Restore redstone/hopper timings and item grouping mechanics to vanilla

Discussion in 'The Suggestion Box' started by Cybotjr, Apr 9, 2024.

1. Hello devs,

It is my understanding that hoppers etc have been improved across the versions of minecraft. I am wondering if we can revisit the modifications made to hoppers and any other redstone timings that may have been made and see if they are viable on the server.

In addition, I am not knowledgeable of the performance improvements of item grouping, but that causes items to skip hoppers in item streams, which necessitates hopper chains instead of significantly fewer hoppers needed when transporting items via streams.

Thank you for your time and the great server,

Cybotjr
    Joy_the_Miner and PetezzaDawg like this.
  2. I'm under the impression that items in water streams being missed isn't caused by the item grouping, but rather that on EMC hoppers check for item entities far less frequently than vanilla. In vanilla I believe every hopper is checking every tick (or close to that) for if it can suck up any items, which is what adds up to so much lag with a lot of hoppers (or checking inventory slots in containers above them). So the frequency that hoppers check of entities is drastically reduced, others would be more knowledgeable on the specific numbers for that.
    Items grouping together is just something that bukkit/spigot/paper does, so pretty much all non vanilla servers have that. In it's self it doesn't effect the speed that hoppers will pick things up, but it does mean that full stacks may accumulate and not allow the hoppers to catch up. I.e. in a sorter, items are being dispensed into water at hopper speed, but the sorter slices have to wait for a full stack before they stop sticking at the dropper, so part of the stack is missed when the hopper gets filled.

I would be all for revising the hopper changes, as it does make redstone particularly special on EMC, but I doubt the lag reduction is minimal enough to get rid of it.
    Cybotjr likes this.
  3. I had this issue as well and when using water streams to sort items, I just made that stream a loop as that eventually all the items would make it in the hoppers.
    Raaynn and Cybotjr like this.
  4. ThaKloned, how did you handle non-stackables, overflow and items not filtered?
  5. There are ways to filter unstackables. One example is using a brewing stand for potions. The issue with unstackables filtering is they often take up a lot more space but the end result (if you have the room) is well worth it. You could really go crazy and use alleys to sort almost everything. Check out some youtube videos. I use the potion sorter at one of my bases and works perfectly. Very little redstone needed.
    Cybotjr likes this.
  6. In general I'd say that water based sorters just aren't reliable enough to be worth it, just use hopper chain sorters. If you want remnants to be in a water stream just dispense them again at the end. Others may have solutions to the contrary, that's just my two cents :p
    Cybotjr, Fred_TWK and ThaKloned like this.
  7. You're not wrong :D
  8. That would be a loooooooooot of hoppers, especially since i'm trying to sort most items. I think redispensing items may make sense.
  9. 1 word alays u need to put 4 in a row to sord 1 item out of my understanding thats not
    like limited by hopper speed
  10. I got rid of water streams, even without ice they were still too fast, items would need to make the trip around the storage area many many times and likely despawn without intervention. Still sad about the hoppers =/. Bulk storage with an automatic shulker loader works, but it's prone to losing full shulkers if the locked hopper isn't unlocked for long enough, or if the box flies to the side. The normal speed of hoppers would pick up almost immediately, before the shulker even hits the ground, making it work with standard redstone timing.
    PetezzaDawg likes this.
  11. I agree with this post. I don't have the raw numbers, but I'm pretty sure the servers can handle vanilla redstone behavior with the current load on the machines. We don't have as many players as we once did; I think it's a worthy consideration!

That being said, I'm not sure if the current changes have removed inefficiencies that vanilla has... 🤔️
  12. um fanila redstone on with a paper server
    im not a chickeneer or some 1 that knows stuf about plugins but basicly paper or bukit or plugins like that make redstone look like fannila but it is not it looks like it but its not tip if u want to make shure a farm works on emc look for works on paper or bucket in the title or description and u need way more hoppers on emc or hopper minecards on hoppers

note cubicmetre made a real good vidioe explaning how muchts pain i go troug efry day needing to a just a ton of stuf that shut work and works in fannila and than u build it and it does not do what u didigned it for specialy weart timing and a lot of them in a row that need to be acurate