Safest Way to tunnel in the nether?

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by Sadie_dog, Jan 9, 2018.

1. I've got two outposts on six and I plan to plant one on eight soon. However, as may be typical, they are far far far from the nearest spawn so I hope to do it via nether tunneling.

10 hrs after i start I'd already lost five wings and good armor many times because my tunnel is more like Indiana Jones running from ghasts over lava, and I can't get it safe because, well, ghasts really love to shoot you when you sit still too long, and they seem to spawn quite frequently.

So I began fire res, an addiction of sorts- I mean, i had 30 DCs to waste, why not?

"You fell from a height" because lava isn't thick enough.

I'm at a standstill and pretty ticked off because I just died a few minutes ago from this.

Anyone got ideas on how the heck to NOT die?
    JesusPower2 likes this.
  2. if you can build your tunnel near the bottom bedrock and keep fire protection potions on you and food that's what i do.
  3. I would suggest going in a wild outpost to be further out when you use a portal to the nether then going to nether spawn. Plus then there is less broken area's.
    I would then suggest going at the highest part and using 8 min long fire pots while digging.

This more or less shows for a shorter time and safer digging with your valuables in an enderchest and just picks, food, and pots in your inv with an enderchest and some blocks to block lava flow.

Hope this helps.

I have dug a ton of rails in the nether and some that goes to 50k out in the nether.
    Tuqueque, NDubb424 and JesusPower2 like this.
  4. Is there a way to calibrate the portal to go to a higher or lower y but remain in the same area in the overworld?
  5. Sending you a pm. :D
  6. Connecting portals are easy! For every 1 block in the nether, it is 7 in the overworld. Simply just multiply your x and z cords if your portal is in the nether and that is where your portal should go :)

If you are in the overworld, you must divide by 7. I would get your handy dandy calculator to help you out figuring your cords :p

To answer your question, Y cord does not matter unless you are doing a weird setup with nether portals on top of each other
    JesusPower2 likes this.
  7. I already had portals activated, that's the thing
  8. By the way I posted it here for the poor people that have to do this a lot... and experience this
  9. Generally, Minecraft doesn't sync them automatically. I would check to be sure.
  10. A portal will try to connect to the nearest exit. So you can destroy the portal on one side and move it, and as long as you're still reasonably close it will reconnect.

Also, portals can be one-way, so it can be tricky if you have three or more portals in an area.
    NDubb424 likes this.
  11. top of the nether in a 2wide 4 high with 1 line of packed ice across the bottom is the best way in my opinion because you only need 1 line of packed ice for a iceboat rail that can cut your journey time to 1/4th of the time. the extra 3 blocks in hight allows for you to use horses those can be very fast on ice.

for the portals put them at the top of the nether and for the entrance put the portal at work hight in the over world make sure to divide by 8 to get the proper coords
  12. I would only add, don't be so close to the block you are breaking that if it does create a lava flow from above or open a hole to a lava pool you don't get burned.
    Mr_Insanitity likes this.
  13. Loving this thread already! A very good question if you ask me.

Now, I'm not an expert on this because so far I've only build 1 nether portal (oops: tunnel! :oops:) myself and helped maintaining a few others which still makes me somewhat of a nether tunnel newbie as far as I'm concerned. However... I have visited tons of other tunnels (thanks to the general hospitality of the EMC community) and well... Maybe this can help.

First it's important to determine where your entrance is going to be. I'm personally much in favor of using the nether as your main entrance instead of relying on a nether portal 'somewhere close' within the overworld to gain access. The problem is safety. A nether portal will automatically connect to "another" portal when activated, and the only guide here is that this "other" portal can be within 128 blocks of yours.

Meaning: if you set up a nether portal close to spawn and then use that to gain access to your nether tunnel then chances are quite high that as soon as another player gets the same idea and builds their nether portal close by then they won't be teleporting to their location but instead to yours.

And that problem can manifest itself in multiple ways: because if they're starting in the nether, then building a portal there this will most likely teleport them to your place in the overworld. So far, so good, there's nothing wrong with sharing such an entrance I think. The problem though is that theoretically this can also start working the other way around. This wiki page is a must read in my opinion.

See: you don't "link" a nether portal. What basically happens is that the system will check for a portal on "the other side" every single time you use it. So it's very well possible that your hidden nether tunnel can become easily exposed because someone tried to build their own portal and their own nether tunnel but instead ended up in yours. Or the other way around: instead of landing you in your nether tunnel you could easily find yourself suddenly appear in someone elses tunnel.

And the area around the Frontier outposts is basically a free for all. So there's no "land claiming" there (sort off!).

So my suggestion is to build in the nether and also stay in the nether. It's much safer I think. Try to find a good way to and from the outpost (read: the protected area) and after a few tries that should be easily remembered.

What you could consider doing is building a piston door to hide your tunnel. Because although you may not be able to lock a chest too close to the Frontier spawn, you're still very much capable of using /buildmode. Effectively allowing you to build a small entrance point (I suggest not to make things too big on the outpost end) which can be nicely hidden as well as protected against griefing (note: it doesn't even have to be intentional, players could simply be trying to build something of their own!).

As for the tunnel itself...

Slabs are your friend. You could consider making it a one way (single rail), double rail (so players can go back and forth without bothering each other) but whatever you do: be sure to use slabs if you're also leaving a small walking area open. Because if you place a slab "half way" (so: right on top of another block for example) then this will create an area where mobs (mostly zombie pigman) simply can't spawn. Leaving your tunnel free of possible random obstacles. You can easily test this behavior yourself by trying to place a block on top of the slab. If the block suddenly hovers in mid-air (leaving an opening between the ground) then you know you got it right.

If you do make a double rails then maybe this could be a tip. A friend of mine showed me this trick and I think it's quite useful (I can't easily go there right now, but I'll briefly show you how it works):

Bit of a quick hack, but I hope you get the idea...

See: the arrival has an arch right into a dead end (usually a wall). This can make sure that any visitors will always use the right track (some pun intended there), because if they try to use the wrong side they'll end up stuck.

Another problem: carts, or re-using them. I'm really in favor of this system I devised (note: it was fully inspired by Kevmeup who used a smaller version of this system in his / our outpost on SMP4):

It doesn't look nice, that's because I quickly build this to demonstrate....

SO: there are several hoppers which go into a dropper which is placed with its opening upwards (it's underneath the dispenser you see there). So going into that dispenser there. The cactus is normally dangerous, but thanks to the slab on top it can't grow any further and you also can't touch it if you try to run into it (try it out). However: your minecarts can still touch this and as a result they'll drop themselves as an item, quickly sucked up by the hopper before it can get destroyed by the cactus.

The hopper feeds it into the dropper and the dropper does nothing. Until you press the button. This will activate the redstone speck underneath the button and that thing does something really interesting: it activates both the dispenser and the dropper.

The dispenser will place the minecart on top of the rails, ready for you to hop in and get moving, while the dropper will place any picked up minecarts right back into the dispenser again: ready for future use.

With this system you don't have to worry too much about minecarts getting lost or people forgetting to bring one because everything is automated.

Note: if you're short on Minecarts then it is possible that a cart isn't immediately placed. So: you press the button while the dispenser was empty, in that case the only thing which happens is that a cart will be pushed into the dispenser, but that's it. So you'd have to push the button again to actually make it dispense the cart.

Finally... Keep in mind that rails is a protected block, see here. So don't worry if you started building and suddenly realize that you forgot to use /buildmode. Also: the block below the rails will also be automatically protected, so you should be fully safe.

SO yeah.. That's roughly my idea on this. Hope this can help you out a bit.
    NDubb424 likes this.
  14. Ah, I've already got a portal lit in the nether from the overworld, but I will be trying to force another once I rip out those said portals. Shel, thanks.
  15. I would recommend building a railroad for minecarts and/or packed ice road for boats right below the top bedrock. It's the safest place in the nether and the fastest way to travel.
    jossytheninja likes this.
  16. If you're serious about getting the best out of minecraft, read the official wiki.
    https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/The_Nether

1 nether = 8 overworld blocks

Being close to bedrock at top or bottom is best. There is only netherrack at those levels with the occasional single lava pocket. So stick to below 10 or above 120 and all you will mine is netherrack

Items needed:
    Fire Resist Potions - put at least one in your hotbar and change it out when used.
    Fire Prot IV armor - all pieces. This will give you a good few minutes of protection but the armor gets damaged. As you are wearing this you have plenty of time to remove the lava block or drink the fire resist potion.
    Speed potions
    Eff V picks. Instabreak netherrack.
    Shulker boxes, chests and ender chests- for grabbing the netherrack later on

Best way to mine is to put your fire prot armor on, drink a speed potion and run like the wind while mining with your eff V pick. Ignore the rack you have mined until you come back. Run, Sadie, run! And just mine all the way only stopping to change picks or drink another speed potion.

If you use Inventory Tweaks it can be set to automatically replace your pick when it is on 1 point of durability left. This has saved so many picks from being destroyed.

If you hit a lava pocket, DON'T PANIC! STAY CALM AND DRINK! the fire resist potion. Or if it is just as easy, place a block in the lava source. If you have to, STOP! and remove your hands from the mouse and keyboard. Just stop and take 5 seconds to think what to do. If you have the full fire prot armor you have plenty of time.

If you can, go stand in lava before you start so you get used to how long you have. Don't let the armor die.

So that netherrack you mined? Once the chunk unloads it can sit there for years. BigDavie found some in his tunnel that was dug 4 years earlier. My 12k double tunnel was the same, I was picking up the rack for days after digging it. This was before shulkers so I just had chests and loaded them up as I walked back laying rail. Then as I continued I would fill the ender chest I carried and load up chest minecarts as I went. It's way easier with shulkers now.

If you are getting a lot of glitched blocks then its probably best to go to an eff IV or even lower pick and either don't use speed or just speed I instead of speed II. This will depend on your system and internet.

Also, if you have to go to an eff II pick then I recommend getting hold of a diamond voters pick and just going slower. The advantage here is you can collect the rack as you go and the tool is indestructible. You could also go without the potions or armor in this case and only have the pick on you. If you die, no biggie, just a long run back (collecting the rack again).
    We3_MPO likes this.
  17. I love how people are now restating other posts but adding to it :p
    Thank you, Baradar, for your extra input.
    Baradar67 and We3_MPO like this.