Really? Wow...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jayvice, Feb 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In this case, i really don't think he meant it in a religious context. I doubt anybody would make a symbol of wealth and good fortune out of cobblestone. Maybe in diamond blocks. I don't think anybody really follows those religions being how old they are and the player should be banned for religious discrimination
  2. Dark_Liz told JabrZer0 and I that she had seen this before as she was removing a res that we reported to her. That means this is the THIRD time this has happened. The person we reported joined and did nothing but build these, and was also spazzing out and instantly building things and teleporting around the res (Hacking), and he only started this after I found his lot.
    That is true, and it is a shame that this happened, but seriously, the religions that support the original meaning of this symbol are people who aren't going to be playing Minecraft. Personally, I even dislike all of the Hitler skins I have seen before.
  3. On another multiplayer server I inadvertently built a swastika shape from water channels in a auto harvest wheat farm. You couldn't notice it on the ground but on the dynamap my plot depicted a giant blue swastika. As soon as I realised, another player pointed it out, I quickly modified it to be a giant H.

Checked all my other auto harvest wheat farms on both single player and other multiplayer servers and had made every single one the same. I hope no one took offence or thought I was trying to offend.
  4. The fact that you didn't know you did it is fine, but these people are all purposely logging on for the soul reason of building a bunch of swastikas. plus, your situation is more easily understandable, as you couldn't see the shape from the ground. these people are building multiple standing swastikas
  5. I don't think "most" people hate homosexuals, just most of the idiots probably do because of some weird psychological trauma, like being dropped on their heads as babies.
    thecontroller and Yukon1200 like this.
  6. So hindu's, buddists and native americans don't play minecraft? While I'll agree that the majority of EMC players, perhaps even all of them at this current time, are not in a catagory listed above - but that's a pretty broad generalization.

First of all, I agree that in this case it wasn't in a religious context.

Second, Hinduism is the worlds third largest religion, and the swastika is the second most important symbol to them. Millions of people worldwide follow these old religions. However, most of them don't live in the west (though many do). This is the reason that I'm uneasy about blanket bans on swastikas, and think it needs to be assessed on a case by case basis.

I'm sorry if you're offended by swastikas. If they're made in hate and to promote race-hate, then the person needs to go. If they're not, then that's just your problem. There's plenty of things that are allowed in the rules that offend me, I just keep it to myself and move along.
    cnquast likes this.
  7. Isn't that on Pokemon?
  8. Ok so what I meant was that there isn't going to be a sufficient number of players of those religions playing Minecraft on a 6 month old American server for there to be people putting up tons of swastikas all over their lots, and I am sure they know that that symbol is recognized as a hate symbol so no sane person would do that even if they were part of those religions. I could see it being completely acceptable for a hindu person to put up one on their lot made out of a rare material, as to increase its significance, with proper signage to specify why it is there, not dozens made out of dirt. And on another note, Buddhists would not be playing Minecraft PERIOD because that religion is one of meditation and self enlightenment. Playing any type of video game is way outside of their religious contexts.
  9. Umm... sure. They sit on top of mountains all day meditating.
    cnquast likes this.
  10. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism

Read it. And I am not saying that is all they do, but playing computer games is not one of them.
  11. BloodDisciple and nnnnmc1 like this.
  12. I'm Buddhism ;)
    But I'm not strict about it. And im minecraft addicted :p
    Yukon1200 and apamment like this.
  13. All of those educate about or are related to Buddhist ideals which stands with the approaching nirvana thing.

and that's kind of my point, your not strict about it. Am I right to assume that you aren't so traditional as to start posting swastikas all over your lot on a whim within 5 minutes of logging on for the first time (yes this happened)?

Plus this thread was created to discuss what should be done with people who are posting swastikas as hate, and how to sort out those who are not, not to discuss religion.
  14. Another interesting thing you should know about swastikas:

In Germany it is forbidden, to draw/build/whatever a swastika (Exceptions are for education, art, science or historical documents)

I dont know, if "Minecraft" is some kind of art and i also want judge about this, scince im from germany and have a own very refusing attitude about swastikas.
  15. Swastika do stand for religion. But it also a symbol that affect many others that have suffer from what hitler have done.
    In this case. That guy should never build that thing on a community where there are people from around the world. No matter what. It sure hurt someone feeling. Especially those that lose their relative during that time of conflict. Maybe he/she should be ask to remove it. And apologize for it as well. If he/she does reject to do so. Then permanent ban would be the choice for him/her. :)
    Yukon1200 likes this.
  16. I was trying to make the point that it's best to consider the intent swastikas on a case by case basis. I was saying simply banning people the minute you see a swastika might not be the best way to go. I already have said I agreed that this instance was most probably bad. Multiple times.

Most people who follow religions do so in moderation. Does this mean they lose the right to celebrate or display that religion because they're not hardcore and living in a monastery.

This thread was created to report someone for making cobblestone swastikas incase the report function wasn't working correctly.
  17. Yeah I knew they were banned in Germany. Plus today the swastika is a symbol of Nazism not a symbol of Germany, so there is no way you would be judged for being German :p
  18. I agree about the banning issue. No that is not what I am trying to say at all, if nnnnmc1 wanted to put up a swastika then by all means he can do so, but hes also said hes not strict about it so there for not so extreme as to put up swastikas in the manner were talking about here. and yes, it was made to report someone, and then very quickly turned into what to do with people who do put them up because there was defense of that person.
  19. well said. and in my case at least they were asked to take it down and then proceeded to stop talking to people and start hacking and breaking other rules of the empire so they were banned. simple as that :p
    nnnnmc1 likes this.
  20. lol. I would have to think a lot before doing something like "build a swastika". Have to care about other feeling too. :)
    Yukon1200 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.