Raw fish in the /shop?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by margaritte, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Its not the taming, its the breeding. I have tamed them, but they arn't going into "love mode"
  2. hmmmm... i may sell fishing rods for my pond :p
  3. We can have a contest. You catch fish for an hour, I harvest wheat for an hour (and use the remaining 55 minutes I have for making more money from gathering other materials). OR: You buy fish from any source which is not the /shop, I do it with wheat.

A melon harvester takes 30 minutes to build and then you practically have unlimited supply by pressing one button.
  4. I do both. at the same time. I fish with my foot, i make a farm with my face, and i chop trees with my bare fists.
    Dark_Liz likes this.
  5. Well, there's nothing wrong with communism if it's done benvolently and without corruption. ;)

...same goes for capitalism or any other economic mould really.

Thanks for your take on the price of raw fish Buttros. :)

And yeah, there are definitely items that are treated differently than most other items in the Empire Shop for various reasons. The result is that these items have a different standing in the economy, but, overall, it doesn't harm anything... there's still plenty of opportunity for wealth and prosperity with the plethora of other items that can be gathered.
  6. I was just saying that there is some effort involved, it's not just wheat falling from the sky. Regarding melons, I was just letting you know that they have a use besides eating.

I don't really understand the problem, if you like fishing you'll fish, if you don't then don't. In real life you can't expect every occupation to provide the same effort to money ratios.

As far as string goes, it's used in bows which I think a lot of people use (or make wool if you're desperate), but I suspect there isn't much market because it's so easy to get - wack a few cobwebs and you'll have more than you need.
  7. Well, I personally do not mind if fish is a dead market, Apamment. Or if there are other dead markets. Liz is right, nobody needs to worry about rupees on EMC even if he can't afford to be a supporter.

On the other hand I don't see a reason for artificially destryoing a potential market (and thus an aspect of the game) by selling items for such a low price in the /shop that there is no incentive to gather them. This goes mainly for cocoa beans and fish; I have not seen many other items which are affected that much (I do have a lack of knowledge about potions and some other things).

While I appreciate the service the /shop offers I think the price should be so high that it is still rewarding to craft/gather/harvest all goods on your own. After all the /shop provides an unlimited supply, which thus is acting as an hard price cap. Yes, I buy all my brown dyes in the /shop if they aren't sold to me directly. I charge 12r and buy for 9r, so the 2r extra is exclusively for the comfort finding all dyes and other goods in the same section of my shop and everyone who bought to many beans from /shop could get rid of them for practically 1r fee.

Heck, that price range is restricted not by demand and offer/production cost (like all other prices, let's say for wood and cobble) but solely by the effect the /shop has. If cocoa beans were at 100r in the /shop it would affect the outside price equally and possibly make it attractive for treasure hunters to go out and seek abandoned mines.
  8. Ok, I see your point now.

I think the problem though is that if you allow fish / cocoa beans to become so valuable, the things that depend on them will suffer. I don't mind fishing, but as said before it is a bit buggy, and a lot of people find it boring. That would mean there would be very few people who can be bothered harvesting it and selling it. I imagine most people don't care enough to do something they hate in a computer game in order to get more pretend money. The few that do, would then be very wealthy and everything that depends on them would also be very expensive.

I guess I see this as artificially destroying an annoying and buggy potential market to enable and make more accessible markets that are enjoyable to more people.
  9. That's not quite true. If nobody bothers fishing then nobody could breed ocelotes. So those who really want ocelote would either have to fish or pay for the supply. If the price gets high enough you only have to fish for a minimum time to make very comfortably money. Chopping wood or mining cobble is also not very thrilling, yet people do it to earn rupees.

Some guys from our serber were already planning to build fishing grounds, they are discouraged now by the shop price.

Just don't interfere where it is not needed imo.
  10. If nobody bothers fishing, they can buy fish from the empire store - that was my point.

If the fish price gets so high that you only need to do a little fishing to make a lot of money, and the empire store is not available, then the cat market will suffer because of it.

A fishing grounds would be cool. You could have docks and ships and all sorts - well maybe not all on a lot in town. Build stuff because it's fun to build I say.

I guess that's the difference of opinion.
  11. Well following your mindset why not make everything available for 10r at the empire shop? Why should I have to earn rupees to afford diamonds but not to afford fish?

We could just also play without any rupees and build stuff for fun.
  12. because fishing is buggy. because if fishing worked as intended, fish would be worth less than 10r. maybe they'll fix it, but the effort involved vs the quantity needed is skewed because of this bugginess.

we could, i would be ok with that.

anyway i'm tired and i think we're starting to go in circles anyway so i'm going to leave it there.
    Dark_Liz and margaritte like this.
  13. i agree with dark liz. The demand for fish is high right now because the cat craziness just started. I was selling fish for 30r each and people wanted a lot because others were charging 50+. after the craziness it will level out to about 10 so the price at the shop is right.

regarding the playing with no rupees....thats no fun at all...the rupees add an economy aspect of the game that i enjoy thoroughly and would not like to lose...im not as big of a shop as azoundria or leowaste on smp2 when it comes to renown but i sell some things on occasion for cheaper than anyone else and have people clamoring to get them (i.e. i was selling ocelot eggs for 450 when everyone else was 500+)

The novelty will die down, just wait it out and focus on selling other things.
  14. How in the world do you want to know at what price fish will level out? Did you read how difficult it is to achieve one?

Even if fish will level out at 10 why should the shop sell it that cheap? Why is everything else in the shop (except dyes) so horrbily expensive?

All the shop is doing at the moment is taking any motivation from people to sit and fish or trade with it. That's just killing one aspect of the game.
  15. Yeah, I think the bottom line here is that it's a broken aspect of the game at the moment.
  16. I think there are parts which are way more broken. Think of glitching animals. All my sheep glitched out of my shear machines through the ceiling into another fenced area with cows and pigs which disappeared elsewhere.

As a result it is currently almost impossible to gather wool comfortably. That might raise the price for wool. Unless we find a creative solution. Thrilling to find out.

But of course you could just sell wool for 10r a stack in the /shop to make it comfortably for everyone. And meanwhile also jungle saplings since it is a pain to get them. And villager eggs.

I'd really appreciate if you could set it at least to 50 for a while and see how the economy develops. But currently it looks like everyone else doesn't care or appreciate the fish price, so I seem to be outnumbered :)
  17. Yes, that got much worse with 1.2.3. My sheep pen was escape-proof in 1.1. Now my sheep are escaping and dying in the walls. :(
  18. Could that be to do with the extra lag on smp1-4?
  19. I haven't had a problem with fishing at all. It took me about 5 minutes to catch 15 fish. Anything that is difficult to obtain should have a difficult to obtain price tag, it shouldn't be offered at the empire shop for cheap because it's hard to get.

I like the server's economy system, and its really interesting when markets like these arise. No one cared about raw fish a week ago, now everyone wants it, I liked the idea of it being a time invested resource, and thus having a reasonably high price.

Oh well though, you can't please all of the people all of the time :)
  20. nope, smp5. And they do most of their dying on chunk loading, anyways.