Seeking guidance on constructions of residence farms

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by EasyShop, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Hello fellow Empire members

After a long break I've decided to rejoin the community and start playing on the servers.
    It took me some time to think about what I wanted to create and spend time making, and I finally decided to create some kind of fully automatic farm on my lot.

I've planed to fill my 60x60 lot with all the different kinds of farmables possible that is fully automatic exclusively in town, and making a sorting system to designated chests with bulk buying options for other shops, kinda like a distributor.

My question to you is what is the items that can be farmed this way? (afk farms).
    I know wheat, carrot, melon, pumpkin is a possibility, but what else?

Further more I would like to know if there are any restrictions regarding making big farms, like a maximum number of villagers, hoppers, redstone and anything in that regard. My reason for asking this question is that I would imagine that mega farms alike would be a huge strain on the server?

And finally is there anything else I should take in consideration before building this?
    ShelLuser and FoxyRavenger like this.
  2. There are iron, gold, prismarine, courus flower, and cobble farms (with use of a wither). Those are the farms that aren't listed on your list. These farms other than the course flower need to be built out in the frontier. Town doesn't have natural spawning capabilities, unlike the frontier.

As for restrictions of sizes of large farms, it comes down to the mob cap. I don't remember what that mob cap is...
    JoxBax likes this.
  3. One of the biggest reason for me quitting last time was because of someone griefing one of my bigger contraptions in the wilderness, that is why this time I'll keep my builds nice and secure in the protected area.

So wheat, carrot, melon and pumpkin is the only fully automatic farms that can be build in a lot?
  4. The Beautiful thing that was added about a year ago was anti-grief and /buildmode. All the blocks you place are protected in the frontier. But as you said wheat, carrot, melon, pumpkin, and chorus flowers you can do with ease in town.
  5. The ones you can do:
    Wheat (and bread), carrot, potato, beatroot, melon, pumpkin, suggercane and chres fruit/flowers. to properly farm Chores fruit you need some 0-tick mechanics (otherwise you'll end up wasting some flowers and using way too much space)
    If you are planning ond oing this on a full ras scale, I want to advice you to make everything as lagg0friendly as possible. the server is just moved to a new location, and it would be terrible if we would get terrible tps again... If you don't know what is and isn't laggfriendly, I might be able to explain that fully if you want to. basiccally: use the newest redstone blocks, and try to use as little as possible redstone dust.
  6. Most of your questions were answered but I'm missing out on one thing...

Every residence has a maximum amount of mobs which it can hold. On a regular SMP that's 100 mobs, on Utopia it's larger (150 - 200, not sure from mind).

You can use the /entc command to check for the current limits.

As to the limits: there aren't that many. Also because several changes were made to vanilla behavior to counter some of the lag issues. Such as hoppers which are a little bit slower than in vanilla.

But I do suggest that you also consider using the Frontier so that you can go all out so to speak (using mobs which don't spawn in town). As already mentioned Anti grief has been added to the server not too long ago and it can seriously help you to protect your buildings, follow the link for the full explanation.

The best part is that some special blocks are always protected, no matter where you place them. It's (partly) because of that that I started making some small utility builds in the wastelands. As you know the wastelands are for mining, and there are plenty of (newer) players who don't realize that player builds are to be left alone, even in the waste.

Well... Let's just say that if you want to test anti griefing you need a waste build :D

So far I've had only 1 incident, but that was only because I (falsely) assumed that glowstone and magma would be auto protected. A glass block fixed that.

If I can make buildings which can withstand a horde of miners, then I'm pretty sure you should be able to do the same in the Frontier :)

Maybe food for thought?