Star Wars Battlefront/Battlefront II discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by PetezzaDawg, Jun 10, 2017.

?

Do you play battlefront and/or are you going to buy Battlefront II?

Yes 7 vote(s) 43.8%
No 9 vote(s) 56.3%
  1. Hey EMC, so with Star Wars battlefront II launching this November and the first gameplay trailer and livestreams happening today, I thought I'd make a thread for those of you who play the original and are interested in the sequel to discuss the game, anything from your current weapon loadouts to speculations/things you'd like to see in Battlefront II. Just as a recap on what's been announced thusfar for battlefront II,

• All 3 Star wars eras will be playable (clone wars, original and new trilogies)
    • A single player campaign focused on the Empire's elite special forces team, Inferno Squad
    • A class system: You won't be able to have completely customisable star card hands anymore, certain abilities will be locked to certain classes.
    • Weapons and heroes will be upgradeable
    • There will be no season pass, instead something called seasons, not much is known about this though, at least as far as I could find
    • There will be 3x the content at launch
    • Pre orders will get early access to a beta version of the game in Fall
    • Space battles are said to be much better this time around
    That's about all I can think of, so if you wish to discuss your thoughts on Battlefront/Battlefront II, post it here!
  2. Definitely sounds like it could be an absolutely massive improvement over whatever the Hell that cash grab of an original was.

I grew up on Battlefront 2 as a child, and when I heard they were making a remake of the series I got excited. Then it came out, and it had less features than the game that came ten years before it and was 100% less entertaining. Weapon balancing was awful, since lasers could shoot an infinite amount of times (you also had an infinite amount of grenades?) and at such a rate you'd often kill your opponent at the exact same time they killed you. The levelling up was also abysmal. Map design was beyond crap and the amount of them was so low it's stupid. I played maybe 3 hours of it before giving up.

Really upsetting that DICE, the absolute perfect people for the job, cut out space battles too.

The only thing I can give it credit for is the graphics and the sound effects.

Seems like this new one may have addressed my grievances. We'll see.
    PetezzaDawg likes this.
  3. I see where you're coming from with infinite grenades, but battlefront isn't meant to be a complex shooter, so having people have to go and reload at a base in 15 minute rounds isn't really feasible.
  4. Actually, my point about the infinite ammunition is moot. My problem with it is that there's no balancing - the original Battlefront 2 had weapon overheating and you'd need a cool down period of a few seconds. DICE's Battlefront has no such thing, which is what leads to the dying at the same time as the person you're shooting at.
  5. There is a cooldown..? I don't know how you never noticed it but there is, if you shoot your weapon too much without giving it a rest it overheats.
  6. I don't get how it's a cash grab if nothing is locked behind a paywall.
  7. Nobody wants to invest 40 hours unlocking a character, which adds up to hundreds of hours of grinding for each one. The alternative, paying real life money to unlock something that should be in the game you just paid for, is far easier to do, and they're giving you an incentive to go this route. That's grabbing for cash, and it doesn't matter if the characters aren't locked behind a paywall.

As the Telegraph review of the game says, "Battlefront 2 seems adamant to disregard the value of players’ time, demanding a huge amount of commitment for rewards that feel wholly insignificant for the investment required to earn them."

Unlocking characters after accumulating enough points makes sense. But forty hours for a single one? No. The ability to pay to unlock them? Again, no.

The loot boxes thing preys on people's addictive tendencies in the exact same way as gambling (which it essentially is). On top of that, it makes the game pay to win. Screw loot boxes.

It's just leeching.
  8. They just slashed the characters in question's prices by 75%, because people were complaing about that.
    Edit: Prices as in in game money prices.
    synth_apparition likes this.
  9. And the outrage is because people don't want them at all. It still takes way too long to earn that amount of credits.

Until they're fully removed, people - myself included - aren't satisfied.
  10. It doesn't though... I've seen people livestream the game for a normal amount of time to unlock a new character in a game and being able to do it.
  11. Maybe.

All's I've heard is that it still takes close to 100 multiplayer matches to earn the necessary credits, the microtransactions are still there, and itsstill designed so you'd rather just pay.

Also that they've reduced rewards alongside and have a 14 hour lock on earning credits on the same mode after completing 5 challenges. http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

They turned it into Candy Crush lol
    607 and NuclearBobomb like this.
  12. The arcade mode lock is because they're easy AI. You shouldn't be able to just farm IGM against AI to get credits to spend on better gear for the multi player. EDIT: Regarding something else this review said about the reward for the campaign being slashed from 20,000 to 5,000 credits, that's because the point of getting 20k credits was to unlock the main character of the campaign as a playable hero in multiplayer, which used to cost 20,000, but now costs 5,000. Maybe if they didn't give you credits and just gave you the hero for completing the campaign that'd be a better system, no one could really be unhappy then, aside from those who dislike single player campagins.
  13. You shouldn't be able to buy credits or lootboxes for money just to get better gear for the multiplayer either. When someone gets this cool down, they're gonna think 'oh well I can just buy more!'.

The arcade lock is just them incorporating 'wait to play' from mobile games into a console game. They've already took loot boxes from mobiles, now they're just doing it with this.
    607 likes this.
  14. I see your point with that, but I still maintain my opinion there should be a cooldown even if there were no lootboxes. The unfortunate thing is that even if there was some good hearted exectutive at EA who gets to call the shots and decides to put just cometics in the lootboxes, it wouldn't work. Lucasfilm controls every aspect of the look of this game and wouldn't allow any stormtroopers with markings that don't conform to the canon star wars universe :(
  15. Aye, I agree with that - or just remove all trace of them whatsoever.

I don't even mind the whole unlocking stuff part. It's the fact that it takes over 4,000 hours to get everything, or you can alternatively pay an extra £2000 on the £60 (which is way too much for a game anyway) to remove the grind.

Crappy business practices killed this game for me.
  16. Most games are £60 these days actually, at least in Ireland. (66 euro)
  17. AAA games are usually around £40 here. It's still too much for what they end up being (for me at least). I get more enjoyment and playtime out of games that cost £5 - £20 that are usually made by tiny teams. The only expensive game I can see myself playing ATM is Wolfenstein 2.

And then there's DLC on top of that. Like, the Sims 3 for example was like £35 when I bought it, but the base game is lacking in content and it costs thousands for all the DLC. Even if you just bought the expansions (back then, no idea if they've cut prices) it'd cost a few hundred. I don't think it's any surprise that piracy on these games is so high.

What this industry has become makes me sad sometimes.
    607, TomvanWijnen and PetezzaDawg like this.
  18. TomvanWijnen likes this.
  19. neonkillah, 607, PetezzaDawg and 3 others like this.