[CLOSED] My computer issues and need your help to make a decision

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by JDHallows, May 25, 2017.

?

Which should I do? (see thread for options)

Poll closed Jun 1, 2017.
Option 1 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Option 2 2 vote(s) 33.3%
Option 3 3 vote(s) 50.0%
Other Option, detailed below 1 vote(s) 16.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So, over the past couple of weeks I have been kind of inactive on EMC, only logging on occasionally. This is because my current laptop, a Macbook Pro, has been giving me issues. Currently, it is sitting in a repair shop where the people are waiting to hear what I want to do with it.

The keyboard in it has gone bad, which means that they not only have to replace it, but the whole top case of the Macbook because of the way Apple builds these things. Thus, they quoted me for $250 to fix it.

This is why I am writing to all of you lovely people. I have been doing some research on my Macbook:
    Late 2013 13" Retina Macbook Pro - 256 GB SSD - Core i5 2.4 GHz

From what I have seen on EBay, my model is selling on average for around $700 in used, but working condition (feel free to correct me if you find that number to be incorrect). However, selling it as-is with the keyboard issues, I think I could get around $450 (again, feel free to correct me).

So, if my numbers are right, the cost for the repair shop to repair my Macbook would only bring it back up to its current market value, right? So my question is, which of the following options would be my best option?

Option 1: Pay to have the Macbook repaired and keep it, running the risk of something else going wrong later on and having to pay more to fix it again.
    Option 2: Pay to have the Macbook repaired and sell it, hopefully to get the $700 for it and take that money to buy a new laptop.
    Option 3: Sell the Macbook as-is, and hope to get the $450 for it and buy a new laptop.

I would not buy a Mac computer again (after this craziness especially, but also other reasons not for this thread), but instead go with a Windows gaming laptop. I don't like desktops, I prefer being mobile with my computer, so I have to spend the extra to get the laptop. Currently, I am looking at this laptop specifically: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y4GZS9C/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

So, feel free to respond below and give me some advice, and answer the poll above. If you can think of a 4th option for me or a better laptop around that same price range, then also please leave a comment below detailing that out. Thanks!
    WardleDeBoss and TomvanWijnen like this.
  2. Well I don't have to much experience with that so I'm just going to say best of luck to fixing it or getting a new one
    WardleDeBoss and JDHallows like this.
  3. Well... My dad did have some problems with a macbook from 2013 because the battery "swelled" up literally, so the trackpad was not working, but doesn't seem like that is your problem.

Also, if you carry too much your laptop with screen opened, It might affect the circuits, because macs aren't made for being moved and worked on at the same time. My mom did this regularly, so her computer ended up glitchy to a point it was no longer useable.

Curious: what is the problem. "Keyboard gone bad" is not very useful to understand the state of the computer... For the options, do what you desire the most, is the best tip i can give you.
    WardleDeBoss and JDHallows like this.
  4. Thanks ;)
    Well, it started with just the n key not working sometimes, to not working at all, to now it just spams the letter n all the time, like somebody is holding the key down. It got pretty frustrating to use, so I took it in, and as I suspected, they told me the keyboard would have to be replaced, and here I am :p
    WardleDeBoss likes this.
  5. If your estimations are correct, seems like options 2 and 3 would pretty much be the same - I would be a little hesitant personally about repairing then selling because you may not make as much as you would like.

I don't think I would personally repair and keep, given the fact that you want to move away from mac anyhow, and the technology will just continue to become outdated; besides that Acer looks niiiiice ;)
    FadedMartian and JDHallows like this.
  6. That looks a decent spec, only issue I would say maybe the weight of it. I use a laptop also for the flexibility of mobility :D . Mine is a Hp ENVY i7 4700MQ CPU @240 GHZ, 12GB Ram 2016 model and it works fine with win 10, although it did work better with win 8.1. If that helps.

Can't help with the other sorry
    JDHallows likes this.
  7. Thanks, that does help some. :)

And thank you to everyone for your input, after considering what everyone said on this thread and thinking about it some, I have chosen to go with Option 3, selling the laptop as-is and buying a new one. Since this thread has served its purpose, I am closing it. Thank you all again!
    We3_MPO, Eviltoade and ToddV like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.