Rioters in Baltimore

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Valkadyn_, Apr 27, 2015.

1. For some reason I want really bad to hate this post but it really really makes sense. Why do you do that?
    bitemenow15 likes this.
  2. cause im just likeable despite how grumpy i am, idk why
    Gawadrolt and jkjkjk182 like this.
  3. no no, I don't think I LIKE you but do respect the fact that you can think critically. XP
  4. is it too far for police to kill innocent african american people? sorry that because of race one can beat the other and its okay.
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  5. That is because crime is an economic activity and the poorer you are, the more beneficial it is. Crime is rare in wealthy or middle-class areas because it is just not worth it.
    The youth are the only way that this problem can be solved. It sure as heck can't be solved by laws or handout money, these people need to work together and become a productive community. Racial separation is largely due to how the culture they created works. In general impoverished people group together, and then that group creates even more subdivisions. This is just normal cultural separation. Obviously the individuals cannot decide what value certain land holds, and thus cannot move anywhere they want, but in general the cultures gain more members than they lose. The distinguished members of these communities rarely stay. They have witnessed many years of desperate conditions, why would they want to bring their own family up in terrible conditions and low income? These well-educated people move to areas where they can get good jobs and live safely. The problem is that so many people from these trouble areas just give up, or never try to begin with. They are very much influenced by the adults in their communities, so much so that they become the same as them. It is a cyclical problem, and the only solution is for the entire community to decide to change. Until then, there will be rampant crime, and there will be rampant poverty.

These people are desperate. Desperate people will do anything to be heard, hence why they are rioting. Desperate people will also lie. I think the "excessive police" issue is far overstated. Of course, there are going to be many cases of it. This is true of anything in large groups of people. But it is not a systematic issue. Impoverished people commit more crimes, thus there is a higher chance that they will run into the occasional bad cop. Because minorities are more likely to be poor, and thus more likely to run into the bad cops, people like to paint this like it is a systematical race issue. It is an economical issue combined with local cultures. Plenty of non-minorities are treated just like minorities when they commit crimes, you just never hear about it because it is not as interesting and is less instigating.
  6. I understand your comment wasn't addressed at what I'm about to bring up but it seemed ironic when my friend JUST told me this:

National guard and SWAT have been all over Baltimore today. I'm sure these people feel heard. edit: sarcasm, of course.

I don't know if anyone has noticed that I have not, until now, taken the bait on the "race" baiting. The more you talk about it, the more you will see that as the problem. To argue that there isn't racism within the US, especially within police forces can quickly be countered by factual evidence but it only plays to incite the issue further.

Why not instead of looking at the color of these peoples skin, listen to what they are saying?
  7. I live about an hour & 15 minutes from Baltimore. I have 2 friends who live there. A few facts that seem to have escaped infotainment's ratings grab.

• Thousands of people protested peacefully for days.
    • As of last night, 35 people were arrested. Less than a hundred participated in criminal and destructive acts.
    • Many (I don't have a number, but guessing off the pics and what Allison said, a 100+) people from these communities went out late last night and this morning to clean up the mess.
    • Peaceful protesters interposed themselves bodily between the police and the young hotheads to protect the police at one point.

I could go on. There was a larger "riot" in Philly when the Phillies went to the World Series in 2008.

Maybe it will continue to escalate since the media finally deigned to cover the protests. Some hold the belief that any press is good press. :(

I don't know what it's like to fear for my safety when a police officer approaches me. I am not a black man.
    I don't know what it's like to fear for my safety when I'm doing my job. I am not a police officer.
    I do know that fear begets fear and hate begets hate. These two groups have a long bad history of both. They have become each other's bogeyman. They need to become human to each other again to even start a dialogue. The crimes committed by both against the other are real. Trying to choose "sides" is insane. There are NO sides here. There are only tragedies. Those tragedies will very sadly and horribly continue as they have for decades.

No one is mediating. No one is giving national news coverage; it's all cash grab infotainment and sensationalized. No one is trying to stay unbiased and start a dialogue between these groups on a national level.

The biggest troll on the internet is the media. Fuel on a fire. :(
    ChumMiner, MrsWishes, Pab10S and 3 others like this.
  8. There was little to no police intervention other than keeping protesters away from certain areas, until some of them started getting violent. I would consider the showing of force necessary at this point. Had it come in prior to the protests, I could see it as excessive.
    I have seen the data numerous times and have weighed it with proportions. When you adjust things to account for income, you find that it all matches up surprisingly well for crime, much better than matching by race.

I am not looking at race, I am attempting to debunk the idea that this is overall a racial issue while acknowledging that it is easy to see it as one. Correlation does not equal causation.

Actions speak louder than words. Unfortunately, the actions of a "small" group have marred the overall message. But from what I have seen of the actual protests, I still don't agree with what has been said.
    Pab10S and khixan like this.
  9. Oh, I get you now. Yeah, I agree. This world is slowly dying out
    ww2fan168 likes this.
  10. "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein
  11. Regarding race vs poverty: Watch as many episodes of Cops as you want. You won't see many rich people getting arrested.

Either way, it will never be as simple as race or poverty. Demographics, law, economics, power, history... I think anyone who accepts a simple answer to something like this is a bit simple themselves (if you know what I mean).

I saw this article this morning with teacher and parent accounts of what happened: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/04/how-baltimore-riots-began-mondawmin-purge

Having police out in force in order to proactively respond to the "purge" rumor makes some sense to me. It seems like anyone planning trouble would have seen them and decided to go home instead.

On the other hand, not allowing kids to go home on the buses or subway makes little sense to me. They took away these kids' ability, regardless of their intentions, to travel. Then they were breaking up the groups as they formed afterwards so they had a crowd of scared people milling around. Most of them were likely trying to figure out how to get home and instead were put in what would be a rather frightening situation by an armed and organized group of people who they have very little reason to trust.

If any of you have ever been in a large crowd, frightened or not, you know that it has the collective intelligence of a herd of cows. Our police forces have been arming and training like they expect a zombie apocalypse since 2001 and are now pretty regularly making lethal mistakes with people. I'm not surprised this happened although I am surprised it wasn't worse. As cynical as it may sound I expect these sort of clashes to continue to happen as long as conditions remain the same.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  12. The guy shouldn't have gotten a spinal cord injury, but that doesn't mean that you get to run around hurting officers and burning down your own city.
  13. Yeah I live in Anne Arundel County, so we had shelter in place drills :p 30 min away from baltimore lol

It was a bit ridiculous honestly. Not like the riots are coming down here.

And this thing:
  14. Watching the live feed yesterday was pretty sad. I saw a kid who must have been at most 5 years old throw a rock at a police officer. It's really bad way to bring these kids up thinking that the police are not to be respected and that they need to rebel in a violent way. Teaching the future generation that rioting is ok will cause the same problem if not worse to occur again.

Every parent that has a son/daughter rioting should follow in her footsteps.
  15. I know Jesus is coming though, this is prophesied. Lawlessness.
    boozle628 likes this.
  16. I know enough History, thx very much. And English btw
    It's common sense. Even if my best friend was shot by a cop I wouldn't just turn around and blame it on the cop if my friend was doing something wrong.
  17. except the guy that was arrested wasnt doing anything wrong he was in possession of a switchblade thats the charge against him that they had to take him down to the station for. if you best friend was walking down the street tackled and then killed because he had a pocketknife in his pocket you wouldnt blame that on the cop? please excuse me if im less then inclined to call you my friend if thats the case