on us soon... so I really want to finally make some head room with dragon tombs before that hits.
    battmeghs and jkjkjk182 like this.
  8. also, back the threads original subject. I've made some more determinations on lag.

Having animals clustered with each other where they can not move will cause extreme lag. A single residence with 100 animals clustered into 1 block is enough to bring the server down. Please ensure your animals have plenty of moving room and are not constantly touching each other (ie 1x1 pins)

I am going to try to write some code tonight to lessen the lag doing this causes.

But there is some seperate issue I haven't figured out yet that appears to be the main culprit for SMP7, that I also need to add different debug code to diagnose furthur.
    I'm going to really push on Max to not ask to go out tonight so I can get some work done...
    mba2012, battmeghs, jkjkjk182 and 3 others like this.
  9. Yeah Smp7 is bad.. It only lags on Smp7 for me but on all the other servers it's fine. A couple of days ago I couldn't play on 7 at all it was that bad :( hope it gets fixed soon :D
  10. We are several supporters that are concerned about giving current bugs lower priorities, as we need the current functions to work properly before get pushed on new features.
    We need consistency in our game play, that it is predictable and our investment in this server is being taken seriously.
    And hopefully that the time spent building structures, afk-farms or not, will continue to work as expected, as long as mojang intend it to, more or less.
  11. Something I've found with my animals, sheep in particular, is that no matter how large of a pen I give them, they always all end up getting stuck in one of the corners of the pens. I would assume this would cause the lag described above. Anyone know if this is fixable or if it's some kind of bug? I'd guess that this is happening to more than just me, so might that be a major cause for the lag? This isn't new either, this has been happening for months.
    2014-01-16_08.05.30.png 2014-01-16_08.04.58.png
    cadgamer101, LadBlo and Gadget_AD like this.
  12. Totally agree
    Gadget_AD likes this.
  13. Putting water in the corner should keep them from wanting to get stuck there.
  14. I'm aware of that, and now that I realize it can cause lag I'll get around to switching. It's never really been inconvenient so I haven't bothered. But, that's not going to fix that root problem, since most people using fences to contain animals won't realize it's a problem.
  15. Well sheep need grass to grow back their wool so water doesn't work too well. I suggest making a few pens so you don't have as many sheep colliding
  16. I really wish there was a quick fix... But there is pretty much no way to restore old witch hut behavior beyond studying the 1.6 code and trying to merge it into 1.7 which would take over a month.

It's just not feasible. The other option is to simply reset the Frontier... but that def cant happen.

I understand lots of people have structures they built that do not work, but this was out of my control. It's not something I could of controlled. If I could easily change how Mojang does structures I Would have... but I simply cant. This break was not due to any decision of mine. Large servers like ours can not use the structure saving feature or the game would be unplayable with lag. They really screwed up with this.

Mojang designs this game for single player, and has no care how broken multi-player is.
    battmeghs likes this.
  17. Wow... That is weird :confused:. Can you try removing the fence to see if they break apart?
  18. Animals tend to do that in NW corners when fence is used. Try using blocks in those corners:
    2014-01-16_08.22.11.jpg

Should solve your issue. And no, they won't gather there and suffocate.
  19. I really don't see why people should get fixes for witch farms.
    I don't like auto farms because they're pretty much laggy nusiances for lazy people that ruin the economy.
    battmeghs likes this.