My Steam Greenlight Game

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by DemonThunder345, Feb 16, 2015.

?

Did you "Like" the Game Concept on Steam?

Yes 6 vote(s) 42.9%
No I did not like the game 8 vote(s) 57.1%
  1. This looks like something much better suited to one of those flash-game sites, like Newgrounds.
    Decent art can be made in MSPaint. It's not easy, it takes time, but it can be done. This looks like something you threw together in 5 minutes, and it's very off-putting. Graphics alone do not make the game, but they do help sell it.

Maybe it would've been best to hold off on the announcement until you had a game to show, in that case? Something to keep in mind for the future, I suppose.

Best do that. Any attempt to commercialize copyrighted or trademarked IP is going to be met with swift backlash and probably lawsuits as soon as the company that owns that IP finds out about it. Unless you're willing to shell out several grand for the privilege of advertising their product for them (which they would call "the right to display" it).

Not to sound harsh - I've played some great flash games that weren't much better-looking than this. But Steam isn't the place for what you have here. Keep working at it, go back and improve your art (or find someone willing to work with you), and continue developing. :) I don't want to discourage you from this project, just make sure you understand what you're getting into.
  2. So if I had lets say and orange circle and it had a white background, I could do surface.set_colorkey(white) ? Would I have to define white? But would it be the same white as the paint softwares?
    607 likes this.
  3. Try using inkscape for the graphics. There are a few tutorials you will have to read and it is a different way of drawing than paint, but you will probably find it better.

For you question, you would need the RGB value of the color you want to use. If your current painting software doesn't give you that, you really need to get another.
    607 likes this.
  4. The point of a concept is that I have an idea of a game and I see if people would want to play the game. The game is not complete at all. If anyone wants to help me with the art skills since im no Alice or Palmsugar (idk if those still play here btw). But yeah, this game isnt finished but I am working on it. Also games with graphics not like GTA5 are still fun to play imo.
  5. Okay. This is interesting.
    But it doesn't look suitable for Steam. Have you made any successful games before? If not, I think you should try getting something on Newgrounds first.
    Newgrounds has something similar to greenlight I think, but the requirements for a game to be approved are way less harsh.
    Also, I think it's a bit weird to already make a post about the game if it's still only a concept, but that's your choice, and it's not per say a bad thing. But now we can't know for sure you'll actually get anywhere.
    I could compose music for your game, as soon as I see it's actually getting somewhere. If the development of this game is actually making progress, I'll pm you and we can work things out.
    I won't charge real life money, I'm content with rupees.
    Palmsugar is still active, but not too much posting on the forums. Alice is having exams, she'll come back when they're over (August or so, I think)

That was some feedback that just came to my mind at 20:15, I'll put my iPad to bed now and I hope this project will fare well :)
  6. I actually also would be happy to help with your game if you make progress with it. I personally have thrown hours away making side scrolling 2d games that I never published. I could help you make some sprite sheets for characters and terrain if you want?
    607 likes this.
  7. I understand what "concept" means, but that's not what Greenlight is for. Greenlight is for finished (or at least at a "playable-alpha" stage) games that are ready to see the light of day. And even then that's no guarantee - look up Jim Sterling's videos on "Air Control" or "Guise of the Wolf" for example (warning: language).

Also, nowhere in my post did I say graphics had to be "GTA5" photo-awesome. Just the opposite. I've had a blast with simple sprite games like FTL or Gnomoria - I'm just saying concept sketches in paint won't cut it, you'll need to take your time and effort if you want your work to be met with more than "meh," at best.

Game concepts and ideas are a dime a thousand, everyone's got them by the dozen. You're ahead of the curve so far in that you're trying to realize yours, and I applaud that. Keep going! Just don't expect a warm or overwhelmingly positive response to what you've shown here - we can't see inside your head to picture what the ideal, finished product would look or play like, only what's shared with us.
    607 likes this.
  8. It is making progress so far and if you were to help me with some music for it that would be wonderful. I can give you some money but the only valuable thing I have is 50k, a cupid chest, and a mall that I never stocked because EMC just lost interest in me again. But yea send me a pm and we can work some stuff out.
    That would be great if you could help me make some of terrain and sprite sheets, and even better if you could help me program it lol. Send me a pm and we can work some stuff out. :)
    Im pretty sure Paintbrush for mac does show you the RGB color values, so what is the command I would do to do this?
  9. Unfortunately, if you were Palmsugar (or Alice) you'd be too busy offline to be making games. xD
    Good luck with the game and I hope you'll find someone to help out with the graphics, or learn more about it yourself!
    Also, it looks like you're trying to rush the development process of this game. Be patient and keep making steady progress. :)
    607 and snow_freak like this.
  10. Or look at some of NerdCubed's 'Hell' videos and his 'My Problems with Steam' video :p
    So you spent £80 so that your concept of a game, that may or may not get made and has little to no support from the Steam community to actually get on Steam, could get on Greenlight? I wish I had money to burn like that.
  11. Err no submitting a concept to steam is free
  12. The command is
    Code:
    Surface.set_colorkey(Rgb color)
    and that should work as long as you change surface to the name of your surface.
    607 likes this.
  13. Ive been doing a lot of essays lately because of my annoying LASS teacher, so i havent got around to this much
  14. What does "LASS" stand for? :)
  15. Language arts and social studies
    607 likes this.