[Mod guide] Taking a look at Schematica

Discussion in 'Player Guides, Tips and Tricks' started by ShelLuser, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Hi gang,

After reading SkareCboi's guide on how to install Forge/LiteLoader (be sure to check that out!) I figured it might be a nice idea to take a look at some of the mods I've been using lately. In this case a mod I recently discovered: Schematica.

If you're looking for an easy way to import some of your buildings onto the Empire then this is the mod for you!

Warning: Although schematica is an allowed mod there is one feature which you should not use on the Empire: the print feature. By default this is turned off, so this should pose no problem. But I figured I'd add a specific disclaimer for those who only skim over this tutorial.

What is Schematica?

If you have read some of my guides then you probably know that I'm very enthusiastic about the structure blocks which got introduced in Minecraft 1.10. These blocks allow you to save and load structures in your Minecraft worlds, see my (rather extensive) tutorial right here.

But Mojang wasn't the first to come up with this idea. David Rio Vierra created the program MCEdit long before this, and as it's name implies it allows you to edit Minecraft worlds outside Minecraft. In fact, it allows you to edit just about everything in such a world. From the individual blocks in the world to the inventory slots of a player or the characteristics of a specific item. And... It allows you to save ("export") and load ("import") structures using so called schematic files.

My player character inside a (downloaded) Minecraft world which I loaded into MCEdit.

So schematica is a kind of (file) structure used to store & retrieve Minecraft data. But there's more. It also inspired a guy called Lunatrius to create a mod (plugin) which allowed you to load these structures, display them in your Minecraft game and also to export selected structures. Making this plugin an ideal solution if you're looking to recreate things on the Empire.

You can find the mod description (and download links) right here.

A Schematica demonstration

My friend AyanamiKun and me discovered a well (Minecraft generated structure) in the wasteland some time ago. It got her thinking and she came up to me with the idea for a wishing well and wondered if this would be doable on the Empire.

So I set out into my redstone world, started thinking (it conveniently allowed me to apply a technique I've recently discovered ;)) and I came up with this design:

Wishing well, top size.

Wishing well, underground redstone mechanics.

I suppose I could describe the build and the whole design in a building tutorial, but considering some of the complexity that might turn out even bigger than this guide. And another problem is that Aya isn't really familiar with redstone. So what is fully logical to me could be hocus pocus for her. So I decided to export my whole building using the Schematica plugin.

Selecting & exporting a structure

Schematica has 3 main operating keys, all found on the numeric keypad:
    • / => Load a schematic file.
    • * => Make a selection & export it in a schematic file.
    • - => Schematic control (moving the schematic & showing statistical data).
    Selecting a structure is very simple and comparable to using Mojang's corner structure blocks: you basically select 2 opposite corners of the structure which will then select the area used for exporting. Schematica does this by setting a red and blue point ('corner'):
    Schematica save screen, after pressing * this screen will be shown.

Here I selected both corners of my structure (notice the red & blue virtual blocks?).

You simply stand near one of the corners, point the cross hair to the right location, press * to bring up the selection/save screen and then click on red to set the first corner, optionally also using the X, Y and Z coordinates to fine-tune the selection. And don't forget to turn on the save option by clicking the button below (by default it's named Off, see the screenshot above). This allows Schematica to show the actual selection outline. Then go to the opposite side and select the other corner by clicking the blue option.

When done give the schematic an appropriate name (I named mine wishing_well) and click Save (see the lower right corner of the selection screen).

Loading & building a structure

Pressing / will bring up the schematic file loading screen, here you can select the file which you want to import and then it'll be loaded and shown in your Minecraft world:

I'm on SMP4 (AyanamiKun's residence) and I selected the load option.

The structure outline is loaded, pressing - brings up the positioning screen.

So now that the structure is loaded it's time for me to reposition it (it needs to go below ground) and get some building materials. I go to SMP2 (using /smp2) and grab some materials from my storage. Only one problem... How many repeaters did I actually use again? Fortunately this isn't a problem when you use Schematica. Notice the 'Materials' button above? This will show you exactly what you need, and how much you have currently available already in your inventory:

I grabbed some materials from my storage...

Schematica's material feature shows me that I still need 1 more dropper.

Don't get yourself confused with the red 0; that only shows you how much of the structure has already been build. And since we haven't even started yet there's obviously nothing placed. So back to SMP4:

As you can see I repositioned my build, and now it's time to make some room which I can use to actually place all the blocks. I dig out a large enough hole and immediately run into a problem. Because... Where the heck am I going with this, I can't see a thing anymore! :eek:

Is that a real dirt block or... why the heck can't I walk forward anymore?!

Fortunately Schematica also provides a solution for this problem: I can actually show all the different layers of the structure one by one, which allows me to keep a good overview of both the virtual blocks which I still need to place as well as the real blocks which are already there:

Here I'm only showing one layer of my structure...

Just bring up the schematic control screen using -, and click on the ALL button (in the upper right corner). Now Schematica won't show all of the structure but just the individual layer which you selected.

And if you make a mistake...

In case you place a block but then forget something specific then Schematica will show this by displaying an orange outline. In this case I forgot to select the right delay on the repeater. Instead of one tick I needed to set it to two ticks (right click on the repeater once).

And in case you're wondering how much you have completed the current shown selection (either the entire structure, or the individual level) then all you have to do is check up on your material selection again:

Here you can see that I'm pretty much done with this layer...

In fact, I'm pretty much done with the entire building:

Don't let the missing sandstone confuse you, I decided to also use some of the available dirt.
  2. 2 important caveats to remember!

Do not use the print feature on the Empire!

If you check some of my screenshots above you'll see mentioning of a 'print' feature. What this basically does is to automatically select and place materials from your inventory into the world. Without you doing a single thing yourself, the whole structure will simply 'magically' appear. I hope it doesn't require further explanation why this isn't a fair thing to use. No excuses.

Even if you do make mistakes while building then Schematica has your back and it will easily point them all out, as I've shown you above.

Entities are not included!

Not everything in Minecraft is a block. A picture frame, an item stand and even a minecart are actually entities. Killable entities I might add, just like your regular mob is. Unfortunately this also means that if you're using Schematica then you'll be missing out on these entities. They will not be saved in the schematic file.

So in my example above that resulted in this problem:

Aya! help! ;)

So what does this wishing well actually do?

Aya to the rescue & just in time for a demonstration :)

It's really very simple: you throw an item into the water and it'll disappear. In case you're wondering: No, there's no hopper in the water, just a solid sandstone block floor. Afer that the lamp will light up to indicate that you have actually thrown something in. Next you simply push the button, the item gets released (lamp goes out) and eventually it'll be placed in the chest so that you can pick it up again:

And there you have it...

From a design in a Creative (redstone) world to an easily rebuild structure on the Empire.
  3. I've used Schematica for a long time and have found it really useful. I've not verified it, but I think the Print function is disabled by the server. I remember Aikar posting about disabling the feature some time ago.

My schematics have not always been compatible between versions. If I have one I intend to re-use, I build it in a SP world so I can re-copy the schematic. When I've done this, I have also added signs with reminders or other helpful information, like the contents of Hoppers or operation instructions.

I often also use the layer control which makes it easy to build up and to isolate different parts of the build. It can also be a pain repositioning the build if you log out. I think you can switch servers using the /smp command though.

Something funny that I have done while using it is to try to jump onto the ghost image. I've taken some nasty falls when building outside of Town.
    SkareCboi, Equinox_Boss and ShelLuser like this.
  4. Great guide :)

Just wanted to add one thing: If you are into WorldEdit, you can use schematic files created by WorldEdit in Schematica and vice versa.
    Equinox_Boss, ShelLuser and Tuqueque like this.
  5. Now help me get mods in general on mac pls shel lol
    Equinox_Boss and ShelLuser like this.
  6. A good way to get hold of mods on the Empire is to check the staff page and simply PM them. No installation required! :D

ok, sorry, bad pun, I just couldn't resist ;)

If you check the allowed mods wiki page (http://mods.emc.gs/) then you'll notice that all mod names are links. Just click on them and you'll be directed to their official page (or thread) from which you can download stuff.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  7. When I just saw the title I could've sworn it said [Man Guide] and I was like, what?... lol
  8. And so players came up to me asking: "Can I have that?" :)

Sure guys, you can. BUT... The structure block might easier on you; to compensate for the lack of "inter-server operability" I even included a 'do it yourself' toolbox which contains all the required items.

Schematica file can be downloaded here.
    Structure file (for use with structure blocks) can be grabbed here.

Hope ya'll enjoy :)