Question: Would this affect server tps?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by FierendenMDS, Apr 28, 2023.

1. So I'm pretty new to server MC, but I've been reading a lot about lag and common techniques to reduce it. That said, I'm starting to sketch out in creative something I would love to build on EMC, but it involves a lot of hoppers and chests, which I know can add up. So looking for advice on whether this would be OK to build on an EMC Utopia res.

Without going into too many details, it would be a storage system to start, but I'd eventually like to turn it into a mall. It's basically your typical 1-wide tileable hopper pipe item sorter, but for a lot of items and with extra chests for storage. I'm still new to some of these mods, but Litematica is telling me 6k hoppers (most of those pulling from a double chest) and carpet tick warp is telling me about 2-3 mspt (when sorting) on my modest machine.

So help calibrate my expectations of EMC server capacity. Is this a crazy build or something OK to move forward with?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
  2. 6,000 hoppers would definitely make a noticeable amount of TPS lag occur. Why not try experimenting with minecarts to offset the number of hoppers you need in the end result? I know there's a number of sorting systems that exist that utilize both and are more efficient than relying solely on hoppers alone. :)
    We3_MPO likes this.
  3. I'd be interested to see a more lag friendly item sorter based on minecarts. I haven't managed to find one yet. I've seen plenty of examples for collecting or distributing items, but the only ones I've seen for sorting are going for speed and look worse for server lag to me. If you can point me in the direction of one, I's appreciate it.

It may be a moot point for the build I'm considering though since most of the hoppers are for storage and not for sorting. The schematic I'm playing with now is designed for 384 items and each has 3 hoppers for the sorter and 12 hoppers for storage. Maybe overkill, I know, but I'd like to have multiple DC of inventory for sale at some point for many of these items without having to constantly manually restock the chests.

Curious if anyone else has thoughts on how many hoppers is too many. If 6k is too many, what would a reasonable number be? I've seen mention in the forums that it is even possible to run some kind of load report on a local area, so I'm sure there is some quantitative info on this somewhere but haven't seen any numbers posted. We have hardwired limits on mobs and entities but would be good to have guidance on other things that can add up to too much lag.
  4. I would seriously consider a more efficient storage solution than hoppers, like barrels. Barrels are blocks and not entities like chests are, plus they are not inefficient like hoppers are. Hoppers are poorly designed and check all surrounding valid blocks around them at all times, regardless if there is an item in them or not. This is why hoppers are good in small numbers, but are destructive for the server's TPS performance in large numbers.

6,000 is excessive and would certainly cause major TPS lag as soon as your res is loaded and the hoppers are loaded into render distance for the server. --- If storage is your main concern, then consider using barrels. Translating 6,000 hoppers into chests would not be that friendly to clients, since they are also quite inefficient with the game's code.

I posted a URL to this thread in the EMC Discord to see if anyone on there can chime in since I'm not too savvy with different styles of sorting/storage systems, but I can almost guarantee you that 6,000 hoppers is beyond overkill, and... could spark "staff intervention" if it tanks the server's performance.
  5. I appreciate the barrel suggestion. Sounds like it could be useful to reduce client lag, but as Chickeneer mentioned, probably won't affect server performance. Also, I think you meant barrels instead of chests as opposed to barrels instead of hoppers? I'm not using the hoppers directly for storage. I'm using them to link chests for larger storage.

To be clear, I won't have any uncapped hoppers (pulling entities from the world). All would be either pulling from chests or part of a horizontal hopper pipe and capped with composters.

I had a feeling 6k hoppers would be too much, that's why I posted here before starting the build. If 6k is too much, then my follow-up question is how many are reasonable. Just looking for some general guidance from people in the know.

A quick recap for those that might be joining from Discord and didn't read the OP, I'm basically trying to create a block sorter with attached storage, but on a fairly large scale. It would initially be for personal storage until I can get the inventories up and then I'd like to open it up as a mall. I think this type of mall has a lot of advantages over existing ones if the server can handle it, which is why I'm posting here.

I appreciate the forward to EMC Discord. I'm not too familiar with Discord much yet myself so appreciate the help. Thanks :)
    Joy_the_Miner likes this.
  6. I could have a look at how many hoppers I have on my res.

I built a sorter with ~1k hoppers for another user and seems to work fine
    Joy_the_Miner and FierendenMDS like this.