[Poll time!] Are Minecraft worlds becoming more appealing?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ShelLuser, Jun 5, 2017.

?

Are new worlds becoming more appealing?

Poll closed Jul 5, 2017.
Yes, new worlds get better seeds. 1 vote(s) 14.3%
Not sure, I don't see much difference to be honest. 2 vote(s) 28.6%
No, this is all your imagination Shell. 2 vote(s) 28.6%
Other (please leave a comment below!) 2 vote(s) 28.6%
  1. Hi gang!

Every time when we go into the 'snapshot period' I use the moment as an excuse to start a new world in which I goof around a bit. Basically a mixture between playing with survival as well as playing in creative. Both to check out new features, find & report bugs and to learn more about Minecraft.

But I couldn't help notice that nearly every time I generated a new world (using newer versions of the game) I ended up with very appealing areas, areas in which I could easily spend several hours or so just to explore the whole thing. And quite frankly that started to make me wonder...

Are Minecraft worlds getting better with every new release?

When the 1.12 snapshot came out I generated "Snapworld" (as I always do) and ended up with an area which had this huge ravine which went on into a big cave. When followed you'd get into a t-junction where the ravine crossed another huge ravine. I never bothered myself to explore it in survival (did fly around in creative/spectator), but it was highly appealing.

Just now I fired up a new world for some testing (and an upcoming tutorial) and.... Well, just take a look for yourself:

So first I end up on a very inviting starting point. There's a cave in the distance, there's coal in the side of the mountain and plenty of wood around me. All the ingredients you need to get started.

When I climbed up the mountain I suddenly noticed this floating structure, which worked like a magnet on me. What is up there? Could there be animals up there? Trees? How would I get up there? Maybe I could use that as a starting point to build my own sky castle...

Note: just to be clear here: this was all generated, I haven't touched a single block yet!

Then when I look to the left I saw the lava and worse... How it started a forest fire. This is probably something you won't see too often on the Empire (and for good reasons mind you!) but yeah, it does add to the atmosphere. So now I also had a forest fire to cope with.

And finally... This is the first day of playing, but obviously that huge "sky plateau" casted a shadow which drew the attention of nasties. Talk about a challenging new game! :cool:

(edit) Here is the seed if you're interested: 8474071666555066909

Now... I hear some of you thinking: worlds are generated using random seeds, so sometimes you get good stuff and sometimes you get bad stuff. I get that. But still...

I even experience this on the Empire. With every new waste reset so far I sometimes get the impression that the area got better. More loot (variations) to find, more different areas to explore, larger caves, more variation...

Heck, a few weeks back I got so curious that when I noticed Krysyy hopping onto SMP2 I quickly asked her if staff by any chance enhanced on the waste (so, for example, by adding extra ores or maybe applying some other random changes to it). Her answer was very simple: all worlds were generated using vanilla mechanics.

So.... I figured I'd ask you guys :)

What do you think?
    607 likes this.
  2. Haha, interesting!
    I do think world generation is a lot better than it was 'back in the day', and not only because of the new biomes and more realistic biome distribution. However, I do feel like cave and ravine structures were more epic in Beta. But that might all just be perception. ;)
  3. Cool seed. I used creative to go to a stronghold and found a zombie spawner 10 blocks or so behind the wall of the end portal room. That would make an excellent xp grinder to repair armor to face the dragon.

Edit: Also I located a mansion.... This one had a cat wool statue and a farming room for melons and pumpkins.
  4. I wonder if EMC may select specific seeds for the wastelands ahead of time?
    BlinkyBinky and ShelLuser like this.