[PC Issue] Graphics card issues

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by xHaro_Der, Jan 28, 2014.

1. My GPU isn't 4 years old. I bought it 2 months ago from Amazon :O
  2. 80C is ridiculously hot. If you are talking F, that is more reasonable.
  3. If its an older card, the manufacturing date means that the paste has had years to dry out.
    Heat from the chip just accelerates the process.
    It could also have a small air pocked of air in the paste.
    Just too many variables. Hit as many as you can, and go from there.
    One other thing maybe, if not hardware... is drivers...see if an older one works better.
    On one computer here, the later driver is bad, and causes issue, but the older one works flawless.
  4. A Geforce 610 is less than two years old.
  5. Ancient technology compared to today's hardware.
    Still, even though only two years old, its still a lower end card that matches performance of high end cards of 5-8 years prior. It is also based on (or replaced) the GT520, which is a pretty old card.
    The EVAg ones that we got here run fine though for what we do.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce GT 610
  6. Well iv'e only used ati cards in my 16 years of building computer's, so 80c may be fine for some cards but in my experience its way to hot. And buy doing a search his cards normal temps under load are 55c ~ 60c I made an educated guess that his artifacting is from high temps. keep in mind 80c is 176f that's hot enough to cook an egg.

You may have just got a bad card then:oops: It happens more than you would think, its usually good to buy from new egg or any where that has a good return policy.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  7. You are right, so it is three years old. While that is old in hardware terms, we are talking about Minecraft here, so it is not like a stellar graphics card is needed. He needs a new card, but that is because this one is likely breaking down due to a manufacturer's error, but not because it is old.
    highlancer54 likes this.
  8. Should I contact Amazon for a replacement?
  9. I would. I have a friend who has a card that is supposed to run hotter than yours and is weaker than yours, and it has never hit 75C under load.
  10. Do you know how replacements work with Amazon? Like, would I sent mine back first and then they send the new one (I would have to use integrated for a while) or would they do cross-shipping? And how long would shipping take :O
  11. No 80 degrees Celsius is the normal for my card at load just look up nivida GeForce 780 ti
  12. Just because your card to run's that hot doesn't mean its normal for other card's. Not every one like's there computer to also be a space heater.
  13. 80C is supposed to be your card's peak temperature, not its normal temperature.
  14. Totally false, just look at what you said and think that over. If this WAS true it would mean that somehow minecraft corrupted ALL cards(old and new) and for some reason only minecraft won't work. Maybe a driver update, but this is definitely false.
  15. Dojodo is 100% correct on this one, (Nice GPU by the way! :) ) Sooooo much idiocy going around this thread, That card is FINE at 70,80, heck I'd be fine if it ran at 90C all day long, it is not hot in GPU terms, Even Nvidia themselves say it's rated for up to 102C, My R9-290 is designed to run at 95C all day long and won't even cut off until 125C.
    Dojodo likes this.
  16. Wow just wow....
    First dojodo just looked at what his card dose and is making suggestions. Its not the same card, not all gpu's are the same... And the 780 max temp 95c after that it starts to throttle is speed to keep from going over that. 80c is farly close to that and most knowledgeable people like to have them 70c or lower from what iv'e read..

Second I took the time to look up xHaro's card and its normal for it to run under load @ 55~60 celsius, not 80c plus.. His card dose have a max temp of 102c but if its artifacting @ 80 well...

Third Minecraft is not a super high end game and should not be pushing a gfx card to its limit. If a game like minecraft is making his card get to 80c and start to artifact, there is no doubt there Is something wrong with the card.

Fourth Its idiotic to think that its good for a gfx card to be designed to run 100c plus... I don't know a bought you but I don't like sweating while playing a game on my computer that's making the room its in 110f plus in the summer. And I like for my card to work for years to come not until the next new one come's out.

So in conclusion if you want to call me an idiot for sharing my opinions / experience fine the feeling's mutual :p
  17. You are correct, not all GPUs are the same, well done for working that one out. I'd suggest you look up something called Nvidia GPU boost 2.0, what it does is decide on a fan speed, a temperature and clock speed that depending on there preference (Quiet will lower clock speeds before raising fan speed for example) if you leave it on default, it by default goes to 82c, this is what Nvidia consider a 24/7 max temperature for 5 years of rated use (Min) Which is why the 780ti gets to 82c, so if the 780ti, with it's lower max temperature, as you've pointed out will go to 82c, why can't the OP's GPU hit 80c all day long, it has a higher max temperature.

I've looked up the stats and all I can find is forums showing that the GPU often reaches 80+ under gaming (Exact thing OP is getting) along with many people, please link me to the stats of this '55~60' as all I can find is this
    http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/861653.aspx
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1831410/evga-geforce-610.html#11688181

You'd be surprised, Minecraft on one of the lowest end GPUs on the market is pretty demanding, it pulls about 20-30% load on my R9-290 (One of the highest end GPUs), I imagine it is pretty much maxing that GPU out.

You'd be correct, I wouldn't like to run the GPU at 100c all day, it's never good to apply more than the boiling point of water to a GPU die, you get issues with condensation and all other fancy milarky, but going back to my previous point, 80C is fine.

Finally, you say 'I don't like sweating while playing a game on my computer' (Shortened) the GPU running at 80C would make absolutley 0 difference in temperature to a GPU under the same load, outputting the same amount of wattage of heat at 30C, it's just the heat is being immediately taken into the air at 30c, not so much at 80c.

If you'd like to continue this discussion, I suggest we do it in PM, as afterall, I don't really want to clutter up these forums with unnecessary spam.

(P.S, It's 2:37AM here right now, please excuse any grammatical, punctuation or sentences that make no sense, my brain isn't functioning at peak efficiency.
  18. all i have to say is any card running at 82c would make me cry when this is what mine looks like with a x256 texture pack and the ultra shaders pack from the shaders mod.
    mycard.png
    darkvilla and jkjkjk182 like this.
  19. Then do you have any idea what might be the reason for not being able to playing minecraft anymore? When I googled it, the only solutions I found was buying a new graphics card.
  20. What card are you using?