Star Wars Battlefront/Battlefront II discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by PetezzaDawg, Jun 10, 2017.

?

Do you play battlefront and/or are you going to buy Battlefront II?

Yes 7 vote(s) 43.8%
No 9 vote(s) 56.3%
  1. I mean, I'm not. I want them completely gone. Putting them back in, even after they've 'made changes', is not what I want. It's not what the army of people who are making EA's stock plummet and making them lose their minds want.

Believe it or not, it's most likely complete BS. EA have lied plenty of times before, and they openly admit to being anti-consumer. Their 'fix' will be more of the same thing people have decided to boycott Star Wars Battlefront 2 for.

They'll turn them back on just before Christmas, so when people get the game for Christmas, they'll spend money on the microtransactions. They're banking on the fact that people will view this controversy as something small by that point and not care. Hell, I'm willing to bet that they only said it because it's launch day and they want people to buy their game so they don't look awful.

That line was vague. It was intentionally left vague. It's not good enough.

I've got to hand it to them, they've improved immensely on the vagueness front since yesterday when they said "once we've taken your money".

I'll wait until I see what these supposed changes actually are until I buy the game. Until then, I'll continue laughing at the upwards $6 million EA are potentially losing out on.
    neonkillah and 607 like this.
  2. They also said when they were doing a reddit AMA that they knew people didn't want lootboxes to be so central to progression and would look into changing it.

I don't like EA, at all. I like star wars and I like shooters. This is just the only available option with a multi player that actually works at the moment. We can only hope that Lucasfilm decides that they don't want such a horrible name associated with their franchise and give the rights to future games to new developers.
  3. I have no doubt the developers don't like this. I've always enjoyed DICE, and I think they're a great developer, especially their LA studio - its denied EA's demands to make developers stay in work 24/7 during crunch time, as well as constantly disagreeing with EA's decisions. They also seem to genuinely love Star Wars and put a lot of care into the gameplay and capturing the feel of the franchise (we'll just ignore Battlefront 2's awful single player, especially because it wasn't made by DICE) in this game, and it really is a shame that their work has been crapped on by EA.

However, EA are EA. They're not going to let the developers remove the microtransactions, because they want more money, and they want to show they're constantly becoming more and more profitable.

I'll believe the removal/defocusing of lootboxes when I see it. I'll also like to see what they'll do to the progression system, because as it stands the progression system is absolute crap and is more based around how long you play the game for rather than actual skill. Battlefront and Battlefield 1 had it the same way, so they've been moving in this direction since at least 2015.

Until then, I'll avoid it. Microtransactions in games have to go and I'll continue to boycott whatever games have them included.
    607 likes this.